Anachronox

Humodour

Note: The machinima is actually superior to the game in some ways. It includes audio such as music that was unfortunately unable to be included in the final game. Edit: Or so I once read, but can find no citation for that currently.

And supposedly Machinima.com is looking to do a hi-def DVD release.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just read that it ends on a cliffhanger.

Man, I don't feel like playing any more. I need to stop accidentally reading spoilers.

Llyranor: Gameplay is fine to me. Sure it's not typical combat style, but change is sometimes good.

Few dialogue choice, little choice in character advancement (really all you can do is choose your party members), a pretty linear plot (however intricate). Well, so far anyway.

Good thing none of that defines a computer/video game RPG.

Yeah. Except not.

Except so. I can name several RPGs that have little or none of that.

Plot, dialogue and character design have nothing to do with the definition of an RPG? :( Anyway it's a moot point since Anachronox is playing much more like an RPG after planet Sunder.

Di: Yeah, I'm enjoying it. I was up till like 9am playing it so I think I'll take a break for today. Hooray for public holiday or I'd be in trouble.

Edited by Krezack

• 2 weeks later...

It's a pretty yawn-inspiring game, imo.

I have never yawned as much or as hard as I did, when I was playing Anachronox. I too was expecting something quite, quite different considering the legacy of the developer, but in regards to the genre, the title reads "sci-fi role playing adventure".. and since you do play the character or role of Sly.. then, that's Sly-role playing, uh, that's a pretty shallow interpretation of roleplaying, but that's all there is. There are a lot of one-liners and a "LEMME SKIP THIS" option to skip parts of the game you don't want to bother playing..

Sometimes the mention of "role playing" simply cannot be abbreviated to or tagged as RPG and not in a context known to this particular community with games like FO, BG, PS:T, NWN, KotOR.. can't compute. To me it's an adventure game.

There are a few entertaining and funny moments, but unfortunately they are not interactive, but made as cutscenes, which is just totally unfair. All this work and then some cutscene takes the credit.. The highlight is a two week cutscene of drifting in space and then docking in some kind of space station, imo.

The most peculiar part is a small ESBR rating on the cover: 15+. That's pretty weird, since it's really suited for a much younger audience like 6+ years old, but that's probably just my antipathy towards the nasty cuteness of the game.. which is actually quite an accomplishment considering the chunky graphics.. if that even qualifies as graphics.. as I didn't quite realize that it was possible to make games that look this ugly - or I forgot. I happily forgot. Forgetting is good. Yep. Could we please advance research and scientific progress into cybernetic memory implants?? I want to replace mine!! :):lol:

I never completed it though. I got as far as level 39, but the original CD cracked and I had to find a NO-CD workaround and then I got hit by a major bug that.. well.. combined with the general feeling of disappointment I just couldn't be bothered with it anymore. I was being very stubborn, but not suicidal.

Maybe this game is perfectly fine as it is, but it's simply not my kind of game. :ermm:

Just in case someone should want to avoid the same bug in Detta's Fortress (why would they?! Hmmm..):

#Spoiler begin:

In Detta's Fortress Boots came to a barred gate with a Mystech thingie on top.

Couldn't pass it except when I clicked on a pickup item on the other side of the

game, which made Boots walk thru the closed gate... = stuck.

#Spoiler end.

(Signatures: disabled) 

quite an accomplishment considering the chunky graphics.. if that even qualifies as graphics.. as I didn't quite realize that it was possible to make games that look this ugly - or I forgot. I happily forgot. Forgetting is good. Yep. Could we please advance research and scientific progress into cybernetic memory implants?? I want to replace mine!! ;);)

a little reminder just for you then :): quake 2 engine.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

quite an accomplishment considering the chunky graphics.. if that even qualifies as graphics.. as I didn't quite realize that it was possible to make games that look this ugly - or I forgot. I happily forgot. Forgetting is good. Yep. Could we please advance research and scientific progress into cybernetic memory implants?? I want to replace mine!! ;);)

a little reminder just for you then :): quake 2 engine.

Really...I mean how old is the game now?

I really liked Anachronox. It was fun and different and once I really got used to the 'intricacies' of the combat I had a blast. The plot and characters kept me interested. I never did all the collectible things, though. I hate the way it ended...well, hate is a strong word...I wish the game continued on for a bit more in like an 'epilogue' form or something...or a sequel :)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Anachronox used Quake 2 engine, Half-Life 1 used Quake 1 engine.

I stopped half-way through. I can't bring myself to finish the game only to be provided with a cliff-hanger because the game didn't sell well enough for the second half to be created (not even a sequel!) bah.