Sorceror vs. Wizard in NWN2

Well, in my PnP campaign I do have firearms in it. From spyglass rifles, dragon pistols, and hellsbreath rifles, and the such. It all works well in DnD format. Ptolus is a damn good setting. I would love to play a dual pistol shooting wizard, mixing in both technology and magic. That is one of the main drawbacks of standard DnD. It just doesn't take in account that technology, even if powered by magic, advances.

Hellsbreath rifles are pretty cool. It is basically a flame thrower that uses alchemist's fire as the ammunition.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Blesch! Fantasy crossovers make me cringe. When I want a gun(which is 95% of the time) I just want a.. big.. friggin GUN. No magical arcane peashooters, just an old .45 and a pocket full of bullets :D

Unfortunantly, everyone here who play PnP are fantasy nerds :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Hrm.

See what good all my positive postings about the WoD does me. While my group DOES play fantasy on occasion (Exalted), we play more in other genres.

It's you who keep bringing up horrid D&D or Eon campaigns all the time. :)

Elven Battle Mage, here I come.  :cool:

Just don't forget he/she is still a mage, ergo get some distance from the enemy, and if its truly needed, you can get more...personal.

If so, use this combo (my favorite) true strike-hit-true strike-hit (and start again till the requested effect on the enemy -death- is recieved)

This build is same as others till lvl 10-13, but then it suddenly increases in effeciency atleast 225%

PS: don't forget that some armor modifiers doesn't stack, so you can use with the magic armor other rings (like regeneration) and capes (like the Nymph one)

Also, with the always increasing Charisma it simulates the developement of the 'Aura of power and influence' the character has around him.

(yeah, i am a real pnp player :p )

Blesch! Fantasy crossovers make me cringe. When I want a gun(which is 95% of the time) I just want a.. big.. friggin GUN. No magical arcane peashooters, just an old .45 and a pocket full of bullets :D

Unfortunantly, everyone here who play PnP are fantasy nerds :(

not true, i like all styles, mixed or not, but i prefer the 3.5 dnd above the others, and this after knowing the other ones.

if i want technology i play the new world of darkness with simple humans (and no vampires and such)

if i want fantasy i play so many different worlds i cant even list all of them (but favorite is FR)

and there is my main favorite: mix 'em! :p

I love to make STARMAGE, where technology and magic BOTH evolve

(this is a d20 based world where Earth gets magical powers in exactly 1000AD, but history did not fully change...some things i think had to happen)

PS: i suggest for those between you who play high-magic campaigns that the player has the possibility not to get new spells, but to increase effects of an already existing one.

Here a sample, Magic missle

lvl1 MM: damage 1d4+1 possible multiple missles and targets

lvl2 MM: damage increase 1d6+1

lvl3 MM: missle damage 1d8+2, possible to activate together with other spell at the same time (use both spells up), lets say energy ones (use up fireball and lvl3 MM, and you get a 2D8+2 missle damage[fire] and all of the missles make a small area damage too like fireball [5 or 10 feet])

lvl4 MM: missle number max. deleted

lvl5 MM: from now on only hightened Shield can affect it

(not the normal lvl1 one, but the modified missles still can be 'defeated' with appropiate antimagics/counter/resistances)

Ect.

So you can have a basic spell improved like a gun, and if you have a magical rifle, you can improve both the rifle and its enchantment :)

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

I think it makes good gaming options for the players. I even have Golemtech and Necrotech available if the players went that route. Mystical cybernetics FTW! In the campaign one of the big bads is a sorcerer who uses chaositech. A blending of technology and magic based on chaos magics and corruption. Nasty lil' dark elf to boot.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Iron Kingdoms is a cool setting. Far more fun than the basic FR fanfare.

I think that neither d20 nor WW's "dot" system lends itself very well to fun and tactical firearm combat. Theyre too abstract and nonspecific, you need to be able to use complex tactics ....and shoot people in the face :("

My own system is awesome for gun combat, complex yet not "Phoenix Command" complex

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If I wanted guns/technology I would stick to WoD. If I want fantasy with out that stuff, I will play D&D. I don't like guns or technology in D&D.

gnomes

dwarves

ancient or forgotten cultures

and if you want that the world truly evolves and doesn't stuck in time then atleast these are some of the things that will increase the technology

What i don't like that it seems it gets fashion that if tech increases magic has to become less powerfull...how silly :(

IB1OsQq.png

My thoughts exactly, Jorian. In my view there could easily be a merger of magic and technology if both exists and both could augment each other positively. Technomages would be cool.

Actually all three have some sort of technology.

I'm not sure about the FR, but I think the gnomes of one god can make steamtech.

In dragonlance you've got tinkergnomes

And in Ravenloft, some areas are as high as the renaissance of earth.

