The Music Thread - Currently Listening To

Baley

Before I go on typing, I gotta warn you, my head's a mess, I'll just blame all subsequent linguistic errors on the Midday heat. Anyway, I don't disagree with a lot of that, but I gotta say, man, I've always enjoyed Crime Literature|Film|Music. There are a few rappers I listen to solely because of their delivery, Brotha Lynch Hung's one (he's a shock rapper, a good one, I guess, sometimes funny, sometimes tedious, great flow though, I could listen to it for hours), Snoop was one (hasn't released a good album in over 10 years, Doggystyle's one of the great party albums, I can keep on listening to it, easily, sometimes without even hearing or caring for the lyrics), E-40 (I'm not entirely sure about his latest, and his teaming-up with Lil Jon has gotta stop, his flow, on the other hand, is basically insane, really, I don't mean the hip-hop "insane" but that's good too), Chubb Rock? Guru? Biggie?

I've always believed that beneath all the posturing Tupac had moments of absolute, genuine honesty. Dude definitely had a lot of filler though. At his best he was the most intense rapper on Earth (Overestimation, sic), thing is, he so often devolved into meaningless drivel and simplistic rhymes.

Frankly, I find a lot of Gansta Rap funny (intentionally or unintentionally so). I like that.

cage - grand ol' party crash (feat jello biafra)

The one produced by DJ Shadow, eh? Now that's a team-up. I'm thinking I rather like his delivery, especially compared to most Indie rappers these days. (Cage, I mean.)

e38208qhctt.jpg

+

d115758jy5g.jpg

And maybe,

c900063v4mq.jpg

But I'm not exactly in the mood.

Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness

Neamtheanga, eh?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

yeah cage is sweet, agent orange is a classic. one of the eeriest beats ever.

i enjoy crime movies/literature too, but for some reason gansta rap just turns me off. there are of course some exceptions to this :)

np: kraftwerk - computer love "computer world"

i'm still shocked that coldplay blatandly ripped kraftwerk off. and theres been no mention of it anywhere.

Edited by Lare Kikkeli

Maybe it's because most rappers today can't weave a good tale for [....] Off the top of my head, I can only think of two MCs who've done it well, Raekwon and Kool G Rap (maybe Scarface too), and these bastards practically invented it (Mafioso Rap). Sure, you've got a lot of guys like Biggie (personally, I think he suffered from the same "ailment" as Tupac, he just wasn't as good) and Jay-Z, they've got good delivery, but they look and sound as genuine as Cher after her 5th massive doc-tush-combo-surgery. I kid|exaggerate, sure, but I'd like to think there's a point to it all, and that goes something like this, while dudes like Jay make for good rappers, they make for pretty lousy "mafiosos".

Ani DiFranca - Willing to Fight.

I know. I'll try finding something more masculine, I swear.

How about,

B00006GO9E.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65930677_.jpg

Johnny Cash Sings The Ballads of the True West?

(Manly enough?)

I think it'll do.

Edited by Baley

Yeah, but he sure does one great rendition of Sam Hall on that record. And, I mean, really can anything be more masculine than that album cover?

Johnny Cash - The Streets of Loredo.

Edited by Baley

Mustaches are manly, that much is true.

So are these recordings from the 70s? Because I know he did "Sam Hall" and "The Streets of Laredo" on American IV just a few years ago. I didn't realize they were songs he had recorded previously, and I never read a review mentioning it either.

Warren Zevon - The French Inhaler

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

It's more than just the moustache, man, it's the western theme and the big black gun. Now, I know what Freud would say, and he'd probably be right. 1965, got reissued in 2002. It's pretty good, some great songs, some filler, you know, the usual. I'm feeling like watching OUATITW or perhaps The Wild Bunch. High Noon? The Great Silence? Decisions, Decisions.

Johnny Cash - Mean As Hell.

Edited by Baley

Ah cool. It will probably be tough to find, but I'll keep an eye out. It would be interesting to compare those two songs 1965 versions with the ones Cash recorded 40 years later on one of his last albums.

Billy Bragg and Wilco - The Unwelcome Guest

Breaking Benjamin - The Diary of Jane

(w00t)

Breaking Benjamin - Had Enough

You had to have it all

Well have you had enough?

You greedy little bastard

You will get what you deserve

When all is said and done

I will be the one

To leave you in your misery

And hate what you've become

I love this album. :huh:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Sam Hall's pretty different, he plays the role drunk|psychotic. Closer to drunk, really, yeah, I definitely prefer it to the AIV version. I looked for it on youtube, found the newer version mixed this Anime flick, Naruto something.

Johnny Cash - 25 Minutes To Go.

I remember a song called "Chem 6A" by Switchfoot. I had some friends in high school that were in a Christian rock band (in which I briefly played rhythm guitar). They were all big Switchfoot fans.

That one you linked is a pretty good one too.

Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

(Neil Young cover)

You're actually, you know, admitting to have had played Guitar in a Christian Rock band? I know, briefly, but dude! Dude! Was it at least the good kind of Christ-related band, like 16 Horsepower or, uh, uh, yeah.

The Jesus Lizard - Pastoral.

No it was not the "good" kind of Christian rock band. They played gigs in churches, for Christ's sake!*

My only defense is that it was a small school, and these guys were the only people talented enough to form a rock band. It just so happened that they were really into God and all that jazz.

Blues Traveler - But Anyway

*pun INtended. My favorite thing about that joke is that you can remove the comma from that sentence and it's still true and even funnier!

Now, now, let's not get carried away. Good Christian Rock is most likely an oxymoron. I've yet to hear a borderline decent band that labels itself Christian, for whatever reasons.

Of course, and most obviously, I'm trying to be a bastard. Singing about one's religious beliefs has produced a great deal of fantastic music (from Bach to A Love Supreme to Brand Nubian to Cash). That said, contemporary Christian music is all too often icky, gross and boring.

Frankly, I'm sure we can all|both bask in the glory of,

16 Horsepower - Haw.