Diabetes thread

Fenghuang

I'm scared I might have diabetes. But beinga  responsible adult I'm simply staying as far away from the doctor as I can.

I secretly cut out a lot of soft drinks, and tried to eat more healthily and get exercise.

I will try not to scare you Wally...

If your pancreas is genetically built to fail it will, no matter how you eat or the amount of exercise you do.

However when it does, if you already have good living habits it will be a cakewalk for most of your remaining life(it gets harder toward the end because of the complications diabetes brings when dealing with other health problems).

walsingham, i'm assuming you're old enough to not have to worry about type-1. type-2 can be staved off, but probably not indefinitely. if you know someone that has diabetes, have them check your blood an hour after eating (easy to do). if it is over 170 or so, go to a doctor for a formal test.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

You know society failed somewhere when you have little 12-yr olds with DM2 showing up in your office :lol:

Actually I'd blame site security.

On the subject of DB, I was thinking this morning that if the problem is sugar crystallising in your capillaries surely you could go for a steam bath and the stuff would dissolve back into your blood. Provided you were drinking the right amounts of water you could excrete it/burn it off?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You know society failed somewhere when you have little 12-yr olds with DM2 showing up in your office :lol:

Actually I'd blame site security.

On the subject of DB, I was thinking this morning that if the problem is sugar crystallising in your capillaries surely you could go for a steam bath and the stuff would dissolve back into your blood. Provided you were drinking the right amounts of water you could excrete it/burn it off?

Water is essential for sure. Docs recommend 8 tall glasses a day(about 8x 750ml?) allowing a diabetic to pee out a lot of excess glucose. It also helps the kidneys.

As for the steambath, it's an interesting theory. I'm guessing it would have to be very hot for a while because, as I understood it, crystalized glucose is like rock?

yeah, i doubt raising your temp to a bit over 100 (102 or 103 is probably the maximum "safe" temperature for adults) is sufficient to dissolve sugar crystals.

taks

btw, one of the primary reasons more and more people are being diagnosed with type-2 is simply awareness. this happens with any "new disease" on the scene.

taks

btw, one of the primary reasons more and more people are being diagnosed with type-2 is simply awareness.  this happens with any "new disease" on the scene.

taks

I can just picture it now:

Joe Shmo: "Honey, can you poor me a nice cool glass of my pee please?"

Honey Shmo: "Of course smooshypoo"

Joe Shmo: "Slurp, hmm... Slurp, slurp... Oh my goodness this is soo sweet!"

Honey Shmo: "Oh Noes! Shmooshy you're diabetic!"

Joe Shmo: "Noooooo! Thats unpossible!"

The End.

That's ...ew...

I don't think it needs to be 100 degrees to dissolve sugar! :) You can dissolve sugar in simple warm tea. And I'm fairly sure you can do it cold water. I just haven't any in my office.

EDIT: It has to be soluble at body temperature because it is damn well dissolved in your blood to get out to your extremities in the first place!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That's ...ew...

I don't think it needs to be 100 degrees to dissolve sugar!  :lol:  You can dissolve sugar in simple warm tea. And I'm fairly sure you can do it cold water. I just haven't any in my office.

EDIT: It has to be soluble at body temperature because it is damn well dissolved in your blood to get out to your extremities in the first place!

If glucose(not sugar) could be dissolved with warm water or even body temperature, there wouldn't be clogs in the extremities now would there?

By the way, it is often forgotten but variations in glucose levels also affect the mood. It seems to increase emotional response.

Many times a week I find myself enraged at the simplest of things or sometimes it is very hard not to cry for things as stupid as a movie with dogs in it(if you like dogs. It's an example!) I was not like that before.

From what I've experienced I wouldn't be surprised if many road rage incidents were the result of a diabetic reaction in someone.

I thought glucose had a lower soluble temp than regular sugar. And my guess would be that it clogging your extremities is due to their havinga lower than normal temp anyway, which becomes exacerbated by reduced circulation from teh clogs. But I'm only guessing here. :blink:

-Elwood Blues

I don't trust doctors. But anyway, diabetes doesn't just affect the extremeties. It potentially screws up your organs too. I think the high blood sugar also harms the eyes. Lots of diabetics get amputations and can't see.

This is such a depressing subject.

I don't trust doctors. But anyway, diabetes doesn't just affect the extremeties. It potentially screws up your organs too. I think the high blood sugar also harms the eyes. Lots of diabetics get amputations and can't see.

This is such a depressing subject.

Capilaries get clogged with hardened glucose, resulting in loss of function. What is most vulnerable to that are the extremities, kidneys and eyes because they have more capilaries.

To avoid this, the best ways are exercise, water and low/no fat foods to let the blood circulation do its job.

Why is it depressing?

Yup. We're all gonna die. I find the only way to properly cope with this is to face it head on.

-Elwood Blues

Lots of diabetics get amputations and can't see.

many that have these problems are semi-sort of "old school" in that they got diabetes before truly proper management existed. younger diabetics, those diagnosed probably in the last 20-30 years, are not nearly as likely to suffer such maladies due to better treatment. advances in insulin as well as a better understanding of the effects of diabetes on the system have aided in these improvements.

a good example is the insulin pump, which my wife is on. low/high blood sugar events are minimized as a result of a constant background (basal rate) level of insulin. for those not on the pump, they have long-acting insulin which stays in the blood stream in sort of a time-release fashion. neither of these were available 50 years ago.

taks

Can I develop diabetes without having anything hereditary in my genes to do so? I'm starting to get just a wee bit worried that I may have or may get diabetes even though no relative of mine has it. I'm a hypochondriac since only recently, so I suppose that's one of the main reasons why I worry. When I try to be rational I figure it's nothing, but you never know.

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

Can I develop diabetes without having anything hereditary in my genes to do so? I'm starting to get just a wee bit worried that I may have or may get diabetes even though no relative of mine has it. I'm a hypochondriac since only recently, so I suppose that's one of the main reasons why I worry. When I try to be rational I figure it's nothing, but you never know.

I would guess yes if you eat bad(like "supersize me" bad) all the time with no exercise.

However in thruth I have no idea and since I am neither a doctor or a particularly smart man, I would not put too much trust in my guesses. ;)

Also, I'm not sure about this but just because it's not hereditary, doesn't mean it's not genetic(?). If your pancreas is "built" to fail at 50 years old it will. Or maybe it will just explode because of bad health habits.

Nevermind. I'll be in the Star Wars forums... :)

first, never self-diagnose. you're not trained to do that even if you have an MD (objectivity is severly lacking when you are considering your own health)!

second, even if you do manage to contract type-2, it takes a loooooong time to develop into something serious. as long as you get regular checkups from a doctor, he'll find it before any damage is done. if you're past your teens (or early 20s), type-1 is unlikely.

as for heriditary characteristics, type-1 requires the gene though a lack of family history is not proof you don't have the gene. if you do, a simple blood test will reveal the gene, which still only gives you a 5% chance of developing diabetes. the genetic link for type-2 is a bit fuzzier from everything i've read though it is likely from what i understand (again, a lack of history does not preclude the possibility). in either case, i do not know if the genes are recessive or dominant.

taks

Also, I'm not sure about this but just because it's not hereditary, doesn't mean it's not genetic(?).

heriditary == genetic with the exception of learned behavior i suppose (i.e. i inherited my dad's bad temper sort of thing... yes, i did, btw :( ).

taks

Well, I did a blood test about six months ago which looked fine in every respect, but is there any chance that I just "lucked out" on e.g. blood sugar? Or is the fact that you have to do it on an empty stomach supposed to eliminate such potential misrepresentations of the blood values? Oh well, I guess I'm just making too much of everything right now.

Well, I did a blood test about six months ago which looked fine in every respect, but is there any chance that I just "lucked out" on e.g. blood sugar? Or is the fact that you have to do it on an empty stomach supposed to eliminate such potential misrepresentations of the blood values? Oh well, I guess I'm just making too much of everything right now.

If you're not peeing every half hour... You're fine.

No, I don't, but I sort of imagine that I both drink and pee more than I used to which I've taken as a bad indication. Maybe I'm just getting old... :-

Edited by Checkpoint