Freedom Force Vs. Entertainment

So I picked up Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich for about ten bucks and I've gotten about to the point where Freedom Force is getting ready to battle the Third Reich, which takes longer than you might think. While I'm enjoying the game as a whole, one thing that I'm not enjoying is the dialogue. Freedom Force is a superhero game, you see, and since superheroes come from comic books, the designers thought it would be amusingly campy to have the characters talk like comic book characters.

And it was, for a while, amusingly campy. But it's rapidly becoming tooth-grindingly obnoxious. The characters are just idiots, and babysitting unlikeable morons is never much fun. Given that I'm only now reaching the Third Reich part, I'm wondering whether it will join the pile of never-to-be-finished games on my shelf. I hope not, since it's a fun game otherwise. The heroes all play differently, and I've had a nice variety of challenges so far. There's some trouble with the camera and interface, and the game does not seem to be as difficult as the setting would advertise, but I've really no other complaints.

I've played both and think they are about equal. Gameplay is very similar and the stories are both fairly out there in the end. There is a lot of camp going on in both games, but that's part of the appeal for me.

But if you're getting annoyed by the camp, it's not going to go away. So there's that.

While I enjoyed both a great deal, I have to agree that the voices start to grate after a while. Especially the narrator.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 11 months later...

I was disappointed that they deviated from their initial plan. They were originally going to do a trilogy based on the various ages of comics. Golden Age, which was the first game, with the campy super-patriotic characters and such. Silver age, which is slightly less campy and delivered most of our iconic characters. Then the modern age, with all the cheesy anti-heroes and such.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg