Programming N00B!11

Blank

As long as no-one suggests Modula-2. :)

Oberon was mandatory at the University :(

I seriously think, that even lisp was more entertaining...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I couldn't even go out and say "I know C" to anyone, though, really - but even then, it was obvious that if you're willing to stick it out and go thorugh the hellish bug-checking and trial & error, try to understand how everything works and fiddle, it's not too difficult.

I remember myself learning C++ in high school and then being unable to implement something more or less substantial using it. It is better to start with C/C++ after you know some fundamentals of computer architecture. After that things make much more sense and debugging is not that hard too.

Heh, how often are UML diagrams actually used in industry?

Dont know about the coding but I plan to use my UML-type program to plan NWN2 modules. It will be great for seeing how every area in the module is tied together :wub:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The bad thing with UML diagrams is they tend to more be a reflection of the code base, rather than any significant planning (IMO anyways).

I update my UML as I realize I had to do changes to it, because I didn't forsee all the things I would have to do when conceptualizing a program.

The bad thing with UML diagrams is they tend to more be a reflection of the code base, rather than any significant planning (IMO anyways).

I update my UML as I realize I had to do changes to it, because I didn't forsee all the things I would have to do when conceptualizing a program.

Same goes with any abstract model - there are always some implementation quirks.

And also, experience often affects how big are the changes that you have to make.

Edited by Diamond

If it was sarcasm, please disregard the following reply. :-

"ONLY SERVES TO SPEED UP DEVELOPMENT"

Of course it is. But sometimes you have to change your model, because you haven't constructed the model correctly due to inexperience in the domain of application and/or your implementation framework has a very different philosophy as compared to your model.

What Ive found to be bothersome about programming is that you need to be so awfully clever. As you all may know, I had my brain replaced with a monkey due to an accident and since then I ..you know the rest.

Woe betide the evil source code, Brother Kaft. Fortunately, the mathematical aspects becomes vastly more manageable with the right type of calculator.

manthing2.jpg

What Ive found to be bothersome about programming is that you need to be so awfully clever. As you all may know, I had my brain replaced with a monkey due to an accident and since then I ..you know the rest.

I think it depends on what kind of programming you are doing. If you are writing a graphical rendering engine for a FPS, I would say it would help to be a math wiz.

If you are writing, shall we say, "light business apps", such as a knowledge base or inventory tracking system, then I think math skills are less important. You still need to be very clever, though, but in a more artistic way. You need to convince the end user that your program really is going to be better for him than that Excel spreadsheet that he has tweaked up. The program needs to be very intuitive and "smooth" in operation.

Most light business programming projects fail, not because they don't do what they were meant to do in the strictest sense, but because they just aren't very intuitive in operation.

If it was sarcasm, please disregard the following reply. :wub:

"ONLY SERVES TO SPEED UP DEVELOPMENT"

Of course it is. But sometimes you have to change your model, because you haven't constructed the model correctly due to inexperience in the domain of application and/or your implementation framework has a very different philosophy as compared to your model.

It was sarcasam.

Yeah you have to change models all teh time, simple fact, it's there for that reason - so you can change the model and thus have an implementation model, it's quicker on the whole than walking blind.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I think it depends on what kind of programming you are doing. If you are writing a graphical rendering engine for a FPS, I would say it would help to be a math wiz.

It's easier than you'd think.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me