Thoughts on Mandatory Combat

Huh?NWN has aged well. So well, I'm still playing it and it still looks reasonably good aside from the blocky look. I no longer play BG when I see screenshots of it I say "TOEE clone".

See the difference between us.

YOU MADE A STATEMENT!!

NWN has aged well.

And how do you back up this universal law,

So well, I'm still playing it and it still looks reasonably good aside from the blocky look.

So because you still play it, this universal law holds.

BUT!!!!!!!!

Its looks blocky -> Which is a sign of age..

Because it is a well know fact that the newer a games is the more likely it is to rely on more recent technology which allows you to have higher poly counts. But what about poly count? My radeon 9700 still has NWN looking blocky. :)

Anyhow, I just said this,

where as NWN IMO already looks really old.

Where IMO = in my opinion,

NOT YOU'RE OPINION!

Don't act like the putz.

Because it is a well know fact that the newer a games is the more likely it is to rely on more recent technology which allows you to have higher poly counts. But what about poly count? My radeon 9700 still has NWN looking blocky. :)

NWN looks blocky .. Because .. Well ... It's made of blocks.

It's always looked blocky for that reason and will always continue to do so.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Hmm.. I thought Tri would be smart enough to know my post was my opinion. I guess I was wrong. :)

I don't know anyone who says

Blank has done blank

And is only speaking their opinion.

NWN looks blocky .. Because .. Well ... It's made of blocks.

It's always looked blocky for that reason and will always continue to do so.

All 3D games are made of polygon primitives. One just hopes there is enough of them so that it does not look primitive. As far as the lego lookalike tiles, that is their own crappy design decision for compromising atmosphere and looks in favor an easy to use toolkit. Still looks aged...

The best example of a totally open game I can think of is DXII. not only could you change employers on a whim, even working for both sides at the same time if you wanted to. You also had something like 5 different endings.

But what made it really open is you never HAD to do anything because nothing was rewarded by experience points. Everything you did ,well it was really upto you.

I don't think these elements made DX2 genuinely "open" but rather meaningless. It's completely linear and nothing you do has any meaningful impact in how the game progresses. The five different endings are all based on one decision made 5 minutes before the end.

Hey, NWN is still the game I play the most often nowadays. I'd take performance over graphics anyday, and NWN performs well. Between the Community Expansion Pack just being released, and seeing how the largest projects have yet to be released (CODI, DLA, D20 Modern), and the upcoming mods from experienced builders, the community is far from dead. Heck, they're even still updating the game (1.63 is already in the plans). Not to mention plans of a Digital Distribution system.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I don't think these elements made DX2 genuinely "open" but rather meaningless. It's completely linear and nothing you do has any meaningful impact in how the game progresses. The five different endings are all based on one decision made 5 minutes before the end.

Thats exactly what I was getting at :blink:

Although it isnt really completely linear, more like hub based.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]