What are you playing now?

Darque

From the Steam Community beta changelog!

Friday, August 10th

The Steam Community Update Notes:

- Fixed an overlay crash when certain games would exit

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That is like the best part of the entire game, besides the hospital. Of course, the levels before and right after that are pretty annoying, since it's just a case of constant ascend and avoiding Pyramid Head, but the actual prison is awesome. I was scared witless in the hanging gallows and some of the ambients in that place are torture. Though it wasn't nearly as unnerving as the freaking nurses you met before. Don't fret though, after you pass the prison, it gets gradually less scary, until the very end. Of course, if you hate hate hate the Pryamid Head, you might not want to continue after the short trip to Toluca Lake. Personally, that rowing part was just as unnerving as the actual game levels, the lake was just eerie and you constantly waited something to attack or some encounter to happen. I kept expecting the dead steamship to pass by or something equally cool. Shame really, although if they were going for that silence before the storm thing, they totally succeeded.

I'm still playing Shivering Isles, just entered the Mazken stronghold to kill some orderites and test out the level 13 Madness Longsword(damage health ftw). I sort of missed the whole Dawnfang/Duskfang thing, which annoys me now as I love the whole soulfeeding idea and the weapon would probably have been pretty powerful. Especially because now, since I can beat everything with just using my fists, I could have spammed hand to hand for strength multipliers and finished with the 'Fang. Total powergaming, but it's pretty much the norm, unless you wish to metagame yourself to oblivion(rofl) by keeping a low level. You could outfight anyone in this expansion no matter how lousy a fighter you are, since Bethesda nerfed enemy attack reach and rate(you can fish them for attacks and constantly beat their face, without ever getting hit), as long as you avoided enemy attacks as to not stagger or take status effects. Some enemies also do immense damage rates, way worse than the soppy daedra of vanilla Oblivion. Skinned hounds, mature baliwogs and scalons can keep a constant barrage of good damage up, unlike some stupid Daedroth whose only good attack is defeated by fire resistance or ridiculous dremora who fail to block-stagger strategy constantly.

Heh, I don't know if I've ever played the system so much in a crpg before. Maybe FF 8 gets somewhat near with the nigh-constant character planning and status effect mixing. The game needed that to keep itself interesting though, as every battle was actually just a linear repeat sequence of Shiva/Doomtrain/Eden/Aura+Lionheart-animations.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

From the Steam Community beta changelog!

Friday, August 10th

The Steam Community Update Notes:

- Fixed an overlay crash when certain games would exit

So does the fix work for your then?

Nope.

ilya.jpg

Edit: roffle. and no, none of those are actual choices, I just thought the edit was funny.

Edit2:wait, there actually was choice like that. the game just made you appear a huge perv afterwards, iirc. I mean, Ilyasviel is like 21, but a loli is a loli.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

LOL! Nice choices. :down:

I'm trying to start a game of Baldur's Gate 2, but I've been having some huge problems with it. It seems to hang the entire system at every other load screen. The only way to do anything after it hangs is to reboot the computer. :sad: At first I thought it had something to do with me playing at 1024x768, so I restarted in 800x600. Managed to get through one load screen only to freeze at the next.

I wish was an otaku so I could properly appreciate this eroge besides just reliving the anime.

Wait...maybe I'll take that back. :down:

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Dark Cloud 2. I bought this game like a year ago becuase I was feeling especially nostalgic about dark cloud 1 which I absolutely loved then replayed and quit because I was like this isn't that great.....Anyways I had about an hour and a half into the game from back when I bought it but I was totally lost so I just started anew. I found out why I quit back then because I suck, really really bad at this game. The controls are kind of odd and the enemies are especially mean and the sheer amount of cinematics are pretty lame. However I'm really going to try hard to continue with a handy little walk through to help me.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Well the crashes every time I tried to load or save a game in BG2 were fixed by re-installing. Everything seemed to be running smoothly until it crashed just as Hendak finished his "Now you die!" speech. Hopefully it was only a one time thing. It's probably a good thing anyway as I needed the excuse to quit for the evening. :ermm:

Playing through Deus Ex again, this time with the Shifter and HDTP mods. I made a few minor changes in the way I play the game and it's had some interesting results. For one, my game crashed shortly after initiating dialogues with Lebedev and Navarre on the airplane. So upon restart, I shot Navarre before initiating dialogue, thus saving Lebedev's life (although it doesn't do him any good, it adds some foreshadowing) the second, much more significant change is that

instead of running when the MiB come for Paul in Hell's Kitchen, I stayed and blasted them all to bits with a GEP gun. Up to this point I was sure that Paul's death was an immutable facet of the game's narrative. It might still be (I'm in Hong Kong presently) but I find it oddly thrilling that I missed all this branching.

Heh, Lost Planet is is possibly my favorite game this year so far. Boss battles are freaking awesome and very challenging on hard difficulty. Thermal energy is a nice concept that works very well on that difficulty level. Co-op would have made this a serious contender for my GOTY, but even without right now I think it has a decent shot. I can't wait to replay on extreme difficulty.

