My MotB thread

Rhomal

spirit hunger as the mechanism utilized by developers to ensure that players don't abuse resting is flawed. nevertheless, some such mechanic were advisable. all those fodder battles, the non-boss battles, becomes somewhat silly if tale is able to use vampiric feats each time, no?

make bitter pill easier to swallow by making integral to story? is a good approach... but that not change fact that spirit hunger is a quirky device that leads to some odd gameplay approaches... is no better than the near universally abandoned required food consumption mechanic.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Spirit Meter is annoying. I love the concept of the curse, and I like the diea of it being incorporated into the actual gameplay; but at times it seems random on how much it drains down. It's also odd that the energy can fall by tens of points while walking on the same map yet just fall a handful while traveling two days on the world map. L0L

Not game breaking (they give you an auto out so nobody should die due to the curse); but not as fun as it could be though the concept is cool.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

spirit hunger as the mechanism utilized by developers to ensure that players don't abuse resting is flawed. nevertheless, some such mechanic were advisable. all those fodder battles, the non-boss battles, becomes somewhat silly if tale is able to use vampiric feats each time, no?

make bitter pill easier to swallow by making integral to story? is a good approach... but that not change fact that spirit hunger is a quirky device that leads to some odd gameplay approaches... is no better than the near universally abandoned required food consumption mechanic.

HA! Good Fun!

Agreed about the 'flawed' idea as to nerf resting. I agree the nwn1 and nwn2 OC resting was TOO abstract and mostly no kind of penalty to fight, rest, fight, rest... rinse and repeat as needed. Thus not a lot of challenge.

in NX1 I like the idea of the 8 hrs and random encounters. That SHOULD have been the staple in nwn1 and nwn2 OC rather then take a knee for 5 sec and your 100% again. If they wanted to nerf resting beyond the 8hr and random encounters they could have simply added restrictions on the amount of time resting allowed in a 24 game hr period. Which not only makes logical sense but accomplishes their goal. For example, after resting you can not rest again until 8 game hrs have transpired. That would fix many of the fight, rest, fight, rest issues and force players to be more conservative with spells and healing supplies by having to use some tactics.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I rather liked the spirit meter, it didn't feel like a way out of a flawed resting system, but a serious reason to get rid of the curse as fast as possible. Anyway, as I played a good character and suppressed the hunger or (don't read, rhomal)

laid undead to eternal rest

I never had any problems with time running out. Yes, I had ability penalties with my spirit meter sometimes as low as 25 or so, yes it did damage my character over time, but hey, no problem really, there are items boosting regeneration far over the 1dx damage you take every soandso rounds... regeneration does stack in the game, btw.

Spirit meter a reason for cheating? *shrugs* Imo not really, much more a reason for clever and stringent play, and moral decisions as well.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

My game update (feel free to openly discuss anything from this point or before, PLEASE do not spoil me for things coming up):

Well I went to the theater and found the woman charred, and went to the shadow plane to get secret room. As my red wizard friend suggested this woman had some power to maintain these portals. Found the gargoyle like creatures who took me away and got some clues to my original party members. The 'robe smeared in blood' I am assuming is either Sand or Quara. Since Sand turned on me (due to me not having him in my party much beyond what was required) and Quara stood by my PC, my warlock is hoping she is the one who survived. And Casiver may have survived as well as Khelgar. So I am glad both of those peeps (possibly) made it. I am quite interested in knowing what happened to elinee and the gith cleric. Both were staples in my PCs OC party. Anyways moving on...

So after that little encounter my warlock took his party to follow this sniviling little kid who told me his clan elders know of my curse and could perhaps help. So I followed him and low and behold, like all pre-teen kids he was nothing but trouble. Not only takes me out of my way BUT leads me into a trap (Thankfully the gnawed humans bones on the ground of their village encouraged my party to cast some defensive spells). So these doppalanger like monsters basically want to eat me to gain my 'power' (or curse, depends on ones point of view I concede). So I wipe them off the face of the earth and then whack the kids too. Hey, you mess with my warlock you better get the job done! She does not have a issue razing a village if you do her ill.

Then it was off to the shadow realm (on going theme it seems) to track down the missing cleric. Found her in a old temple of myrcule (sp?) and beat off the undead. Couldn't find a way past the door she was trying to get into but I did find a mural that hinted to something greater about my now missing silver sword (AGAIN that damn sword causing my warlock nothing but grief!). I ditched the bear and took the cleric in my party.

