Buying furniture

Walsingham

I guess I was the only one who read the title as "Burning furnace"?

Yes. Try to get some sleep. =]

The only furniture with a use-by date, or is MFI still operating?

Psychologically I find it's important to have one room that looks like a proper room, with all the furniture in place, rugs on the floor, pictures on the wall and so on. Every other room in the house can stay empty or a mess for months and I don't mind. To be honest, I prefer sitting cross-legged and sleeping on a futon, but I guess living in Japan will do that to you. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Recently, I've been on the other end of this-- disposing of old furniture. I just moved from a small town to the DC area (Arlington), and, dispite paying over twice the rent on the old place, the new place is about 30% smaller. Luckily, the local thrift store came to pick up a truckload of the older stuff we didn't want. A station-wagon-load also went to my parents' basement.

We still have been unable to find some proper shelving for one of the closets, though...

As a Swede, I have the following advice regarding IKEA; they make cheap rubbish.

Do not buy from IKEA:

-Chairs

-Lamps

-Tables

-Anything that will be used/sat upon

Ok to buy:

-Cupboards

-Cabinets

-Closets

IKEA stuff is ok for things you just use to store stuff in and that can be painted or otherwise covered up to hide the cheap masonite+fan

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I remember when futons first became a 'rage'. I wanted one, they seemed useful and cool. Then I realized how uncomfortable most of them are to actually sit or lie on. Occasionally there's one that's cool, but most of them are awful.

Tho still better than the average sofabed.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I remember when futons first became a 'rage'. I wanted one, they seemed useful and cool. Then I realized how uncomfortable most of them are to actually sit or lie on. Occasionally there's one that's cool, but most of them are awful.

Tho still better than the average sofabed.

You need to rotate and bash the matress contents weekly, or it hardens into a compound of similar consistency to concrete. This is made all the more difficult because the mattress is not in any way portable, so the man

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

again BEANBAGS! LOTS AND LOTS OF BEANBAGS!

BEANBAG FIGHTS!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

This is probaly going to sound pretty weird, but once a girl showed me how good it feels to unzip the bean bag and put your bare feet inside. I was skeptical at first, but it was true.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

You'll never get laid with beanbags, Calax. ;)

you never know meta... you never know.

That's the spirit, you are different, and everyone else is wrong. :D

This is probaly going to sound pretty weird, but once a girl showed me how good it feels to unzip the bean bag and put your bare feet inside. I was skeptical at first, but it was true.

You're right, it does sound weird. I hope your feet were clean. >_<

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You're right, it does sound weird. I hope your feet were clean. >_<

Of course, you'd want to be invited back to stick your feet into some of her other belongings, right?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Futons are amazing, if you get a good quality one of course. They're comfortable and good for your back, plus if you have proper cupboard space you can roll them up and put them away overnight, clearing up lots of space for other things.

I miss my futon. Sometimes I put my mattress on the floor, but it's just not the same. ;)

I completely agree with the foot-in-beanbag experience. Great fun! >_<

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Obsidian would like to make it clear that the company does not suport any of the above expressed Foot fetish-es/-ists, and does not recommend the pursuit of such when using computer technology.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have to say I find sleeping on a futon worse than sleeping on the floor. I have no idea how that works. Mind you, I do like the floor, so it may not be fair. I'm only buying a big comfy bed for the sake of my girlfriend.

Speaking of furniture I'm considering getting a big PC monitor (about 22-24 inches) and using that through my new PC as a TV. But I don't know how I work out which ones will be visible from several angles. I do know I need high resolution to play games as well.

I'm trying to choose between:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pcrange.html?NFO

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pcrange.html?EXE

As the base PC.

EDIT:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?VIE-VX2235

This monitor looks pretty sweet as a viewer/TV combo. Can anyone spot any problems?

Please note that if you help me buy this shiny new PC then I can actually play some of the games Obsidian make! Rather than the creaky old Blackisle games.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That one is widescreen, isn't it?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.