Now this is what I call hype...

Arkan

Right now I'm putting TF2 or the Phoenix Wright games up as GOTY contenders. Hopefully Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and Portal deliver, so they can be contenders as well.

And heck, Civ 4: Beyond the Sword. There's also the upcoming second GalCiv 2 expansion. This has been a good year. Jerry Holkins can't seem to stop raving about Call of Duty 4. If he says good things about a game, it's enough for me to give it a look even when I would otherwise refuse.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So, your entire basis for calling it a bad game is a review that is (expressly) intentionally harsh in order to be entertaining?

I am calling it a bad game for me, not a bad game for everyone. Not everyone has the same tastes in games.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

So, your entire basis for calling it a bad game is a review that is (expressly) intentionally harsh in order to be entertaining?

I am calling it a bad game for me, not a bad game for everyone. Not everyone has the same tastes in games.

It's not a matter of taste. It's a matter of your opinion is based off a comedy routine.

Lets see, it plays more like a fps, death is meaningless, no real inventory system, no character creation, simplistic and shallow design, all tressed up in pretty graphics. Yes, that does sound like a game I don't want to play. Also it did help cement my opinion of the game when I tried the demo.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Played 4:30 hours last night. I am really enjoying it. I think they put a lot of work into it and ironed out all the problems TFC had.

Of course, after my short time playing it it is early to be proclaiming anything long term. Personal opinions will vary. The overall community's following of it is not something I can predict, which is important to the long term life of a game.

...death is meaningless

Death is always meaningless in video games. If I die "for real" or not, I just hit the Quickload button anyway.

...no real inventory system

What for? Bloodlines didn't have one, either.

...no character creation

This isn't Baldur's Gate or Kotor. And yet Bioshock allows me to modify the abilities of my character more extensive than so called (Action) RPGs.

...simplistic and shallow design

Simply wrong. It's core design and execution is superb. Not to mention the unique narrative.

...all tressed up in pretty graphics

How is pretty graphics a bad thing?

Understand one thing, possibly very important, Sand has said he can't play twitch games because of physical difficulties.

Sand doesn't say anything good about games he can't play particularly well. Most especially if other people like them.

Well, I for one don't use the quick load and when I play I don't save the game unless I am closing it down. That is just how I like to play games. A game is either a RPG or its not a RPG. I don't care if its traditional, action oriented, or whatever. If its a RPG then great, if not then I pass. So far the best action RPG I have played has been Oblivion. No action RPG I have played can compare to that game.

It sucks compared to more traditional games like NWN2 and Baldur's Gate, however it is a good action RPG if you are into it, with Bloodlines and Jade Empire filling in #2 and #3 spots of my favorite action RPG titles.

Also I have been getting better playing action oriented games. My last play through of Bloodlines I didn't die once to that damnable werewolf.

Edited by Sand

What I thought funny is the Jane Austin reference. I have played Halo and Halo 2. I have read some of the works of Jane Austin. The two are definitely not comparable.

What I thought funny is the Jane Austin reference. I have played Halo and Halo 2. I have read some of the works of Jane Austin. The two are definitely not comparable.

The only thing the halo storyline is comparable to is the cheap sci fi novels you can buy at the supermarket.

Edited by tripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

The only thing the halo storyling is comparable to is the cheap sci fi novels you can buy at the supermarket.

I think that is a fair assessment. If the game had to stand on its story alone it would fall flatter than a anorexic super model doing a belly flop in a kiddy pool.

And yet Bioshock allows me to modify the abilities of my character more extensive than so called (Action) RPGs.

Not really. It was as meaningless as the "moral choice". Whereas in Deus Ex or even Diablo II modifying your character added to your list of abilities or enhanced your weak ones, in Bioshock you start out good at everything and get better, and nothing is permanent, so by the end you have no weaknesses at all. It's more like Oblivion than anything else. An all-powerful character is no more interesting than a supremely weak one.

But, this hype, yes, it's stupid. But I've reason to believe that USA Today wasn't paid off, but rather, a staggeringly large contingent of console 'tards (as Yahtzee affectionately called them) actually believe this ****, and USA Today is only calling it as it sees it.

Edited by Pop

Probably.

whats going to make this game for me is how hard it makes you work for it on the 4 player co-op, after that all fps basically play the same once you get the hang of the control system.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Lets see, it plays more like a fps, death is meaningless, no real inventory system, no character creation, simplistic and shallow design, all tressed up in pretty graphics. Yes, that does sound like a game I don't want to play. Also it did help cement my opinion of the game when I tried the demo.

1.jpg

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

At least I played the demo! ;)

From what I heard Bioshock is boring. Its sure is pretty, but boring. It is the stereotypical dumb blonde of computer gaming.

If you'd played the game to completion you would probably find that statement laughable.

Bioshock

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me