NWN2 Contest

Jorian Drake

The songs are 48MB and the server's a bit slow...it also isn't labeled as a zip file - what is .ace?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It hasn't downloaded yet, so I don't know if it's a problem. :mellow: Was just wondering what it was. I knew of rar and zip and a few others...ace is new to me.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I thought the point of modmaking was because it was fun for the modder, not attention-seeking.

:mellow:

That is correct. It's all about what you think, what you enjoy to do as a modder. Those who seek approval from others or ask for their suggestions isn't going to get very far. They will be too busy trying to please everyone else but themselves. It will turn out to be like a job not a hobby.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Ace is actually one of the best in compressed files. In fact, I think rar and ace have the best rates of compression in the market. At least on Windows.

Zip sucks.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I thought the point of modmaking was because it was fun for the modder, not attention-seeking.

:mellow:

That is correct. It's all about what you think, what you enjoy to do as a modder. Those who seek approval from others or ask for their suggestions isn't going to get very far. They will be too busy trying to please everyone else but themselves. It will turn out to be like a job not a hobby.

Actually the whole story is already created, so if it pleases them or not, its done already.

The question is: will it stay a pnp module, or become a NWN2 one too?

Ace is actually one of the best in compressed files. In fact, I think rar and ace have the best rates of compression in the market. At least on Windows.

Zip sucks.

Exactly.

And here a link to a Winace download site:

http://www.download.com/WinAce/3000-2250_4...tml?tag=lst-0-1

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

I used WinRar to unzip it. Then out of curiosity I used WinZip to recompress the files.

Ace's file = 49,277

WinZips file = 49,278

Seems pretty much the same to me...

Anyway - what are those songs from, Jorian? Did you make them or are they parts of songs/music in your personal collection/from BG soundtrack etc? The instrumental ones are interesting, but the vocal ones are a bit too...well..disco or dance/techno or something for my concepts of a RPG environment.

P.S. Oh and I also tend to think of a "sample" as being shortened clips from songs...these seem to be the whole song. No wonder the file is so big. :mellow:

Edited by LadyCrimson

I used WinRar to unzip it. Then out of curiosity I used WinZip to recompress the files.

Ace's file = 49,277

WinZips file = 49,278

Anyway - what are those songs from, Jorian? Did you make them or are they parts of songs/music in your personal collection? The instrumental ones are interesting, but the vocal ones are a bit too...well..disco or dance/techno or something for my concepts of a RPG environment.

P.S. Oh and I also tend to think of a "sample" as being shortened clips from songs...these seem to be the whole song. No wonder the file is so big. :blink:

I explain mostly on the thread what comes from where :blink:

NOX is a known..well, famous hungarian band here in Hungary, and they allowed me to use their songs , i have the rights for that.

Also they made a song in ENGLISH just for this :mellow: (named NWN2 Edition)

Some are known from former BG games (the battle songs and the main title what i use for the de'Arnise army and Athkatla)

One is from Neuroticfish (I already shared that here on the forums in the 'listening to' thread)

All others are fully unique, specially made for me by MilkMan Dan, a really great artist :) (he shares them all on the net freely)

He is the only artist I know as being nice, talented, and doing work for fun&free if you ask him, and he also likes the idea =)

I owe him much, he's a great friend.

PS: about being full songs. There is one exception, but others are really full songs. I decided this way to have the listeners actually 'flow' with the spirit I want to share with my module, and also becouse i have more than twice (!) more songs, mostly by Dan for the game, so the music of NWN will be 90% changed for the mod, you don't have to listen to too well known ones. (what you know since NWN1)

EDIT: you were right Pop :D

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

Ah...I didn't read that thread entire...I tend to be an impatient internet reader. :mellow:

I like Milkman Dan's Ode to Angels. Pleasant composition.

Edit: @ D_R - lol, that was what I first thought when I saw NOX in the song titles. :D

Edited by LadyCrimson

Uh, you used the word "own" as in, to have possession of. The word you were looking for is "owe", as in indebted to.

*edit - that is, unless you mean "own" in the internet sense, which in most cases is better represented by "pwn". I guess one can "pwn" his friend.

Edited by Pop

Ace's file = 49,277

WinZips file = 49,278

Anyway - what are those songs from, Jorian? Did you make them or are they parts of songs/music in your personal collection/from BG soundtrack etc? The instrumental ones are interesting, but the vocal ones are a bit too...well..disco or dance/techno or something for my concepts of a RPG environment.

P.S. Oh and I also tend to think of a "sample" as being shortened clips from songs...these seem to be the whole song. No wonder the file is so big. :mellow:

It depends on what you're compressing. If you're compressing mp3 files, for example, there won't be much of a difference because mp3 files by themselves are already highly compressed. But try the same thing with, say, MSWord documents, and it will be a lot easier to see the difference.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It depends on what you're compressing. If you're compressing mp3 files, for example, there won't be much of a difference because mp3 files by themselves are already highly compressed. But try the same thing with, say, MSWord documents, and it will be a lot easier to see the difference.

Yeah, that did occur to me after I wrote that.

Well, I've been using Zip forever; It's familiar and still common for the average user to have it on their system; I'll continue to use it until something forces me not to. :D