Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Playstation 3 a bargain?

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts
Preliminary analysis indicates that server's locked up pretty tight, I'm impressed. Three real ports open all running services that are pretty unhackable, lots of fake ports. With the exclusion of DOS based attacks and unisolated attacks breaking in is going to be a pain.

More to come after sleep.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

If by bargin they mean shabby games that actually run worse than their 360 counterparts, a lack luster launch line-up, horrible online service, and a controller that needed drastic remodeling, then yeah, it's a bargin.

PS3 am fail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, were you trying to make the MOST TROLLISH post seen on the forum since ... well, you last posted? ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stating facts equals trolling now? Interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, using deliberately inflamatory language with the aim to denigrate and/or cause injury is trolling. :lol:)

Shabby games? You certainly won't be on any game developers' Christmas lists. And I wouldn't be bragging about the Xbox 360's launch titles, either.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
The PS3 launch is just as good as the X Box 360 launch. Neither had anything worthwhile. Of course X Box 360 has been out for 1 year and still doesn't have anything worthwhile.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
Who cares what kind of release titles the Xbox 360 had? That was a year ago and this time, at the same time the Playstation 3 is semi-released, it has Gears of War. I see no point in comparing year old titles with today's titles, as it's what here right now that counts. And the Xbox 360 sure has Playstation 3 beat right now. Or is anyone going to try to claim that Resistance: Fall of Man can compete with Unreal Engine 3-powered Gears of War? Not I.

Right now, the Xbox 360 is in a clear and indisputable lead. The good thing for Sony is that they'll be having the same sharp increase in quality (of services, hardware failure rates and software) as Microsoft has had in their first year. By the time Playstation 3 launches in Europe (said to be in March 207, but I doubt it) the comparison will be more interesting to make.

Since the Playstation 3 is more difficult to code for, I expect the games to lag behind for quite a while, but once they tap into the hardware and manage to extract the power within (which I believe is greater than that of the Xbox 360), I suspect the most spectacular looking games might come out on the Playstation 3.

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5240 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'll wait with the PS3 for the following reasons:

1. I'm from europe. No PS3 here until march 2007 the earliest (summer seems more likely)

2. No Heavenly Sword, no F1, no Motorstorm, no Final Fantasy, no Metal Gear Solid and no other RPG at the moment either.

3. No need for the "next-generation" features such as HD and Blu-Ray when you you don't care about buying a HDTV in the near future.

Xbox360 has GoW, but it doesn't interest me. Wii FTW!

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
I was searching for a tidbit about the Playstation 3 that we argued about on these forums a while back, but then I ended up reading a bunch of old threads and forgot what I was looking for.. But it wasn't entirely fruitless! I found this post, by our very own profit Epiphany, that I thought was kind of funny in hindsight:

Yet, continually, as more information is released regarding the X360/PS3, I'm proven correct.

He starts off strong with this bold claim (we'll ignore his DirectX 10 debacle for now)..

Well, the proof is in the pudding, and the simple fact of the matter is Bethesda made it publicly known time and time again, that every console that could handle Oblivion would get it - Guess what, it's X360 exclusive.

..and a few lines later in the post comes this claim: Oblivion is Xbox 360 exclusive!

I think it's common knowledge by now that Oblivion will indeed come to the Playstation 3.

The only prediction/opinion I was proven wrong on (and not even by you people), was when I said that MS would most likely put HD-DVD drives in the X360 before launch, and that decision would be made in late August.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because he was so clearly proven wrong earlier in the same post I thought this last little paragraph was hilarious. :))

Ahem.. back to searching! :thumbsup:

TravisPennington

TravisPennington

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 45 posts
When I first heard the PS3 would be able to run Linux as an Operating System, it never really hit me what kind of possibilities there would be. I didn't think about it, I guess.

Now that all of this news is hitting...I'm totally shocked. Sony's answer to Xbox Live isn't just a free online plan with a unified login and a marketplace...it's giving you Linux. Real Linux. That can emulate Windows. That can pretty much do anything. :lol:

This is great news to me. Sony are geniuses for doing this.

And yeah, it sucks that it won't be released in Europe until next year, but I don't know why you'd want a boycott over it. The supply should be a bit higher, you probably won't have to deal with all the Ebayers, a lot of the defects will be worked out, along with (most likely) most of the minor issues the PS3 is currently having.

Europe got the PS2 after the US and Japan too, I think. Honestly I think Microsoft sorta spoiled everyone with that worldwide launch. I know Sony planned it...but with only less than 500,000 units, releasing in Europe wouldn't have done much. You wouldn't have a PS3 right now even if they did, I don't think, due to such limited quantities. Just look at the bright side dude, when it does come out over there you'll have more games (*GOOD* games haha) and less problems to deal with.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts

And yeah, it sucks that it won't be released in Europe until next year, but I don't know why you'd want a boycott over it.

I am perfectly aware of all the benefits we get from letting the rest of the world act as beta-testers for us. But it's that horrible attitude that Sony has against Europe that makes my buttocks itch. They even said, "Europe doesn't mind waiting, they'll buy it anyhow", which is true.. I just wish we could prove Sony wrong and NOT buy it whenever they deem us worthy of purchasing their high flying product.

Another reason for a boycott would be the fact that not only do they (Sony) let us wait longer, they also translate the prices directly from $ to . That means when the console costs $599 (4 195,70 SEK) in the US, it'll cost 599 (5 501,52 SEK) in Europe. They not only let us wait longer, they add ~30% to the price too! How's that for second-rate-citizen treatment?

thepixiesrock

thepixiesrock

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3694 posts

If by bargin they mean shabby games that actually run worse than their 360 counterparts, a lack luster launch line-up, horrible online service, and a controller that needed drastic remodeling, then yeah, it's a bargin.

PS3 am fail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, were you trying to make the MOST TROLLISH post seen on the forum since ... well, you last posted? ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stating facts equals trolling now? Interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So then you've played a PS3 and the majority of the games for it? The controller remodeling and "lack luster launch line-up" are completely opinion.

Krookie

Krookie

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3742 posts

The PS3 launch is just as good as the X Box 360 launch.  Neither had anything worthwhile.  Of course X Box 360 has been out for 1 year and still doesn't have anything worthwhile.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Minus Gears of War, GRAW, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Hitman: Blood Money and a bunch of others.

Just because a game isn't worthwhile to you, doesn't make it worthwhile for everyone else.

Edited by Krookie, 28 November 2006 - 02:19 PM.

Surreptishus

Surreptishus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1347 posts
Its only Gears of War that's exclusive to 360... for the moment.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15737 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
See mkreku, sometimes finding old posts and doing some digging CAN be fun.

You're well on your way to becoming like me!

My favourites are still:

There is no GPU in the PS1 or PS2, all graphical opperations are done via the CPU. That's where the whole "emotion engine" came from, regarding the PS2. The emotion engine is part of the CPU - which is not a GPU.

I believe there is far more code than simple "choice" strings that create a fully dynamic and robust AI.

Edited by alanschu, 28 November 2006 - 03:10 PM.

Krookie

Krookie

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3742 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The point is if you buy a 360 you can play some decent games on it.

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The point is if you buy a 360 you can play some decent games on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem is these decent games are mostly vaporware.

Krookie

Krookie

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3742 posts
The problem is, I had to go to "Urban Dictionary" to find out what "Vaporware" was.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
Well, for me personally, the games available for the Xbox 360 stinks. I've already played Oblivion on my PC, and then what? If I want a really good RPG for the Xbox 360, what should I get?

Also, I like good sandbox games (a la GTA). What's there for me to play?

There are plenty of FPS's on the Xbox 360, but only one (of the really good ones, and it's a third person shooter) is Xbox 360 exclusive. Which is good, because I really think shooters are more fun with WASD + mouse anyhow.

The Playstation 3 is in an even worse situation, game wise. But that'll have changed once it's released in Europe sometime next year.

By the way, I thought this was kind of funny:

http://www.1up.com/d...ory?cId=3155480

Wii had the crappiest launch games of the three new ones?! :thumbsup:

Edit: speeling.

Edited by mkreku, 29 November 2006 - 12:10 AM.

kumquatq3

kumquatq3

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3477 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Word is it's PC bound

GRAW, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Hitman: Blood Money

PC, PC, PC

If Gears goes to the PC, the only reason to buy it is Dead Rising

Edited by kumquatq3, 29 November 2006 - 12:15 AM.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
A game system is only as good as the games on it. So far none of the consoles look all that appealing to me.

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts

A game system is only as good as the games on it.  So far none of the consoles look all that appealing to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, tell me about it. I'm sure ME and JE2 will change my mind though. And by that time they'll be down to a pretty nice price. Hopefully.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
And they would play better on the PC aswell, GoW with the 360 controller was just awkward and messy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users