The Witcher

ramza

Texxt isn't exactly the biggest eater of storage space. In PST it was more a question of fitting the narrative of the game and development time. Torment would be impossible to make with a total blank slate main character. At best, they could've given a gender option (scarred hawt chick FTW!), but even then that would increase the development time immensely. And anyway, most of the things that made PST great were dependent on having a defined, written character.

Exactly, and that wasw all fine and dandy back then but not today.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

It's actually still fine and dandy today.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Having as much text in PS:T and its design presentation made character customization limited. Imagine if we had NWN2 character customization with the various background feats, races, classes, and such in a game that has as much text and detail that PS:T had for each possible combination.

Text doesn't take up much space. Especially if you're just using a standard char for a letter. A standard CD with nothing else on it can hold roughly 681 574 400 characters on it (assuming 650 MB CDs).

I also disagree that games having defined characters is not fine and dandy today. I'd love for a game to come out today that enthralled me as much as PST did.

Edited by alanschu

And don't forget the added voice work as well.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Maybe for you, but I have higher standards.

They would have had to added voice work to account for TNO have different hair styles, colors, and manners of dress?

They would have had to added voice work to account for TNO have different hair styles, colors, and manners of dress?

Don't be stupid. It would be for the different races, and gender, along with the differences in how the NPC converses with your character as well.

Thread pruned. Keep to the topic please. :brows:

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

And don't forget the added voice work as well.

Not sure what this has to do with customizing how your character looks. And since you were alleging that there were inherent issues that existed in the 1990s that prevented a game like PST from having a customizable character, I'm not sure if your comment here has any bearing on anything. Especially seeing as other games released before PST have allowed for the blank slate character.

Baldur's Gate may not have been as text heavy as Torment, but it wasn't exactly lacking in the text department either.

I remember metadigital posting that voice work isn't even that expensive, and it also doesn't require copious amounts of disc space either (which we have way, way more of than we did with even CDs).

Torment has TNO be who he is because it was what the creators of the game wanted for the story they wanted to tell. This still exists today. But hey, even though your standards have risen, it's still obviously not enough of a flaw to drop Torment out from the 2nd best RPG ever in your books. I'd love another game that could take the place of my second favourite RPG of all time.

Edited by alanschu

Based on what?

Based on the newer CRPGs I have been playing. Even on the action side of the CRPG genre, Jade Empire and Oblivion allowed you to create your own character.

But hey, even though your standards have risen, it's still obviously not enough of a flaw to drop Torment out from the 2nd best RPG ever in your books.

That is because it had many strengths that the current bunch of CRPGs lack, but it is still inferior to Fallout 1.

Maybe for you, but I have higher standards.

Higher standards? Your second best RPG doesn't even meet your standards. Ignorant hindsight justifications of exceptions and elitist demands based on PnP experience don't qualify as "higher standards."

Based on the newer CRPGs I have been playing. Even on the action side of the CRPG genre, Jade Empire and Oblivion allowed you to create your own character.

So these games raised your expectations beyond what Torment provided? Do either come close to threatening Torment's position as your second best RPG?

In terms of character creation and customization, yes. If I had a game that has Oblivion's character customization with PS:T's style of story telling and detail it would totally knock Fallout 1 out of its perch. The lack of character creation in a CRPG is a major turn off for me now, it wasn't back then. If you guys want to play someone else's character then go for it. You aren't going to convince me to.

Edited by Sand

Can we discuss the Witcher please?

I don't believe it's been released. It's clearly vaporware, and this is just another ruse.

We are discussing the Witcher. At least its lack of character creation.

Geralt seems like a swell fellow, though. If the game is good, I may just have to read the trilogy.

It is a trilogy, right? Of short stories.

And here I was, thinking the discussion was about you not having a leg to stand on regarding this issue. :brows:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Geralt seems like a swell fellow, though. If the game is good, I may just have to read the trilogy.

It is a trilogy, right? Of short stories.

There was even a 13 episode television series as well.

And here I was, thinking the discussion was about you not having a leg to stand on regarding this issue. :brows:

I am just surprise someone took my opinion seriously enough to cause that ruckus. I mean, come on now people. I am an unreasonable and opinionated gamer that is more than often contradictory to his own statements, even if I posted them 5 minutes before. However, Alan does make a point on a couple of things. I think I need to go over my games again and revamp my top 10 list. Haven't done that for quite a while.

Edited by Sand

Text doesn't take up much space. Especially if you're just using a standard char for a letter. A standard CD with nothing else on it can hold roughly 681 574 400 characters on it (assuming 650 MB CDs).

To put this into perspective, this would be (in my estimate) about 2000 novels worth of text.

So, what's a good way to import from the UK? What websites?

*shrugs*

They started this game a bit before nwn2 and went gold by the time the first XP1 came out. I honestly didn't think this was going to be released, past 6+ months 'vaporware' came to mind when I saw mention of this title.

None the less, good for them they did get it out. I just don't think it going to make much of a impact on the CRPG scene. Too little to late as it was in dev hell for way too long; the buzz died down quite a bit about it.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta