IGN TOP 100

Volourn

By the way, Wasteland better be among the last top 20. Or I'm going to have to.. uh.. send very mean emails to the IGN offices!!1!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I tried that game once. I died in the first 20 minutes from creatures, radiation poisoning, lack of food, lack of sleep (?) and whatnot. :wub:

Need to try it again sometime.

Well, Fallout and PS:T also have the disadvantage of not being particularly popular.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Deus Ex in the top 10 though. Given that it's the Reader's Picks though, I'm not really all that surprised.

Edited by alanschu

Each person has their tastes in games and I for one do not need a list of "top games" to validate what I like or dislike in computer gaming. I like Doom 3, Half Life 2, and Call of Duty. I like Neverwinter Nights, Fallout 1, and Baldur's Gate. It doesn't matter if they are on the list or not, it won't change my view of them.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I guess. Where does X Com rank?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Suikoden II is not, in any way better than Grim Fandango.

The story is of Squaresoft quality.

I didn't finish it, but is it that bad?

*waits for Oerwinde*

The only console RPG that rivals Suikoden II for story is Xenogears.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ok, that was the crappiest list EVER (they're all revealed now). Of the top ten games listed, ALL ten were console crap. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the oldest game in that list is the number one game also: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. From 1998!

I hate kids. Console kids.

Edit: Oops. It was almost the newest game on the top ten.. Oh well, still console crap :()

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

no fallout... no deus ex... no PS:T... no baldurs gate...

i'm really not liking the looks of this list so far :(

A list based on reader's responses (as opposed to game writers' or designers') will always have the following characteristics:

Rankings correlate well with sales (since people only vote for games they bought)

More recent games do much better than older games (younger kids have only played newer games)

Big studio, major-name releases will dominate the rankings (both because of the sales factor, and the hype factor)

Which explains the five football games.

My favorite quirk of this type of polling, though, is that if you compile a list of "best games" and "worst games", there'll be a ton of overlap. For the simple reason that, of the 10,000,000 people who bought World of Warcraft, 1% probably hated it. That makes 100,000 that will vote against it is more than ever bough "SimCow: The Bovine Expierence."

If the list has no standard by which it measures the quality of the games, it has no value. Standards are necessary to make a list that is even remotely considerable. If the list is compiled via simple reader contributions, it has no value, it is arbitrary opinion. If they said Ocarina of Time is the best game ever because of superior sound mixing, narrative focus and clarity, etc., it would be more reasonable and acceptable, but even then the standards are subjective.

The best way to do it would be to have pass-fail tests of quality. Does the plot follow a logical conclusion? Are there any game-crashing bugs? Does the main character blink? Are all aspects of the game necessary to its purpose (that is, is there a sudoku puzzle that you have to solve out there in the middle of a Doom-style shoot-em-up?) Relatively hard-to-dispute facts such as that. But then, taking into account every game ever made, a hierarchal order is just not feasible.

Disregard this list, ye reasonable gaming fans!

Come on, people. It's just another way to discuss games, and differing opinions. It's not the end of the world just ebcause x game didn't get listed or y game was unfairly put ahead of x game.

P.S. JE > KOTOR

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Come on, people. It's just another way to discuss games, and differing opinions. It's not the end of the world just ebcause x game didn't get listed or y game was unfairly put ahead of x game.

P.S. JE > KOTOR

Of course it's the end of the world. It's the end of good taste. R00fles!

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.