Mass Effect is coming to PC

Meshugger

The majority of console players are retarded, and the same is true of PC players. However, the minority of not retarded players is bigger on the PC side of things than on the console side. This isn't because the PC is inherently better but rather because the PC gamer crowd is smaller than the console gamer crowd. Generally, the larger a group of people is, the dumber it is.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Its the bias that consoles are for kiddies and that kiddies are dumb. Given how the market is for consoles and PCs I disagree with that bias. Its about accessability and the gaming market is widening their audience base. The casual gamer don't want to play a game that requires a game manual thicker than the Webster's Unabridged Dictionary. Its about loading up or installing the game and BOOM! Having fun.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I don't understand why so many PC players think they're so smart and that all console players are retarded. If you noticed, CoD2 was also out on PC where all the things you listed above were present as well.

The thing is it was a hybrid release with changes catoring to the console crowd and control scheme. I don't think console players are 'retarded', its that things often need to be simplified for the less accurate console control schemes.

I noticed a huge playstyle difference when I watched one of the console Medal of Honor games. The PC versions were lightning fast in comparison. Enemies would spot you and start firing quickly. Things were fluid, fast paced. When I watched someone play a console MoH game... the enemies seemed to take literally 5 seconds to line up their shots and fire. They were slow and ponderous. Why? Because lining up a shot in a FPS game on a console isn't as easy with a controller as it is with a mouse. You basically had to crank the difficulty up to hard to get the same reaction times that you saw on PC shooters.

I really don't understand how anyone who has followed a PC series that has gone console... or hybrid console/PC can't notice certain changes. If you really feel these are for the positive, then fine, you probably are actually in the majority.

If I sound harsh when talking about this... I hope no one takes it personally. Its just hard as a gamer to see so many franchises that I loved... 'simplified'.

Some of the 'dumbing' down that has happened with the 'next gen' console games is a good thing, but some of it is just rank lazy simplification.

I recently finished an ancient DOS game called Pool of Radiance, and I'm now working on the sequel Curse of the Azure Bonds. Curse removed some of the extra confirmation dialog, made the battles a bit more fluid and allowed you to automatically cast cleric spells when resting, so you wouldn't have to manually cast them, memorize them, sleep 8 hours rinse and repeat. These changes are awesome and make this sequel less of a chore to play... I don't feel these particular changes 'dumbed' it down at all.

The problem is when GOOD complexities are removed. It just seems that console games are far more likely to remove these good complexities.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

It goes tot he who idea of KISS when it comes to making game elements yet making them fun to play. Keep It Simple, Stupid. If you have to go through hoops just to control your character and the playing through the hoops is not fun then people aren't going to want to play the game.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I really don't understand how anyone who has followed a PC series that has gone console... or hybrid console/PC can't notice certain changes.

I really don't understand how anyone who has followed pirates.... or hybrid buccaneers/pirates can't notice certain changes (with regards to global warming).

Games are changing.

Games are also going more to consoles.

These aren't necessarily related how you think they are. PC games aren't exactly becoming deeper, either.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You basically had to crank the difficulty up to hard to get the same reaction times that you saw on PC shooters.

So "crank it up the difficulty" and stop whining.

Bah, I wouldn't touch a controller with a 10 foot pole when playing a FPS. I watched someone else playing it. You are missing the point, I'm not whining about the difficulty of console shooters. I couldn't care less about how console games handle things.

I'm whining about how the recent rash of hybrid games eases it down for the console controllers, but keeps that ease and 'simplification' for the PC bastard version as well.

Keeping it Simple, Stupid is important, but CoD 2 was no where near the game as CoD 1 and it certainly kept things simple. If there had been NO CoD 1 I probably wouldn't have noticed, but when you take something great, and then produce a sequel that strips so many great things from the original and simplifies it... well sometimes things get too simple.

Anyway, I just sort of understood Dark Raven's statement earlier and wanted to add my own version of that opinion.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

"The majority of console players are retarded, and the same is true of PC players. However, the minority of not retarded players is bigger on the PC side of things than on the console side. This isn't because the PC is inherently better but rather because the PC gamer crowd is smaller than the console gamer crowd. Generally, the larger a group of people is, the dumber it is."

