NWN2 Jagged Alliance Mod

...While modders will be able to take advantage of the power and flexibility of the Overland Map and Trading System features along with other world-building enhancements.

The new NWN2 expansion pack makes something extremely strange but potentially cool very, very possible: We could actually make a mod that tries to make a D&D version of Jagged Alliance 2, set somewhere in the FR. Build a team of mercs. Take locations and hold them. Buy and sell stuff to buy better mercs. Queen Dedrianna as a D&D NPC, holed up in a fortress with her henchman Elliot (who is an idiot).

We could even McGuyver a sort of magical-internet GUI to pass instructions!

OK, it might suck and I've the technical skills of a housebrick but I'm prepared to write dialogue. Who's in?

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

What is the D&D equivalent of an M24? ALso how does one make it magical? M24 + 5?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Too bad that the supposed Jagged Alliance 3 is going to lose a large chunk of the open world concept. A mod of an existing game might be the best hope. Still no word if FO3 is going to come with a construction kit, afaik. I really hop it does. Seeing what the fan community could produce with the assets of FO3 and a construction kit would be pretty interesting.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

May I suggest that if you try to do something like this, that you don't confine youself to NWN2: Jagged Alliance mod? I think you can have much more succes by trying to create a tactically interesting mod that lets itself be inspired by all the great tactics games out there instead of trying to shoehorn Jagged Alliance into something that it doesn't fit.

@ CrashGirl's JA3 mulling.

I keep wondering why anyone at all would be interested in JA3. From my way of seeing things JA2 took that way of doing tactical squadbased roleplaying games (or whatever freakishly long name you call that genre :bat: ) to its ultimate potential. I personally think that any squad based tactical roleplaying games should try to steer away from the genres-within-the-genres that are already established and try to break new ground into something that haven't been explored withing the genre.

The X-COM series is an example of why series shouldn't be continued unless it can be justified by there still being new ground withing the subgenre that the game covers.

I guess I should end my squad-based-tactical-roleplaying-game drought induced rant now.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

The X-COM series is an example of why series shouldn't be continued unless it can be justified by there still being new ground withing the subgenre that the game covers.

I think it would be great if someone did a remake or an unofficial sequel to XCOM though. I'd love to see the exact same game, just with somewhat modern graphics. No need to change anything at all. Except maybe an easier way to equip your soldiers so you don't ahve to go through that loudout screen before every...single...mission.

I guess there is supposed to be an XCOM sequel/remake in development now, but unti I know more about it I reallty can't say too much positive about it.

We'll see.

Why not just play X-COM then?

Are you seriously saying that you would rather developers spend their time creating XCOM 1.5 instead of breaking new ground and starting a different but good and interesting series of games within the tactical squadbased roleplaying game genre?

The reason fro me to even mention the XCOM series, was that I think the reason why it went so downhill is that there is little more to do there, without creating versions that are just improved ones instead of being new, i.e. they don't (can't) innovate in important areas without becoming something else than XCOM and as such I don't see the point of creating anymore XCOM (or JA) games.

I don't know, why don't I watch more silent pictures? Technology has advanced an insane amount since the last Xcom, at least in a graphical sense. There is room for improvement in the JA and Xcom series, but they are primarily from a graphical and animation standpoint.

I still load up JA2 (although I dread trying it on my new Vista system) and I played Xcom about two years ago. JA2 still looks decent, but Xcom definitely shows a few wrinkles. They aren't getting prettier, and I don't think it's abnormal to hope that someday someone will give them a makeover without butchering the charming gameplay.

I don't know, why don't I watch more silent pictures? Technology has advanced an insane amount since the last Xcom, at least in a graphical sense. There is room for improvement in the JA and Xcom series, but they are primarily from a graphical and animation standpoint.
Comparing the difference between relatively advanced 2d graphics and modern 3d to modern movies and silent films is a bit of a stretch isnt't it?

I still load up JA2 (although I dread trying it on my new Vista system) and I played Xcom about two years ago. JA2 still looks decent, but Xcom definitely shows a few wrinkles. They aren't getting prettier, and I don't think it's abnormal to hope that someday someone will give them a makeover without butchering the charming gameplay.

I guess my problem is that I see game developement as a zero-sum game and as such a souped-up JA2 (or XCOM) would be infinitely worse than a new series where the developers can innovate and create a lot without ruining anything.

Also JA2 works fine on Vista.

I can see your point, as Xcom was basically redone recently in a game called UFO: Extraterrestrials. The graphics were a lot more modern (although I don't think it was 3d.) It was mediocre at best. It really tried to take everything from the original and recreate it, and it wasn't enough.

I think what I'm looking for is taking the best parts of Xcom, and then adding some great stuff. The best parts of Xcom are the wonderful TB combat, soldier development, and strategic layer. I just don't see any games coming out with those core components, and that saddens me. It doesn't even have to be an alien setting, I'd be happy with any setting and those components.

Looking at the original JA and JA2, you can see how they improved upon a strong property. They made huge changes in JA2, but they kept the zany personalities and strong TB combat intact. That is the growth I would look for in JA3. Sadly I don't expect that to happen, but my hopes for JA3 is that it's a decent improvement over Silent Storm.

I had hoped for Jagged Alliance 3 to continue the gameplay of sector based control game while its turn based aspects being improved on, which is already done as it is using Silent Storm's engine. Even better if the players have access to building/upgrading stronghold(s) similarly to X-Com:

Imagine building a helicopter pad gives you access to air support. Garages for light tanks or humvees. Armory to store weapon loots as well as bonuses for repairing weapons. Medicbay is self-explanatory. Radio comm tower grants access to communication to the outside world to receive international community's aid in form of finances or the blackmarkets depending on the player's reputation.

Unfortunately, Jagged Alliance 3 is seen to be a game that is taking the short cut's route: Simply a Silent Storm 1.5 game with a modern setting.

Me a sad panda. :biggrin:

A new Xcom would be groovy, not just a graphical upgrade, but it doesn't HAVE to try and be radical either.

The xcom hud was godawful for a start.

The combat interface using Silent Storm's engine would be groovy, with updated aesthetics of course. What I enjoyed in Silent Storm is the ability to sidestep, unlike in Jagged Alliance 2 where if the enemy is positioned at the corner behind the door, entering it will guarantee a 100% interruption from them since your field of vision is obstructed.

Well, I wouldn't be opposed to improvements in a new XCOM, but foe me, simply being able to play XCOM in a nice high resolution with lots of colors and a 3d engine with a moveable camera would be more than enough.

I can't really think of too many improvements that could be made to the game though anwyay.

None of this matters though since any xcom remake is bound to be some sort of nausea inducing realtime linear mission affair anyway.

The question is moot. :thumbsup: