NWN2: Toolset Creations

Oerwinde

I didn't bake this area. They were naturally walkable. I ahevn't made them non walkable but I preusme the 'make nonwalkable' option isn the toolset will fix that. I just saw while  checking out my moudle I was able to walk right through everything... except ther walls (but, that wa sliklye because they were at the edge of the area anyways).

Bake the area.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Can anyone help me with alignment? I'm trying to make my Half-Celestial racial prestige class good only and can't figure out the alignment patterns. Here are the ones already in the game.

Any Neutral: 0x01 0x3 1

Non-Lawful: 0x02 0x1 0

Any Lawful: 0x05 0x1 0

Non-Good: 0x08 0x2 0

Any Evil: 0x09 0x2 0

Non-Evil: 0x10 0x2 0

Chaotic or Evil: 0x14 0x3 1

LG: 0x15 0x3 0

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I don't see alignment coming into play in any way in race/subrace offhand (a race can be any align or class without scripting it). Though the bit flags you list seem weird, pattern doesn't jump out. For things like spell targeting or metamagic allowed, you assign a number for each possibility (a power of 2) then add together the ones you want to allow.

Say for a spell, silent = 1 (2^0), still = 2 (2^1), empower = 4...

So a spell you can still and silence but not empower would be 0x03 (hex), while one for which you could do all 3 would be 0x07. If the next one is max = 8 and you can do all 4, the value would be 0x0e. (Read a little on bit-wise math if this doesn't make any sense.)

That's why the values look weird to me, but the logic is probably the same as in NWN1--the Custom Content Guide or numerous wikis will have info on what they mean. (Unless it's magic number as opposed to procedural...) Edit: ok in NWN1, it's a big mess as explained at the DLA NWN1 CC wiki

Oh, classes are trickier since you need to define their spells, skills, preferences, feats and so on in different 2das and that gets annoying pretty fast. :ermm:

Edited by Lokey

Just what I needed, another forum to keep up with.

Neversummer PW

Lokey:

" I don't see alignment coming into play in any way in race/subrace offhand"

Celestials are being of goodness. Changing from an aasimar to a half-celestial while shoving grandmas in front of trolleys and kicking puppy-dogs is rather dubious.

"(a race can be any align or class without scripting it)."

I disagree. Elves can't be Dwarven Defenders and Erinyes can't be Chaotic Good. I'm not scripting, however.

" Though the bit flags you list seem weird, pattern doesn't jump out. "

I don't think they're bit flags. I've done some meddling and my list now reads:

Alignment: AlignRestrict: AlignRestrictType: Invert:

All: 0x00 0x0 0

All: 0x08 0x1 0

Lawful or Chaotic: 0x01 0x1 0

Any Good or Evil: 0x01 0x2 0

Any Neutral: 0x01 0x3 1

Non-Lawful: 0x02 0x1 0

Any Lawful: 0x05 0x1 0

Non-Neutral: 0x07 0x2 0

Non-Good: 0x08 0x2 0

Any Evil: 0x09 0x2 0

Non-Evil: 0x10 0x2 0

Any Chaotic or Evil: 0x14 0x3 1

Lawful Good: 0x15 0x3 0

" For things like spell targeting or metamagic allowed, you assign a number for each possibility (a power of 2) then add together the ones you want to allow.

Say for a spell, silent = 1 (2^0), still = 2 (2^1), empower = 4...

So a spell you can still and silence but not empower would be 0x03 (hex), while one for which you could do all 3 would be 0x07. If the next one is max = 8 and you can do all 4, the value would be 0x0e."

Interesting.

" Oh, classes are trickier since you need to define their spells, feats and so on in different 2das, that gets annoying pretty fast."

I've already created a few custom classes. I've just never restricted one by alignment before.

You know, monster/creature blueprints use the racial 2DA files, so overwriting the 2DA entries will affect some creatures in the game. Probably not their appearance, but their lables, descriptions, and what weapons work best against them, for example.

Also, Erinyes as a player character lack wings, which are provided via a blueprint (UTC) file. So the only way I can see getting the whole deal is to have an Erinyes party member who is not the main character. Same for succubi and other special creatures.

So I've decided not to bother trying for extra player character races, since I can't, at the moment, get the full deal. Erinyes look like BDSM human women without wings and glowing eye effects to distinguish them. At any rate, it was fun seeing Daeghun asking his erinyes daughter if she was dressed. :ermm:

It'd be nice if the toolset let us create our own races/subraces; these things never seem to be complete enough.

What I get for drive-by posting. I don't mean that it shouldn't be the case that a sub-race should automatically have any alignment, I didn't see a way to do it through the race/subrace 2da. I didn't mention that you were thinking racial classes.

Also I meant the last for Darque, and so forth. If Marie's changes to the racial 2das make you lose your patience, you don't want to deal with classes, item properties, etc ;):ermm:

Neversummer PW

Wistrick:

" You know, monster/creature blueprints use the racial 2DA files, so overwriting the 2DA entries will affect some creatures in the game. Probably not their appearance, but their lables, descriptions, and what weapons work best against them, for example."

I haven't found that to be the case. Labels and descriptions are the same in my game and the racial 2da files don't have anyway to manipulate how different weapons affect the races.

" Also, Erinyes as a player character lack wings, which are provided via a blueprint (UTC) file. So the only way I can see getting the whole deal is to have an Erinyes party member who is not the main character. Same for succubi and other special creatures."

Sort of like tiefling PCs not having tails and Dragon Disciple PCs never getting wings? Yet, I'm guessing people are still playing tieflings and dragon disciples.

As a player who wanted 'the whole deal' from my PC race, I'd focus on a world that reacted to my selection in a 'realistic' manner and a story in which my choice of race was meaningful. Tails and wings? Not so much.

That said, it is a disappointment. Hopefully, Obsidian will release a patch to correct the problem with tieflings and dds and I can use whatever method they implement for the Erinyes.

" Erinyes look like BDSM human women without wings and glowing eye effects to distinguish them."

That in itself is a vast boon to gameplay. If I'm going to play a game, I'd rather be looking at BDSM human women than Ghylvar the dwarf in his layers of platemail.

" At any rate, it was fun seeing Daeghun asking his erinyes daughter if she was dressed."

Hmm

Edited by Maria Caliban

Lokey:

"What I get for drive-by posting. I don't mean that it shouldn't be the case that a sub-race should automatically have any alignment, I didn't see a way to do it through the race/subrace 2da. I didn't mention that you were thinking racial classes."

Ahhh, yes, I misunderstood.

Also I meant the last for Darque, and so forth. If Marie's changes to the racial 2das make you lose your patience, you don't want to deal with classes, item properties, etc ;):ermm:"

My crashed my NWN2 game about fifty times trying to implement true new races. My "solution" is a bit like using a mallet to pound an unpeeled banana into someone's rectum. Sure, it fits in the end but it ain't pretty.

I'm certain I'll be ready to guillotine Obsidian programmers before I finish with the Half-Celestial racial class.

Fun times.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"Bake the area."

Hehe. is that it? In my practice mod, I baked the area. I thought not baking ana rea meant the character couldn't move art all, and I wanted to see if that's true. I guess the opposite is. Hehe. Cool. Thanks. :ermm:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yay! :thumbsup:

I figured out what I did wrong. :)

Couple of questions....

What was the biology tag for?

Also, the racial feat tag, if I set it to a specific race then those innate feats will go to it? Say... an Erinyes with Drow powers? (for example)

NM :p

I figured it out, I mean biography anyway. :) was tired when I posted that :D

So.... how do we create racial feats? :(

And is that all that's left to make a complete race?

And again, thank you for the tutorial. :) I never would have figured any of that out.

The Biography is a string reference index into DIALOG.TLK. I just copied the one for the human (8163 I believe), which talks about growing up in West Harbor. The toolset apparently won't let us edit TLK strings unless we're working on a module, so just editing 2DA files is apparently not enough. (I could find no way to edit strings.)

There's another racial type reference located in Appearances.2DA, but I'm not sure what it's for. Just to be safe I set it to my new racial type entries, but it had no visible effect that I could see.

I think creating new feat lists is as simple as saving a feat list that's close to what you want, renaming it outside the toolset, and then referring to it in racialtypes/racialsubtypes. Might have to reload the toolset though since it doesn't recognize new/deleted 2DA files dynamically. Or it didn't for me last night. Anyway, same principle would probably work for color settings. Since Erinyes and Succubus weren't intended as player characters, they have simpler/different color attributes.

