exercise

Walsingham

Well, I've been sticking to my exercise regime, with very very gradual increments. I now do 60 situps, 60 bicep curls, 20 press-ups, and 40 mins running every two days. It's not much, but if you recall my knees are funted then I'm not too bad. I've also replaced breakfast with a piece of fruit, and lunch with salad. I have lost quite a bit of weight.

Given I have paid for this with dull pains in my legs, sore arms, and public ignominy as I wheeze around, I was wondering how you other chaps had got on. Sand?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

well im not exactly overweight but im trying to stay fit for volleyball. a little excersize is better than none. if u eat organic you can feel a large difference. i also have on and off low blood sugar so i eat a ton. like whole pizzas at a time.sometimes i notice when i eat less i gain weight... im wierd like that. basically i rely on eating alot so i have a super fast metabolism.. good job on the progress tho ( lol we can have a weight loss support group in here)

"She was short, she was furry, she was loud, and she was determined to sell him a melon"- random passage from Spector of the Past by Timothy Zahn

40 minutes of running is more than I can generally do. I go for about 1.2 miles (.6 miles each way) every day which takes me about 12-15 minutes. I'm building up towards 1.5 miles currently. I do 25 elevated push ups and 30 situps. I used to do 100 situps just 7 years ago, so I'm hoping to make quick progress on that one. I also do leg squats every now and then when I don't go running (because it's raining or there's a really good show on) and I usually do that to exhaustion.

I don't weigh myself.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm still pumping iron but only 2 days a week now instead of 4. However I've been going hiking with my friend and his bro and we might try trail running tomorrow. Always a super great work out, huge calorie burn, good leg exercise, etc. I want to maybe try doing a 300 work out like twice a month or something but I really want to start hiking every weekend so I have at least one really good cardiovascular workout a week since I don't run anymore. I should also start using my jump rope, btw walsh you might want to check out skipping. 10 minutes of jump roping is the equivalent of running a mile in 8 minutes. And you can burn 1300 calories in an hour. It also has less impact on the knees than running since you are landing on both feet. Plus you can get some mad footwork and become an ultimate boxer. I believe in you. :thumbsup:

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Sand?

I have lowered my food and pop intake and sporadically exercised. I need to get into a regular time table but so far I have maintained without any significant loss. :down:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I'm buying a jump rope after work. Been planning on getting one for a while, thanks for the reminder slug.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm buying a jump rope after work. Been planning on getting one for a while, thanks for the reminder slug.

Yep i got a super nice one for like 7 bucks. Ridiculously cheap but efficient exercise tool.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Thanks to this thread I did a little 30 minute cardio work out. I did some jump rope, pull ups, push ups, curls, stairs, foot technique drills, and in place running. Kind of sweaty but overall it was alright. I was super tired from my work out last night so it wasn't that great. I think I need some good vitamins and supplements because the vitamin I take now seems to have zero effect what so ever on how I feel.

drink lots of water!!! :down:

random fact: when you sweat ur body lets out toxins and if theres no toxins u dont get b.o.

claps for working out slug

"She was short, she was furry, she was loud, and she was determined to sell him a melon"- random passage from Spector of the Past by Timothy Zahn

I've got a jumprope, from back in the day. A good weighted leather one. I guess I can take it out to the park. I run like a rhino with arthritis anyway, so it's not like I'll be embarassed. I didn't realise it was such good exercise, though. I just thought it was good for balance, poise, and speed, which are not current priorities.

Crucially, my knee seems to have survived today. I was getting worried, but actually it seems to only worry me a lot when I go upstairs or sit cross-legged.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

rofl yeah jump roping is kind of tough tho, at least I can't really jump rope for very long because my calves start to burn pretty quick. Cardio wise I'm not to sure which is more effective. I think maybe running is a bit more suited to your needs so you should probably just stick with that. Just it's always nice to mix things up.

I bought a benchpress with some left over birthday money to start lifting for hockey. So that's neat.

Hey, I started rock climbing last summer, and I noticed a huge improvement in my hockey game fairly quickly. My upper body strength skyrocketed, but I think my balance has improved as well. I've never had the self-discipline to lift weights consistently, so I definitely recommend climbing as an alternative. Unfortunately it's not available everywhere.

Maybe he doesn't believe in Newtons.

-Elwood Blues

I bought a benchpress with some left over birthday money to start lifting for hockey. So that's neat.

