Dark Messiah

Fionavar

Rather than be accused of necroposting ;), I was wondering if anyone has thoughts since release and patching of the game? Good alternative to the FP of Elder Scroll approach? Just a dressed up h&s - worth it? You know, impressions ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

It doesn't look like my sort of game. It looks like it would have more in common with Hexen than Deus Ex.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I never had a chance to play Hexen - the DE parallel was owing to the FP nature and a 'point system.' Perhaps A System Shock parallel would work better?

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Think of Thief, but better developed Akshun. Sneaking is still in and works, there're also some abilities you can spend after getting some Exp, but it's not an RPG. Action with more playroom I'd say, very enjoyable! And before you ask: Forget the M&M stamp: That's for marketing reasons only. The game really doesn't have anything with M&M in common, except some visual reminders here and there.

Edited by Morgoth

I absolutely loved it. The action of it is superior (at least when playing a stealth + archer). The companion character (the one that is heard more than seen) is lots of fun to have and really helped make the game for me, providing character and amusement throughout.

If you're interested in action-adventure games, and not looking for some open ended sandbox or whatever Oblivion is, then I would hazard to guess that you would like it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's a good enough action game. Archery and sword fighting is well implemented. Can't say about magic since other than heal I didn't buy many spells. Character customization is decent, actually as good as can be expected in an action game (sort of like how it works in Gothic III but less detailed).

I found the story and the general writing to be somewhat uninspired though. It's all fairly... campy. But it's not being sold on it's storytelling merits, but on it's sword fighting merits. And those are very good.

It was great fun at first, but did become a tad repetitive at the end. Not bad enough for me not to finish it, but it did lessen the enjoyment I got out of the game.

As did the endgame bug I suffered, where the game would crash after beating the final boss, but before showing the end cinematics (or rather bug out in a way that it would seem like I had failed in the last quest rather than beat it). It's possible that has been fixed in a patch, but I just felt cheated...

It's a fun title a bit like a more violent version of Thief (including rope bow!). I played a spell caster and really enjoyed it, although by the end you're spamming fireballs which perhaps makes the game a little too easy.

Looking forward to playing it again as a warrior type.

It seemed like generic fantasy stuff to me so any relationship to the M&M world is pretty negligible.

Good nod to the price - also apparently there is a rather helpful patch en route - so maybe I will wait until then. I also will likely get it through Steam ... we'll see.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

My copy was at an unbeatable price. Free, from someone who got a second copy when he bought a new graphics card.

DM was alot of fun, but it depends how you approch the game, and how you wanna play it, I always have enjoied melee combat so i never bothered with magic or sneaking, I didn't kick much either. There is some bad design in there but it's too much fun to let it effect the awesome gameplay mechanics, there is no better FP melee game on the market.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Good nod to the price - also apparently there is a rather helpful patch en route - so maybe I will wait until then. I also will likely get it through Steam ... we'll see.

Jade Empire is available through Steam in about two weeks ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Jade Empire is available through Steam in about two weeks ...

5 days

I found JE new for 5 bucks (Xbox version) just this week. The gameplay's actually not that bad and actually kind of fun (on GrandMaster difficulty). The story is pretty standard Bioware fare so far. Music is nice.

As for DM, the demo featured some pretty nice melee fighting. I might pick it up sometime when it's cheap. The MP didn't really impress, so I'm in no rush to play it.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The story is pretty standard Bioware fare so far.

Is that good or bad? Neverwinter Nights standard or KOTOR standard? KOTOR I could be okay with.

I think it's much better than KotOR's.

Ahh crap, so I have to buy it now, don't I?

God, I hate you.