Terry Pratchett has early-onset Alzheimer's

SteveThaiBinh

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,2226306,00.html

:sad:

I love this guy - his approach to the satirical opportunities of fantasy writing is central to how I've seen, and loved, the genre for so many years.

He reckons he still has a few books in him. I wish him continued good health for as long as possible.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html

Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen Academicals. All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet :ermm:)

Terry Pratchett

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell. I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.

My grandfather died with Alzheimer's. Its not a nice disease. I hope with the new techniques in stem cell research can find a cure before it becomes too advanced to help him.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Aww ****.

The guy has had a stellar record. I grew up reading disc-world books and they were the first novels for me that I read in English.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Definetly, we three should form Finnish Brainsnatching Agency (FBA) before it's too late!

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Consider yourself the leader...or...the Captain-, umm -General, perhaps?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

CEO!

I want to be CEO and know the mysteries of cryonicing mirror neurons, like my father before me

It shall be glorious.

also, I'm still in "this can't be true" phase :'(

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

CEO!

I want to be CEO and know the mysteries of cryonicing mirror neurons, like my father before me

It shall be glorious.

also, I'm still in "this can't be true" phase :'(

Well, whatever, boss. Captain-General(or Brainfinder-General, oooo) would have been more awesome though.

Yeah, I agree. The truth is gonna sink in any moment now. Now I'm just dumbfounded.

kirottu said:

That really REALLY sucks. Why do all good artistic types die young?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't think they're all great. He went through a definite patch of marking time.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

They all have something to offer, though the overall quality does vary and some are too alike and recycle plotlines too closely. Everyone has their own favourite (I think Witches Abroad may be mine, though Jingo has the best moment, when

Captain Vimes arrested two opposing armies on the battlefield for 'behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace'

) :-

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I think the only one I ever read was the one where that chest with a thousand legs or whatever went berserk. I was always too daunted by the sheer number of volumes, since there's no way all of them can be gems, right?

How old is the guy?

I think I could cautiously recommend you just plow into the first you can lay hands on, Tigranes. Guards Guards is good. I think my only objection was when he got too carried away with the good guys always winning effortlessly. But he got over that in recent years.

-Elwood Blues

I think it would be appropriate to pseudo-hijack this thread for recommendations of Pratchett works. I already see Witches Abroad and The Truth. I should be adding those to my Amazon wishlist.

I can recommend Good Omens, which he only co-wrote. Only book he's been involved with that I've read.

Edit: Apparently his daughter did some writing for Overlord. awesome

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Theif of time is one of his 'purest' stories, in terms of it being a work of fiction, rather than satire, but it's one of his strongest too.

EDIT: she also worked on Heavenly Sword.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I really liked 'Going Postal'. Very much back on form for my money.

-Elwood Blues

Theif of time is one of his 'purest' stories, in terms of it being a work of fiction, rather than satire, but it's one of his strongest too.

She? Terry is a guy.

Anyway, yeah, I liked Thief of Time. The whole time-slicer monk idea was cool. It's my second favourite - The Truth being first.

She? Terry is a guy.

Anyway, yeah, I liked Thief of Time. The whole time-slicer monk idea was cool. It's my second favourite - The Truth being first.

She referring to his daughter.

So, I saw Amazon.com has a 3-for-4 deal going on with some stuff. So, I bought 4 Pratchett paperbacks all based on recommendations in this thread!

Night Watch is the best book so far, but you really can't read it outright without having a background on the City Watch characters, especially Vimes.

Hmm, I'm not actually sure whether Night Watch is better than Soul Music.

kirottu said:

Night Watch is the best book so far, but you really can't read it outright without having a background on the City Watch characters, especially Vimes.

Hmm, I'm not actually sure whether Night Watch is better than Soul Music.

You're right. i think I may have confused Night watch with Guards Guards, if Night watch is the first one.

-Elwood Blues