:("

And Renaissance Earth had guns.

My thoughts exactly, Jorian.  In my view there could easily be a merger of magic and technology if both exists and both could augment each other positively.  Technomages would be cool.

of course the 2 would slow a bit down the rechearch of the other one, but not so badly, i guess we would have now after-ww2 jets and very costly teleportation magic at the same time :) (mages would be rich)

I also like to have mages on focus something:

Necromancy and such are already in the basic d20 as specializations, but i also like to add

-time mages

-elementalists

-STARMAGE-s (users of high-magic, powered by the raw energy of stars/suns)

What I create based on Earth and FR is not just one planet, I create with my friends a whole galaxy, with different cultures/races, some known, some new.

psionics-magic-technology are all there and sometimes on different evolutional steps

PS: I know it seems a bit chaotic on reading it 1st, but its simply hard to translate the soul of the idea without playing it

PS: starmages are rare, they can be the only mages who actually create and not destroy...only they usually more like to destroy and not to build with the raw energy of solar systems, my whole campaign world is named after them becouse they are known, have some key roles in the history...and becouse they can destroy a whole system in an eye blink if they want to, or if they can't controll their own power

PS2: about time mages, imagine rogue mages and tech-time cops chasing them, lots of fun trough histoy/alternate history :p

Eh?  :)

You keep your cute little settings and I will stick to mine. FR, Dragonlance, Ravenloft = no technology.

And what the heck are gnomes by you doing in Dragonlance?

Open chinese restaurants? :)

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

Well, in my PnP campaign I do have firearms in it.  From spyglass rifles, dragon pistols, and hellsbreath rifles, and the such.  It all works well in DnD format.  Ptolus is a damn good setting.  I would love to play a dual pistol shooting wizard, mixing in both technology and magic.  That is one of the main drawbacks of standard DnD.  It just doesn't take in account that technology, even if powered by magic, advances.

Hellsbreath rifles are pretty cool.  It is basically a flame thrower that uses alchemist's fire as the ammunition.

Actually, that sounds pretty neat.

and if you want that the world truly evolves and doesn't stuck in time then atleast these are some of the things that will increase the technology

What i don't like that it seems it gets fashion that if tech increases magic has to become less powerfull...how silly  :)

The problem is that magic creates matter (and energy) out of nothing (from another plane, presumeably) ... there needs to be some sort of balance added: a "game economics balancer", to make magic and magic-users rare in inverse proportion to their power.

I think that neither d20 nor WW's "dot" system lends itself very well to fun and tactical firearm combat. Theyre too abstract and nonspecific, you need to be able to use complex tactics ....and shoot people in the face :)"

My own system is awesome for gun combat, complex yet not "Phoenix Command" complex

* waits for more details, looking menacing *

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

What i don't like that it seems it gets fashion that if tech increases magic has to become less powerfull...how silly  :)

The problem is that magic creates matter (and energy) out of nothing (from another plane, presumeably) ... there needs to be some sort of balance added: a "game economics balancer", to make magic and magic-users rare in inverse proportion to their power.

some are born with it, or lcan learn it, those who not either hunt them or hire them.

PS: and i use balance, they do use energy, nothing is from nothing

Raw magical or psionical energy is 'Mana', and Gods only 'refine' raw Mana,thus clerics also use the same. If you like it that way, lets name it 'The Force', its in all living and non-living things, but some are gifted to use it in a way the majority can't.

PS2: no need to downgrade mages, there are machineguns and plasmabombs (not to mention space ships), they have that much power that they have some hope of surviving such battles :)

PS3: oh, forgot to mention i included card magic too, similar to the one in Septerra Core :D (users: Card Mage-s)

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

Elven Battle Mage, here I come.  :cool:

Just don't forget he/she is still a mage, ergo get some distance from the enemy, and if its truly needed, you can get more...personal.

If so, use this combo (my favorite) true strike-hit-true strike-hit (and start again till the requested effect on the enemy -death- is recieved)

This build is same as others till lvl 10-13, but then it suddenly increases in effeciency atleast 225%

PS: don't forget that some armor modifiers doesn't stack, so you can use with the magic armor other rings (like regeneration) and capes (like the Nymph one)

Also, with the always increasing Charisma it simulates the developement of the 'Aura of power and influence' the character has around him.

(yeah, i am a real pnp player :) )

This build seem freakin' genius, Jorian. It has high AC (from armor), high AB (from true strike), high spell potency (from char), high level spells (from non-multi classing)...and most of all SHINY armor and bling-bling sword weps!! :-

manthing2.jpg

Unfortunantly, everyone here who play PnP are fantasy nerds :(

Sounds like you need some Mage in your life dogg.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP