Arcania: A Gothic Tale

A quick look at a few of Arcania's quests, with English voice actors:

http://www.arcania-game.com/?lang=en&ID=1897

The main character sounds good, but the other characters vary wildly in quality. Still better than Two Worlds, and I survived that.

Framerate varies wildly too. I have the feeling that this game will still be a rushed mess even after the delays. :grin:

At least it looks good.

When I get the game I am going to brutally murder that digger. and that barmaid, and that brigand. If they can't get good VA for minor characters they might as well make them unobtrusive, or let you turn off VA altogether. Seriously, it's amazing that these days devs spend money to make their own game worse.

That said, still looks like a good old RPG romp and I should be getting it.

• 2 weeks later...

41 hours to download... it's only 1.7Gb. Maybe they are a bit busy at the moment :)

Might try again in a day or two.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Will be super interested in thoughts, though I've already blown my bandwidth on the football game demos. :)

Faster download here.

It still says 2+ hours, but much better :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Going to download it then. Curious. How's it performing for you Morgoth?

Technically it's a solid effort. It runs smooth maxed out on my Q6600/4970. Graphics are good, but not great. Animations could be better, but then again the game had a smaller budget.

Unfortuantely, I ran into a game-stopping bug. The witch said she gave me scrolls so I could defeat some critters but I find them nowhere in my inventory. Hmmm....

Writing is inane and bad, as is the voice acting. But that didn't stop us playing the predecessors either.

Ok, first impressions : good performance, good looks, no openness at all (you can't swim or climb), the combat system doesn't really seem particularly impressive so far, I wish the interface didn't look so console-ish (though I have seen worse) and there are far too many untargetable villagers that also don't react when I take out my weapons on enter their houses.

Still, it seems to have the potential to be a decent game, and I definitely like the multitude of options they put in their options menu.

I'll play the demo more but this looks like 'wait for its price to drop' material so far.