Now we are traveling north... TBC

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

This is something I was going to put in my spellcaster thread, which I will revisit someday, but I always have certain defensive spells cast at all times. There are some, like Mind Blank, that I don't run constantly, but cast at the hint of trouble.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

This is something I was going to put in my spellcaster thread, which I will revisit someday, but I always have certain defensive spells cast at all times. There are some, like Mind Blank, that I don't run constantly, but cast at the hint of trouble.

Stoneskin is your friend! whenever I think I am walking into a disaster waiting to happen everyone gets stoneskin! :)

It was easier with Qara in my party, (I really miss her for both her power and her personality, she had a similar outlook to my warlock!) but that aside, the cleric and wizard do a decent job of having a few stoneskin spells handy for the whole party when its about to hit the fan. This not only protects the party from the initial assault but also cuts back on the time the AI spends buffing and more time launching offense spells. If the NPC has most her their defensive spells cast on themselves already the AI will pretty much just start with a onslaught.

;)

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Ok well I made it to the sunken city and found my way inside. Got past all those in line ahead of me... then the damn hag tosses me into some dungeon like area. Is there ANYONE is this land that does not know of my curse!?

None the less I am now fighting my way past trapped elementals, drow and dark dwarves in this prison like area. However the non-stop voice heard screaming everywhere is driving me mad... need... to... find... and... kill... it...

On a side note I have the red wizard create a +6 bastard sword for me using her skills/level. However, when I went to add frost damage to it per the recipeed list for the element, it said it wasn't valid. Can I not add to this sword?

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Is her caster level high enough for the effect you're trying to add?

Yes, shes 21st level and I am trying a lvl21 recipe..?

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

please keep in mind that in addition to the level requirements to enchant a weapon with a +6 (or whatever,) there is also a max number o' brilliant and/or pristine essences that can be added to a weapon that is also based 'pon caster level. is not like nwn2.

am not sure what is maximum number o' brilliant essences a 21 level caster can add to a weapon, but you might wanna find out if you intend to do more enchanting.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

please keep in mind that in addition to the level requirements to enchant a weapon with a +6 (or whatever,) there is also a max number o' brilliant and/or pristine essences that can be added to a weapon that is also based 'pon caster level. is not like nwn2.

am not sure what is maximum number o' brilliant essences a 21 level caster can add to a weapon, but you might wanna find out if you intend to do more enchanting.

HA! Good Fun!

I was trying to add 4 brilliant water for electrical damage (or whatever the damage type is for water). According to the description for the water, 4 brilliant and caster lvl 21 is a recipe.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

not matter that it is a recipe and that you meet level requirements. there is a TOTAL number o' essences that a level 21 mage can add to a weapon/armour/item. try add level 21 vorpal and +6 and maybe you can't do both 'cause too many total essences go onto weapon for a levle 21 caster to manage.

again, Gromnir not know max total number o' essences a level 21 mage can add... should check if you wanna go the enchant route.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Max # of essences per lvl makes Rhomal sad! :(

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Ok I am still in the confines of the sunken city working my way out... I filled all 3 machines globes, now just got to get the lever situation under control. Is it me or is this area a VERY intricate labyrinth? Popping a few tough minotaurs I think would have been appropriate in here but none the less credit is due to whom ever designed/built this area. Its a very confusing, maze of rooms and halls!

I am assuming killing the giant earth elemental (since according to the wizard is holding the place up underwater) is a poor idea...?

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

I took the Vampire fights on as soon as we could reach them. I still believe that they present probably the toughest fight in the critical path. Here are some things that certainly help in that fight. First, make sure that you've got your people in good positions. You don't want the vamps to surround each member completely. Second of all, you have to think of party composition. Are you soloing the Vamps with a mage? If so, it will be tougher. If you've got support, then no problem. Are you set at highest difficulty? In that case, you'll have to be super careful with the sorts of spells that will do the heavy lifting. If you want the easy win, you'll get the vamps around your caster(s) in a big group and then do the now infamous Vampiric Feast ritual. It's epic, which means it can't be interupted and spell resistance doesn't mean a damned thing. If you don't have it or don't want to rely on it, then Gfted1's idea of the mass heal is good. You could put some summons in the room to provide targets for the enemy. (not that summons will do much other than draw fire for a short time, but a short time is all you need.) If you haven't taken your spell penetration feats, then SR can be a problem in certain fights throughout the game. If you've maxed Spell Penetration, then the majority of your spells should penetrate resistance. With that in mind, you could try to attrit them with AoE DoT spells. You could buff the hell out of your best fighter and try to beat them down. Keep us posted as to how you solved the problem, Atreides.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I took the Vampire fights on as soon as we could reach them. I still believe that they present probably the toughest fight in the critical path. Here are some things that certainly help in that fight. First, make sure that you've got your people in good positions. You don't want the vamps to surround each member completely. Second of all, you have to think of party composition. Are you soloing the Vamps with a mage? If so, it will be tougher. If you've got support, then no problem. Are you set at highest difficulty? In that case, you'll have to be super careful with the sorts of spells that will do the heavy lifting. If you want the easy win, you'll get the vamps around your caster(s) in a big group and then do the now infamous Vampiric Feast ritual. It's epic, which means it can't be interupted and spell resistance doesn't mean a damned thing. If you don't have it or don't want to rely on it, then Gfted1's idea of the mass heal is good. You could put some summons in the room to provide targets for the enemy. (not that summons will do much other than draw fire for a short time, but a short time is all you need.) If you haven't taken your spell penetration feats, then SR can be a problem in certain fights throughout the game. If you've maxed Spell Penetration, then the majority of your spells should penetrate resistance. With that in mind, you could try to attrit them with AoE DoT spells. You could buff the hell out of your best fighter and try to beat them down. Keep us posted as to how you solved the problem, Atreides.

