Dragon and Dungeon Magazines canned.

Deraldin

Figured that this would work best in the PnP forum. For those that don't know Dragon = Player content magazine and Dungeon = DM content (adventures) magazine.

Paizo Publishing Announcement

Wizards Press Release

I'm really disappointed over all of this. I've been a subscriber to Dungeon and Dragon for close to two years now and bought Dragon at the newsstand for several years before subscribing, which isn't even close to the 30 years that these magazines have been in circulation. I've been able to find something great in just about every issue that I own and while I may not have had any real opportunities to use the material it's consistently been of a high quality.

Paizo will continue their Adventure Paths (Campaign modules, start at level one end at 20) through a new "book" called Pathfinder but what upsets me most is that there doesn't seem to be anything to replace the void that Dragon will leave behind in the player content arena. Apparently WotC is also going to be moving their D&D content that would normally have been in the magazines to an online format.

I'm still kind of in shock over all this so I'll leave it at that for now. :sad:

Edited by Deraldin

This has been brewing for months and doesn't come a shock to me at all. It costs money to print those magazines and being a niche market with rising cost the only way to continue such service is to canned the print form and go PDF. Hell, as PnP progresses I think that printed game books will be of the past and everything will be on PDF. The vast majority of the d20 System is on electronic format already and about half my gaming group uses laptops for keeping track of their character and to have the SRD ready at their finger tips. Hell, the majority of all my Dragon magazines are already in PDF format.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The hell with them. I like that nice colored magazine not some cheap PDF file.

I prefer not to have a clutter so I either get my books all on PDF or I scan them in and put the hardcovers in a secured box. A LCD screen is my DM Screen.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

To be honest it makes a lot more sense to cut their publishing outlays by going internet, despite the loss of customer satisfaction.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The hell with them. I like that nice colored magazine not some cheap PDF file.

I prefer not to have a clutter so I either get my books all on PDF or I scan them in and put the hardcovers in a secured box. A LCD screen is my DM Screen.

I feel like that guy in the information center of Vault City in Fallout 2 who had all his books taken away so they could be replaced by electronic copies. A PDF just can't replace a hard copy. I hate PDFs. :lol:

Good Lord!

Anyhow, a magazine is quite nice. It's not like I can haul my computer into the bed and read these things before I sleep. On the other hand, I just can't see having all that around the house. I've got a bunch of old dnd books. Maybe I should ebay some of it.

Anyone remember the old dnd boxed set? The one with the faint bluish tinge and a human fighting a dragon? For you youngsters, it came out BEFORE the red basic set. I still have that, although I don't nearly as much stuff as Sawyer does. I wouldn't know where to put it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I just sold a bunch of my D&D books and I threw away all of my Dragon/Dungeon mags years ago. I don't have the room for any of that stuff anymore and I'd just as gladly use .pdfs and print out selected pages when necessary.

You could have sold them at a used bookstore or a garage sale. :mellow::down:

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 2 weeks later...