Why scientists love games consoles

SteveThaiBinh

Leading scientists are turning to the extraordinary power of games consoles to do their sums and simulate everything from colliding black holes to the effects of drugs.

Reprogram a PlayStation and it will perform feats that would be unthinkable on an ordinary PC because the kinds of calculations required to produce the realistic graphics now seen in sophisticated video games are similar to those used by chemists and physicists as they simulate the interactions between particles ranging from the molecular to the astronomical.

advertisement

Such simulations are usually carried out on a supercomputer, but time on these machines is expensive and in short supply. By comparison, games consoles are cheap and easily available, says New Scientist.

"There is no doubt that the entertainment industry is helping to drive the direction of high performance computational science - exploiting the power available to the masses will lead to many research breakthroughs in the future," comments Prof Peter Coveney of University College London, who uses supercomputing in chemistry.

Prof Gaurav Khanna at the University of Massachusetts has used an array of 16 PS3s to calculate what will happen when two black holes merge.

According to Prof Khanna, the PS3 has unique features that make it suitable for scientific computations, namely, the Cell processor dubbed a "supercomputer-on-a-chip." And it runs on Linux, "so it does not limit what you can do."

"A single high-precision simulation can sometimes cost more than 5,000 hours on the TeraGrid supercomputers. For the same cost, you can build your own supercomputer using PS3s. It works just as well, has no long wait times and can be used over and over again, indefinitely," Prof Khanna says.

The Daily Telegraph

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I for one, is using the "THE POWER OF THE CELL" for my master's thesis. I am programming for the playstation 3 (C with IBM CBE libraries) in order to explore the use streaming, parallel dataflows, compared to traditional sequential programming. It is used as a tool for a larger project.

Difficult to get used to, but the results are impressive.

"And why not the Xbox360?", as a layman would say. There aren't simply any tools for the Xbox360 for public use in order to explicitly map the different cores.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You know, this reminds me of that cirtain type of person who spends their whole live in a corprate setting trying to get up the ladder, then find their 'true calling' and go off and become an alternative healer or some other kind of hippy.

Follow your heart PS3, follow your heart!

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

We did some experiments with this and the PS3 is pretty much useless as a cluster node, because it only has 512mb of memory and the CELL CPU is no match for dual or quadruple Intel Xeon setups.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

We did some experiments with this and the PS3 is pretty much useless as a cluster node, because it only has 512mb of memory and the CELL CPU is no match for dual or quadruple Intel Xeon setups.

There's also the cost/performance ratio. A PS3 is 479 euro, compared to a Quad-Xeon processor, which costs 879 euro.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's not really a "game" console considering there aren't any games out for it

hence why it's more useful to scientists :(

Some guys did some real time ray tracing on 3 PS3's... Which frankly seems like a waste of time.

Edited by @\NightandtheShape/@

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me