The beer thread

samm

I have to say that corona, like budweiser, is the proverbial romance in a light water craft.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Another I like is Stella Artois.

A favourite of mine. The Corona isn't really bad either. I think I prefer the Coopers Pale Ale when running out of Stella though :shifty:

When is somebody going to tell the germans that the Reinheitsgebot is unconstitutional and unethical? They have so much potential fot beer making, yet never truly make anything of it.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A pub in Box (next to the Box tunnel, for those of you familiar with Brunel) sells a local Ale called 'Old Codger', with an appropriate picture on the tap.

I drink it on principle.

My rule of thumb: amusing name = crap beer.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd agree, but this stuff is actually pretty decent. Sort of gentle and aromatic

My favourite, which I can't get locally is called Firestoker, by Marstons. Smooth light IPA (lagerboy friendly) with the faintest hint of cherry wood/mahogany smell.

-Elwood Blues

How many Australian beers have you tried?

Sorry, i'll expand that statement to say 'without just being watered down knat piss like they make in Australia and send over here'.

If you guys have good beer, we don't see head nor tail of it over here, the main offenders being XXXX and Fosters (though i've heard from an australian friend that fosters isn't actually that popular in australia itself).

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I'd agree, but this stuff is actually pretty decent. Sort of gentle and aromatic

My favourite, which I can't get locally is called Firestoker, by Marstons. Smooth light IPA (lagerboy friendly) with the faintest hint of cherry wood/mahogany smell.

While Marstons brew some fairly good ales, I've never been all that fond personally...

As for ales I do like, a pint of spitfire always goes down well, and I certainly have yet to have a bad ale from the Osset Brewery.

Though my personal number one ale of all time is a skinner's brewer ale by the name Heligan Honey!

Edited by @\NightandtheShape/@

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Sorry, i'll expand that statement to say 'without just being watered down knat piss like they make in Australia and send over here'.

If you guys have good beer, we don't see head nor tail of it over here, the main offenders being XXXX and Fosters (though i've heard from an australian friend that fosters isn't actually that popular in australia itself).

XXXX and Fosters are brewed locally they're about as australian as the yorkshire moors!

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

Although I apply it more to wine than to beer, my rule is to eliminate anything with an animal on the label.

I haven't really found a good "interesting beer store" since I moved two years ago. So I've mostly been drinking what they carry at the Safeway or the Costco. Although there is an Irish pub around the corner where I'll stop in for a Smithwick's every now and again.

Never tried either of those, and don't have any particular inclination to. Great Aussie beers are:

Crown Lager (a.k.a crownies)

Coopers Pale Ale

OK Australian beers worth trying (may or may not appeal to you):

Carlton Draught

Tooheys Extra Dry

Victoria Bitter (you'll most likely write this one off as piss water, as many Australians do)

I'm from the state of N.S.W. so other Aussies might have idea for good beers from other states.

I also love beer from a local microbrewery in Canberra in Civic (City Centre). The pub is called the Wig & Pen.

The beer tastes like ambrosia and is typically something like 6% alcohol. It's seasonal, but their flavoured beers are worth trying, too: honey, raspberry from memory.

Edited by Krezack

any beer that requires an additive to make it taste good, e.g. lemon, is not beer IMO. any beer that comes in a clear bottle, is also not beer, IMO.

taks

That's really stupid, IMO.

excuse me? apparently you don't know anything about beer.

1) if it requires an additive, it is not done. additionally, look up the word reinheitsgebot.

2) if it is in a clear bottle, there is a chance that the remaining yeast can become active when exposed to sunlight rendering the beer all but undrinkable. nearly every quality beer in the world is bottled with dark glass. this is well known among any and all brewers. why corona does not do this is beyond me.

yeah, something's stupid...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I have to say that corona, like budweiser, is the proverbial romance in a light water craft.

effing close to water. :teehee:

buttwiper is actually brewed like a pilsner which is supposed to have a light body. pilsner urquell is the original which i can't stand, nor can i drink bud anymore.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I'm quite fond of budvar, but if I am going to go in that direction at all I'll take singha beer, or castle lager. Both tasty but good in the heat.

-Elwood Blues

I'm quite fond of budvar, but if I am going to go in that direction at all I'll take singha beer, or castle lager. Both tasty but good in the heat.

Singha is good :)

Also, Kingfisher isn't bad either. Sort of goes well together with indian food :teehee:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Singha is good :)

Also, Kingfisher isn't bad either. Sort of goes well together with indian food :)

I must say that I dislike Cobra and Kingfisher. If only IPAs (India Pale Ales) were available in restaurants. As it is I prefer sweet fruity white wines with hot curry.

-Elwood Blues

effing close to water. :)

buttwiper is actually brewed like a pilsner which is supposed to have a light body. pilsner urquell is the original which i can't stand, nor can i drink bud anymore.

taks

Never been able to drink Budweiser, makes me seriously gasey, Budvar on the other hand is always quality...

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg