How does I make video games

theslug

Okay. I know the subject of making video games is highly complex and usually requires schooling and a team of capable people. But I don't have time for all that nonsense. I need to know the bare essentials of what makes a video game, specifically coding and what not. Where do I start, are there any sites that are dedicated to getting beginners to understand the type of coding that goes into a game and what sort of programs are needed to simulate this code. Realistically I want to create an excruciatingly brief game that allows me to have at least a novice knowledge of coding and what not. Just to get a taste so that I realize it's too difficult and can quit and never try again. Thank you.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

As an update I found that XNA has released a few free tools which are supposedly really good. http://creators.xna.com/Education/newtoxna.aspx

I'm going to download this stuff and maybe some magic will happen tomorrow and I'll be the next peter moneleux and I'll be able to come on here and be like i got this tree right and like it grows as you progress through the game but really itd just be a tree growing simulation and there really is no game.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Probably best off in the Dev Corner, as that is where these threads often reside. :sorcerer:

I have no idea what kind of experience you have when it comes to these things, but making a game from the ground up is no longer a feat for one person - I would suspect the best way is to begin with toolkits such as those for NWN1/2, or even simpler (and less powerful) ones. For example, the Age of Empires series features quite simplistic (but does-the-job) editors, and you can even mod the game quite extensively using XML, which reads a lot more like normal English than C+, for me anyway.

I wouldn't know how those Make Your Own Game kits work, though.

Boardgames ftw! Easy to make boardgames.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wow, it's easy to make boardgames? I would think that sometimes that would be almost harder! Making all those crazy rules and stuff, and not cheap for one player... *sigh*

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

Update. I started messing around with the program and doing the tutorials. Well I was able to put my "sprite" onto a colored background and then it was like ok lets make this thing move and i was like ok. And it once again gave me the right coding and stuff and told me to put it in the already premade game code but i guess i did it wrong becuase there were errors in the script and then I quit because I mean thats pretty inexcusable although the tutorial was pretty horribly written if you were talking to newbs becuase it didn't cover anything about brackets, \\\, or anything about structure and they'd be like just make the coding look like <this> and they'd have one familiar piece of code inside what you are supposed to copy paste into it and it was just confusing and scary. Done forever.

Update. I started messing around with the program and doing the tutorials. Well I was able to put my "sprite" onto a colored background and then it was like ok lets make this thing move and i was like ok. And it once again gave me the right coding and stuff and told me to put it in the already premade game code but i guess i did it wrong becuase there were errors in the script and then I quit because I mean thats pretty inexcusable although the tutorial was pretty horribly written if you were talking to newbs becuase it didn't cover anything about brackets, \\\, or anything about structure and they'd be like just make the coding look like <this> and they'd have one familiar piece of code inside what you are supposed to copy paste into it and it was just confusing and scary. Done forever.

*Points and Laughs* Talk about giving up easy, those tutorials BTW are actually quite good, but they assume you already know how to program...

What you need to do is find some basic "Hello World" style C# tutorials.

or maybe you should try using something like GameBuilder from Gararge Games...

Edited by @\NightandtheShape/@

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Well see I don't exactly want to create a game per say just something to show concept and ideas of my game so that I can one day put all my ideas and stuff and then sell it to some developer for like millions of dollars and be rich without actually having to like do anything that costs too much money or time so that when my idea fails horribly I'm not poor and homeless. :lol:

Well see I don't exactly want to create a game per say just something to show concept and ideas of my game so that I can one day put all my ideas and stuff and then sell it to some developer for like millions of dollars and be rich without actually having to like do anything that costs too much money or time so that when my idea fails horribly I'm not poor and homeless. :)

Fact: Developers have draws, cupboards, filing cabinets, stock rooms, hard disks and underwear full of games ideas, and as the market usually dictates the project, and sales == we stay in business, something radical is certainly rare. What you want is extremely unlikely to ever happend, EVEN if you were able proove your concepts.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Wow, it's easy to make boardgames? I would think that sometimes that would be almost harder! Making all those crazy rules and stuff, and not cheap for one player... *sigh*

Boardgames is easy:

1. A selection of dice

2. A tame polymath

3. Lots of cardboard

4. Coloured pens

5. A belief that despite all evidence to the contrary, you are a genius

6. Beer

7. Several loafs of fresh bread

8. A haunch of roasted meat

9. Knives

10 A film, for inspiration

Now set to.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.