I didn't do much in the way of modding with NWN, so most of this stuff is new to me. I'll figure it out soon enough though.

The NWN2 toolset while awesome and more powerful than the NWN1 version (as it should be) sure has a weird way of showcasing that power.

Some more examples:

1. I have no idea how to make sure the camera doesn't get fixated on one specific point of the map. Every time I rotate it, it remains focused on the one point no matter making it much harder to zoom in all various areas. And, no, I have no placeables currently selected.

2. It's too bad you can't (or I seem to be missing it) copy placeables/creatures you modified in your area/module/campaign either using the properties page or right clicking it. Youa ctually can only seemingly do so from the toolset list of stuff. Not as convenient, imo.

3. One cool thing is how easy it is to connect modules within a campaign. Really nice.

4. My next big thing to learn is how to get the world map going. That should be fun.

Overall, I like the toolset so don't mind too much if I share criticism. The good stuff is good so no need to whine about it. Heh. :(

1. I have no idea how to make sure the camera doesn't get fixated on one specific point of the map. Every time I rotate it, it remains focused on the one point no matter making it much harder to zoom in all various areas. And, no, I have no placeables currently selected.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here. I mean, in order to rotate, you'll need to have a point to rotate around. Are you saying you cannot change where that point is?

The biggest issue I have had so far (which isn't too much. Stupid life has interferred with my toolset work) is the undo implementation.

The NWN2 toolset while awesome and more powerful than the NWN1 version (as it should be) sure has a weird way of showcasing that power.

Some more examples:

Same as NWN1. What's new is you can control the height of the point the camera rotates around: ctrl + shift + left click + drag.

2. It's too bad you can't (or I seem to be missing it) copy placeables/creatures you modified in your area/module/campaign either using the properties page or right clicking it. Youa ctually can only seemingly do so from the toolset list of stuff.  Not as convenient, imo.

ctrl + c, ctrl + v. At least it works for me.

World map isn't that bad to use...icons you use for click spots need to be in your campaign folder as is the image you use for a background. See the OC's campaign.

Neversummer PW

"Bake the area."

Hehe. is that it? In my practice mod, I baked the area. I thought not baking ana rea meant the character couldn't move art all, and I wanted to see if that's true. I guess the opposite is. Hehe. Cool. Thanks. :)

Hehe.

I want to see the area you made. Give me pictures, damnit! :wub:

Okay guys, it's time to download a .tlk editor. Click here

You'll need to update your browsers to Java 5. Copy the dialog.tlk from your instal fill to My Documents/Neverwinter Nights and open it up with that editor.

The majority of string references (references to names, discriptions, etc) are listed in there. You can add new ones (what I'd recommend) or edit the old ones.

Edited by Maria Caliban

There's a directory in My Documents/Neverwinter Nights called tlk. It's supposed (I believe) be the place where you store custom.tlk but it doesn't work right now :wub:

If anyone knows differently, please let me know as I'd rather not deal with dialog.tlk anymore.

"Are you saying you cannot change where that point is?"

Yes.

"The biggest issue I have had so far (which isn't too much. Stupid life has interferred with my toolset work) is the undo implementation."

I had the same problem, however just use delete (keyboard). Select the object you want,a nd then press delete. Works like a charm.

"Same as NWN1. What's new is you can control the height of the point the camera rotates around: ctrl + shift + left click + drag."

Same? Think not. I was able to change the the specifc area the camera angled around much easier. Without thinking aboiut it much, actually. Thanks for the extra tip though it sounds kinda of wasteful taking 4 buttons to do it.

"ctrl + c, ctrl + v. At least it works for me."

Cool. I'll try it. :)

"I want to see the area you made. Give me pictures, damnit!"

Ok. But, not really fancy. It's just a walled town (well.. closer to a village since there's like 8 buildings). Not much of note. But, ok. :wub:

Edited by Volourn

I had the same problem, however just use delete (keyboard). Select the object you want,a nd then press delete. Works like a charm.

I don't have a problem deleting stuff. I have a problem with undoing stuff. Like the fact that some stuff is not undoable.

Thanks for the link Maria. I'm already updated on Java thanks to using Near Infinity for several years. I'll see how this TLK editor works tonight. Too bad Obsidian didn't include one in their toolset, or at least provide the option to right-click on a strref in a 2DA file and be able to view/edit the string in a separate dialog box.