EA for the win

LostStraw

Err...soft drink/small arms company owning the police force of the city?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

If the game is set in a 20th century world, or anything more recent than that, I would say not having advertising present detracts from the realism. Wouldn't it add to the immersion in a game set in middle America in the mid-50s to have a huge Burma Shave billboard out on some desolate highway, or a Mail Pouch tobacco ad painted on a barn? Not that that is actually a popular setting for a game, but...

I've been playing MVP Baseball 2005 lately, an EA game, and they've got the atmosphere of the different stadiums down real well. A lot of that atmosphere, in sports, has become based on the advertising. Would it really be AT&T ballpark in San Francisco without that 80-foot Coca-Cola bottle?

Sports games are one thing, but ads in other games can be beneficial to the environment, too. I mean, we've had soda machines in games for years now. Is it that bad to have the "real thing" there?* It can be done tastefully. If it's not, then it could ruin a game, that's true (like those screenshots upthread. Deuce Bigalow?). But I think this has the possibility to be a win-win for gamers and developers.

*Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

EA is awesome! Today, I'm gonna pick up Madden and NHL 2007 (even though I have my doubts abnout NHL 2007 though I'm getting it for 'free' by giving up 3 old games).

And, oh, Madden 2007 has sold 2 million copies in a week's time! WOWSERS!

GO EA GO!

On topic: In game advertising doesn't bother me unless it's overly intrusive.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Err...soft drink/small arms company owning the police force of the city?

What GAME? (Doofus)

The Longest Journey! Dumbell

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

GO EA GO!

Yeah I read that too. Kudos to EA. The best part's they have a new one each year.

I bet Obsidz would love to sell 2 mil in NWN2's first week.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Of course, it should be noted, that Madden can be bought on pretty much every gaming machine avialable. I saw one sales track where Madden 2007 has places #1 through #7 locked up. Impressive.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Of course, it should be noted, that Madden can be bought on pretty much every gaming machine avialable. I saw one sales track where Madden 2007 has places #1 through #7 locked up. Impressive.

So, with all the cash that's rolling in from their sports games -- wouldn't that mean they're adding ads for extra pork instead of suplementing developement costs?

EA is awesome! Today, I'm gonna pick up Madden and NHL 2007 (even though I have my doubts abnout NHL 2007 though I'm getting it for 'free' by giving up 3 old games).

GO EA GO!

On topic: In game advertising doesn't bother me unless it's overly intrusive.

Yeah, but when did they last make a decent CRPG?

I think the closest they came is the LOTR movie-games, which were hack-n-slash all the way. But as you gained experience you could "buy" new combo attacks. That's pretty much what you're looking for, right Hades?

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/lotrwhitec...tml?sid=6154009

EA announced The Lord of the Rings, The White Council just prior to its summer press event, but the company gave us our first look at this role-playing game at the event itself. The White Council is set approximately 80 years before the War of the Ring seen in Peter Jackson's movies, so this frees up the narrative. The designers no longer have to worry about tying the gameplay into the familiar story, so that means that players will be able to create their own characters and tell their own stories in Middle-earth.