I went through the Wood Man and Sunken City quests before hitting up the inner Vault. From there it was just a matter of buffing Okku and letting him go to town.

I, as Cantousent, did the vampires fairly early on. And that was probably the single toughest fight for me as well. My fighters pretty much got creamed. Especially my main character who at the time didn't have a very good weapon (or weapons rather for dual wield) was pretty useless. But the Mass Heals saved my ass. Unintentionally too. I just needed to heal both Okku and my main at the same time to be able to keep going and suddenly the vampires just burst into flames (or whatever they do when they die). I hadn't even considered heals damaging undead until that point.

Good point on the Mass Heal. In general the Elder Vamps aren't a problem for me, but I need to prepare for the fights by summoning Elemental 9 between my party (wiz/spirit shaman, Gann, Safiya, Kaelyn) which is really a bunch of uber casters.

Usually I can drop most of the Elder Vamps with Sunbursts, leaving the monk versions with their superior magic resistance. From then it's a matter of holding them off while I hit them with arcane Isaac swarms and... Magic Missile. Note this was before I equipped Gann with the +7 Dwarven Axe with significant Divine Damage.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Good point on the Mass Heal. In general the Elder Vamps aren't a problem for me, but I need to prepare for the fights by summoning Elemental 9 between my party (wiz/spirit shaman, Gann, Safiya, Kaelyn) which is really a bunch of uber casters.

Usually I can drop most of the Elder Vamps with Sunbursts, leaving the monk versions with their superior magic resistance. From then it's a matter of holding them off while I hit them with arcane Isaac swarms and... Magic Missile. Note this was before I equipped Gann with the +7 Dwarven Axe with significant Divine Damage.

if your vamps is resistant to sunbursts, then chances is they will be resistant to heals. overcome spell resistance is a dc based on caster level. obvious thing to do is come back when you is higher level, or after you gets your casters the spell penetration feats. igms has advantage that at least a couple of the multiple missiles will probably get through high resistance. glyphs o' warding does not seem to be subject o spell resistance. if you use some cannon fodder summons and a few glyphs o' warding you can do some serious damage to just 'bout anything in game.

dunno. Gromnir played as a rogue/cleric. always have mass death ward cast in the vault areas, and if we thoughts battle were near we would cast divine power, battle tide, and use divine might... then Gromnir and okku would wade into battle and reduce all foes to little bits o' hamburger. had pretty high ac, but could aways have gann cast tortoise shell and foundation o' stone on us... made us pretty much unhittable and un knockable. rarely had to cast spells at the undead monks. however, w/o a couple o' tanks, those monks might be difficult... specially if your casters ain't built to overcome sr.

*chuckle*

is metagaming in a big way, but you can set up Multiple glyphs previous to a battle. a half dozen o' those things do serious damage... all divine damege an no sr to overcome... which ain't the way the is 'posed to work, but as obsidian not seem like they is ever gonna patch, you can take advantage of their blunder. either use summons to attract the undead, or you can always use pmd route. with auto-resurrect it not matter if you gets blasted for 580 hps o' divine damage, as long as one of your party mates survives.

ps pmd = polish mine detector... use person to set off bomb/trap. not a very pc term.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

I went through the Wood Man and Sunken City quests before hitting up the inner Vault. From there it was just a matter of buffing Okku and letting him go to town.

Am I going to be in trouble down the road that I ditched the bear for the winged cleric I found in the temple vault? As in will I be overwhelmed combat wise?

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---