It must be said ...

metadigital

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Are there any Australians that have posted in this thread? Or any people who watched the ashes or understand the game of cricket? :p

Meta you from Aus or England? Anyways, Australia wont be much of a great team with the leaving of star Shane Warne and Glen Mcgrath, shame that Justin Langer is leaving and I've seen that Gilly has had some thoughts of retirement, lets just hope Australia has some good reinforcements for the team and hopefully just as good players to replace, and its really hard considering how good Shane Warne is with his spinning magic :p

Australia have been the best team in the world for about fifteen years (depending on when you want to start the run), way back when Allan Border was the captain in the eighties, before Shane Warne and when Stephen Waugh was yet to make a century (he made about ten scores in the nineties before his first tonne).

Australia has a zealous regard for sport: their Institute of Sport seeks out young, talented children to help them excel at their best sport and they have a religious attitude to playing.

England, on the other hand, have one of the most dysfunctional systems I have ever seen: it is riven with political decision-making and the competition is not robust enough to keep the best players in form; let alone finding young talent.

In other words, if England produce a winning team, it will be by good luck rather than good management; whereas sport is a science in Australia.

What is telling about this victory is that the surprise defeat last year of the Australian team, who had kept the Ashes for 22 years, is that the English didn't expect a ferocious fight. That's why Australia beat them five games to nil. Make no mistake, England weren't even good enough to draw out a game; they were comprehensively beaten in every aspect.

Cricket puts me to sleep.

This Aussie feels the same way.

Count me in then. -_-

I assume you are talking about Test Cricket, as the recent One Day Internationals have had teams scoring in excess of 400 runs from 50 overs, so I doubt anyone can call that boring. Certainly no-one who claims that Baseball is exciting, that's for sure.

As for Test Cricket (the five-day international matches), this is just another level of strategy. I enjoy it because I've played the game and I understand the rules and I appreciate the best players in the world displaying their mastery of the various specialities. Captaincy is a vital role in Test Cricket, probably moreso than batting, bowling and keeping wickets combined, as an incorrect strategic decision can destroy the team's chances.

Just to put it in context, England couldn't even manage to DRAW a game. They were unable to keep the Australians from bowling their team out twice. No matter how hard they tried.

Nah. Not my sort of computer game.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Actually, cricket was big in the US before the civil war; Lincoln encouraged baseball because it was simpler to learn and didn't take up as much space.

Sure, he freed the slaves, but I never realized how great of a man he was till just now.

i can't stand test cricket. could any sport possibly be more boring? -_-

i can tolerate one day matches, but they still bore me...

whatever happened to cricket max?

that was actually quite fast paced and exciting to watch :p)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Gent'...Is that what they're calling gay over there now? :aiee:

queer; for the uncivilized brute as yer'self.

and you wouldn't know what a Gent was, even if you saw one.. such civilized behaviour would be like magic to you.. and with your cold heart, and skeptic mind, he would therefore be invisible..

What if I don't believe in magic?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Well he had been thought the arts of Gent'ing .. but he twisted and perverted it - so while it may appear to the layman, that he was in fact a Gent', this is far from the truth.

Fortune favors the bald.

Guest The Architect

IMO, cricket isn't a boring sport to watch at all, whether it be test or one day cricket, it's all good IMO. But I assume that's because me old man is a cricket freak, and was apparently really good at it, but I wouldn't know, because I didn't exist when he was playing.

So I've grown up, learning about cricket and watching it, and I played it a lot at school and stuff, but not as an out of school sport, because soccer was my out of school one. Cricket is more fun to play than watch though. But the best type of cricket to play is beach cricket IMO. (w00t)

Anyway, it's no surprise that the Pome's got hammered, because we're the best test cricket team in the world without question. We are pretty much invincible in our own turf.

And England aren't that good anyway, based on what I saw from the Ashes series. Maybe it was because they weren't used to the heat or something or cause' of their captain being unable to play in the series, but yet again, maybe not. Maybe they just suck? :( Well, they did have one or two good days, but it didn't really get them anywhere, because whatever they did, we did a thousand times better.

Edited by The Architect

I remember last year, when we lost the Ashes and the Pom's where full ripping into us Aussies, and not being sympathetic but full giving it to us, I remember one Black English bloke who said something on the lines of "OH YEAH YOU AUSTRALIANS CANT PLAY CRICKET" and they were not modest in their victory, oh I would like to see that man today.

Anyways, cricket isnt half as bad as Australian Rules Football, OH DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THAT CRAP OF A SPORT.

i can't stand test cricket. could any sport possibly be more boring?  -_-

No surprises there: I wouldn't like cricket if I had to watch the NZ team ... :D

so I doubt anyone can call that boring.

Cricket, in all it's forms, is boring.

Thankyou, Hell Kitty, grand arbiter of taste. :p

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, I find basketball boring, too, but for totally different reasons: the frenetic dashing from one end to the other just becomes meaningless UNLESS you happen to play the game and appreciate what it's like to be one of the gadfly-like players charging around the court, and happen to like/dislike (or both) one of the teams. Empathy and sympathy. I've played cricket (a lot) and thus I enjoy watching it and soaking up the strategic battle of a five day match. :p

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I find all sports, except arena football, boring.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Guest The Architect
Cricket, in all it's forms, is boring.

You, are boring! :D :shifty:

I remember last year, when we lost the Ashes and the Pom's where full ripping into us Aussies, and not being sympathetic but full giving it to us, I remember one Black English bloke who said something on the lines of "OH YEAH YOU AUSTRALIANS CANT PLAY CRICKET" and they were not modest in their victory, oh I would like to see that man today.

:lol:

I'd say the picture of Flintoff that metadigital posted gives us an idea of what the Pome's who follow cricket would be like. ;)

Anyways, cricket isnt half as bad as Australian Rules Football, OH DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THAT CRAP OF A SPORT.

What? :o You fu--, no no, I'll...overlook this one, cause' it's you. But, if I see one more anti-AFL post from you, then, well, this: :bat: says it all, capish? :D

I find all sports, except arena football, boring.

Huh? What the hell is wrong with you? :huh:

If I knew how to post pictures during a post, which I don't, :"> then I would of posted a STFU noob picture or something. :shifty:

Cricket puts me to sleep. Shane Warne is a sleaze, I go for New Zealand, but not for Cricket, because I have enough trouble staying awake.

Your posts put me to sleep, you are a sleaze, I go for Australia and cricket, but not for you, because I have enough trouble staying awake reading your posts. :shifty: :D

Oh, and twenty twenty cricket sucks, but test and especially one day cricket, rules.

Edited by The Architect