Now, I understand that the game is supposedly a cakewalk on normal and too hard for the average gamer on hard, which is too bad. And perhaps why reviews and the gaming community at large hasn't been too receptive of the game.

On a sidenote, Forza2 with a wheel is surprisingly fun. I probably wouldn't even look at this game without the wheel. Strange how a simple peripheral makes such a difference, but I guess that also applies to Guitar Hero.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Heh, Lost Planet is is possibly my favorite game this year so far. Boss battles are freaking awesome and very challenging on hard difficulty. Thermal energy is a nice concept that works very well on that difficulty level. Co-op would have made this a serious contender for my GOTY, but even without right now I think it has a decent shot. I can't wait to replay on extreme difficulty.

Now, I understand that the game is supposedly a cakewalk on normal and too hard for the average gamer on hard, which is too bad. And perhaps why reviews and the gaming community at large hasn't been too receptive of the game.

I've got Lost Planet too. I bought is close to it's release date, and got to like the third mission and put it down. Just yesterday I picked it back up and now I'm on mission 9 or something. Do you like the multiplayeR?

I tried a few times to connect, but it didn't work. Something about the host aborting the session when that's not the case. Wasn't interested enough to be more persistent. Also, map pack 1/2 are available for free. Pack 3 will apparently be free next week.

I had played the mp demo before. It was okay. I also had the same connection bug back then as well.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Lost Planet hasn't been received incredibly because it is literally an arcade game minus the arcade machine. The thermal energy concept is a classical arcade mechanic for getting people to put in extra quarters, just toned down a bit since it didn't end up at arcades. And I think the main reason it's not so well incredibly well received is that it is absolutely mindless. It has about as much chance of being GOTY as Painkiller, as GOTYs usually have to excel in more than one area and appeal to more than a niche crowd, unless the genre does otherwise incredibly poorly that year.

Or I could be talking out my butt. I played the demo and thought to myself that the game plays exactly like an arcade game, that Capcom for some reason decided not to put at arcades. IE, not really a gaming meal, but a gaming snack while you're waiting for your movie to start seating.

Edited by Tale

I tried a few times to connect, but it didn't work. Something about the host aborting the session when that's not the case. Wasn't interested enough to be more persistent. Also, map pack 1/2 are available for free. Pack 3 will apparently be free next week.

I had played the mp demo before. It was okay. I also had the same connection bug back then as well.

Yeah, I have the same problem. I'm pretty sure it's because the hosts just kick anyone that's level one. That's what I've been told at least.

Deus Ex: Invisible War

I have 3 maxed out regular mods, 2 maxed out black market. What the heck am I supposed to do with my 5 biomod canisters and 2 black market biomod canisters? I mean this more as a silly complaint, but they really should have done more to limit your biomod upgrades. I've been Billy Badass since New Cairo.

*grumble grumble grumble*

My crashing problems with BG2 seems to have gone away after I reinstalled, but now I have other problems instead. I think I may have to uninstall that "Always toughest spawns" part of tactics. Either that or I need to stop traveling at night, cause I'm sure as hell not paying money those money grubbing Cowled Wizards to use magic in the city. Jerks. :)

I'm getting my ass kicked all over the city by the stupid bandit spawns. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't hasted and one of my characters could resist a hold person for once. >_<

Wait till you try Shivering Isles.

I just finished it, I'm still giggling like mad. Final battle was awesome and so was all the plot leading up to that. There was really only one complaint that worth mentioning - not enough main villain. I would have liked to see more of him before ending his corporeal existence, but whatever. Best thing since Bloodmoon.

kirottu said:

Okay, my crashing problems with BG2 are not done yet. At least when it crashes it's just CTD's instead of locking up so I don't have to reboot. Thankfully I quicksaved about 5 seconds before it crashed this time. I just whacked Pai'Na in the crypts and came out of the cocoon thing when it crashed.

My paladin now has his own thieves guild. Improved Mae'Var is another mod that I think I can do without. 4 thieves, each with improved invisibility, ultimate spell trigger's of doom containing every spell protection in the game and instant summons? At level 8? No thanks. It wouldn't be so bad if Edwin was able to get off more than a single spell before he goes down under a hail of Melf's Minute Meteors, followed soon after by Aerie. :thumbsup:

Deus Ex: Invisible War has some good endings. None of them are "bad endings." In the sense that they're less interesting than the others or imply failure. Heck, one of the endings where you side with a bad guy seems easily as good as the one where you side with the good guys. I also think it's terrific to note that the good guys in the game are pursuing a course that's so drastic and out there that in any any other game, they would have been the bad guys. And for that it had me doubting them until the very end.

All in all, TERRIFIC GAME! A little dumbed down from the last one, regrettably. Most notably in the augmentation department. But the ones present were pretty nice. Domination was awesome. I would run in with my thermal, tag a giant robot, find a hiding place, then mow down all his pals.

Edited by Tale