Hey, I started rock climbing last summer, and I noticed a huge improvement in my hockey game fairly quickly. My upper body strength skyrocketed, but I think my balance has improved as well. I've never had the self-discipline to lift weights consistently, so I definitely recommend climbing as an alternative. Unfortunately it's not available everywhere.

Yeah right now I use free weights and such almost exclusively, and I notice a huge difference in strength than when I used to wrestle where I didn't use any free weights at all. I'd say when you are doing things that utilize your own body weight to perform an exercise they are much more practical and generally just better over all for your body and strength.

I have immense trouble sticking to any kind of self-set routine. Every now and then I'll get the urge to do something and I'll do 30-40 push ups and maybe the same amount of sit ups, or go ride my bike for 30 minutes, but then I'll end up not doing anything else for a week. Every time I try to start some sort of routine I'll stick with it for a couple days, maybe a week at the most before it slips my mind and I completely forget about it.

I'm feeling a little heavy lately due to doing nothing other than sitting on my ass during the day at work and then coming home late and just watching TV.

I've grown very lazy and I noticed that it has started to affect my overall mood and demeanor. So I hit the gym yesterday did 30 minutes on the bike then a 4 mile jog...very slowly.

It was painful at first but then actually felt quite nice towards the end. I actually let out a big belch as things started to settle down inside and grossed the girl out next to me on the treadmill....I felt proud.

Today I go back and do some light lifting...just to get my body back in the groove. Don't want to shock it too much.

I'm feeling a little heavy lately due to doing nothing other than sitting on my ass during the day at work and then coming home late and just watching TV.

I've grown very lazy and I noticed that it has started to affect my overall mood and demeanor. So I hit the gym yesterday did 30 minutes on the bike then a 4 mile jog...very slowly.

It was painful at first but then actually felt quite nice towards the end. I actually let out a big belch as things started to settle down inside and grossed the girl out next to me on the treadmill....I felt proud.

Today I go back and do some light lifting...just to get my body back in the groove. Don't want to shock it too much.

rofl, just a tip tho besides not belching in front of chicks you really shouldn't be doing physical activity any longer than 45 minutes. If you plan on doing that in a regular routine for a decent period of time you're going to burn yourself out and could easily hurt yourself. Biggest mistake newbies make is over training.

On a side note, any exercise I did today has been nullified by dinner. Mainly salad, but one slice of pizza and 4 chicken wings. But I have no regrets except the wings sucked.

Edited by theslug

wow

i eat so much. i can hardly do 10 push ups and i ran .5 miles last night. ugh. being a teenage girl. im gonna get big muscles......... u just wait :shifty:

10 push ups nice

you should try doing multiple sets of 10. do that a couple times a week, then step it up to 15, then so on and so forth. I mean a few months ago this chick probably around 120-125 pounds was benching 25's (90~ pounds) which is pretty good. I mean me and my friend do 35's, I do 50's when I go alone but I mean you could probably reach that kind of strength pretty quick if you really wanted to. I wish I did more push ups, pretty much like the wonder exercise. Hit a ton of muscle groups. I remember when I used to be able to do 50. Last time I tried could only do 30. Totally lame. Also remember doing 25 pull ups, now I can barely do 10 maybe.

ill try it. i usually go crazy and over exert myself and cant move for a week

There's actually an indoor rock climbing place about 20 minutes from my house. I'll look into that.

I have immense trouble sticking to any kind of self-set routine. Every now and then I'll get the urge to do something and I'll do 30-40 push ups and maybe the same amount of sit ups, or go ride my bike for 30 minutes, but then I'll end up not doing anything else for a week. Every time I try to start some sort of routine I'll stick with it for a couple days, maybe a week at the most before it slips my mind and I completely forget about it.

I had the exact same problem. In many ways I still do. LIfe is a complex business and settling on anything in a routine is tricky. It was only when it occurred to me that I always make time for gaming that I realised I was making a few excuses. :lol: It's a psychological thing. I had become too used to thinking of exercise as a chore. Whereas in fact it's a treat. I thought of this because for me it really is. Five years ago I could barely climb stairs my knees were so bad. I never thought I'd run again. But physio and hard work has paid off.

My advice is to isolate the bits about exercise you like, and whenever you're bored or miffed off you just drop what you're doing and go do them. Let the routine handle itself.

BTW, is anyone else amused that theslug has become forum drill sergeant? It's what we bloody need.

-Elwood Blues