Usually, when intelligent people state things like that they can actually use facts to back it up. You cna't.. so, I'm gonna assume you are one of those retarded PC minority.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

-10 points for Volo for poor reading comprehension. Also, grammar.

Heja Sverige!!

I didn't call you retarded.

Also, I picked the term retarded from the thread, and actually, I don't think it is the best word to use to describe the people in question.

Heja Sverige!!

I want to point out that I don't feel that console games = evil garbage that should be gathered in a pile and burned. Some of my favorite games are actually console game ports.

I really enjoyed *GASP* Halo! I enjoy the GTA games to an extent and I think Resident Evil 4 is the greatest survival horror game ever made. My real issue and peeve is established francheses like CoD, Elder Scrolls etc. that turn into hybradized dual PC/Console releases. You can look at each series and see the depth decline as much as the graphics increased from their previous incarnations. I also find it a shame when a developer previously catoring to the PC market goes console. So far, none of Bioware's console games have come anywhere near the Baldur's Gate saga imho. I'd love to believe Mass Effect is going to change my opinion. Heck, I seriously doubt it could be worse than Jade Empire...

I really didn't set out to dislike these newer incarnations as some sort of anti-console anger or wanting to hate the dev for switching platforms... It is a case of actually sitting down, playing them and seeing what was lost in the transition.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

I want to point out that I don't feel that console games = evil garbage that should be gathered in a pile and burned. Some of my favorite games are actually console game ports.

I really enjoyed *GASP* Halo! I enjoy the GTA games to an extent and I think Resident Evil 4 is the greatest survival horror game ever made. My real issue and peeve is established francheses like CoD, Elder Scrolls etc. that turn into hybradized dual PC/Console releases. You can look at each series and see the depth decline as much as the graphics increased from their previous incarnations. I also find it a shame when a developer previously catoring to the PC market goes console. So far, none of Bioware's console games have come anywhere near the Baldur's Gate saga imho. I'd love to believe Mass Effect is going to change my opinion. Heck, I seriously doubt it could be worse than Jade Empire...

I really didn't set out to dislike these newer incarnations as some sort of anti-console anger or wanting to hate the dev for switching platforms... It is a case of actually sitting down, playing them and seeing what was lost in the transition.

Resident Evil 4 is neither survival nor horror. It's about shooting very slow zombies.

Heja Sverige!!

Resident Evil 4 is neither survival nor horror. It's about shooting very slow zombies.

Then its the best very slow zombie shooter EVAR! :wowey:

What would a teenager do?

Demand a bigger allowance! Just kidding.

That is why I am all for games like ME to be on as many platforms as possible. That allows people to get a great game regardless of what platform they can afford.

I'll probably not buy it, not right away. It will take a few good reviews of people I trust first, as Bioware didn't exactly improve the qualities that matter to me in their games.

Which qualities are those?

Keeping me intrigued during the whole game, or at least wanting to get over weak parts because I'm expecting things to become better.

Less subjectively put: An stringent, evolving and involving storyline. Good narration. Original characters that fit into the setting. Humour that fits into setting, style and mood. Strong on the tactical side. Consistent style in writing and art.

Etc. :wowey:

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Well, ME is no BG2 but it is lightyears better than NWN1 and KotOR.

ME is the best and most entertaining game BioWare has ever made. And I dont get this BG2 hype, sure it was epic and stuff, but the Fallout series had much better gameplay.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Buy 700-800$ worth of PC upgrades...

That is what I would do, although, in my case, I might have to build/buy a completely new system if I wanted to used things like SLI and the Core 2 Quad.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Don't think it as just playing ME, but as preparation for the new NWN2 expansion. :wowey:

700-800 dollars is a hell of a lot of money to play ME.

It would not be because of Mass Effect, indeed, if I can play it on my current system I might not upgrade -nor would I upgrade simply because I wanted to play the game-, for I have not done any major upgrades in the last few years and it is time to consider spending money on a new system.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot