Sword of the Stars

Been craving a new 4x space game ever since MoO3 came and left with a disappointing experience? Well, SotS just released a demo of their new 4x game. Whether it will put another nail in the coffin of the genre like MoO3 did, or give it some new life -- I have no idea (still getting the demo).

The demo weighs in at 226.8MB

links:

www.fileplanet.com

www.3dgamers.com

www.vgpro.com

After playing for a bit, I have to agree with you. Although I like how they took out some of the overbearing (not needed) complexity that was found in other games of the genre -- I think they went a bit too far.

Edited by LostStraw

Been craving a new 4x space game ever since MoO3 came and left with a disappointing experience?  Well, SotS just released a demo of their new 4x game.  Whether it will put another nail in the coffin of the genre like MoO3 did, or give it some new life -- I have no idea (still getting the demo).

The demo weighs in at 226.8MB

links:

www.fileplanet.com

www.3dgamers.com

www.vgpro.com

HAve you tried Galactic Civilizations II? Super cool game.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How is it that I liked Civ II, Colonization, MOO, and Alpha Centauri better than the new games? It has been such a long wait! Gal Civ wasn't really to my taste. Crusader Kings was okay, but very different.

I could really go for a new X-Com type game. Or a Jagged Alliance. Not really on topic, but it just popped into my head.

Admittedly, I didn't give it much of a chance, but Galactic Civilizations II didn't do much for me.

Maybe one of these days I'll give it a longer trial.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Admittedly, I didn't give it much of a chance, but Galactic Civilizations II didn't do much for me.

Maybe one of these days I'll give it a longer trial.

The 3d took away some of the charm of GalCiv 1, and I wasn't entirely a big fan of having the planets right out on the map instead of being handled like MoO2, but I liked that when you were pounding on an enemy, instead of just dying, they could cede control of their territory to another player to thwart your conquest.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

After playing for a bit, I have to agree with you.  Although I like how they took out some of the overbearing (not needed) complexity that was found in other games of the genre -- I think they went a bit too far.

I think it's worth sticking with this for a while before you give up on it. The strategy comes from ship design, building ships with weaponry and defences to counter your opponent's ships with the random tech tree, rather than juggling happiness/colony development a la civ4. It also takes a while (took me a while anyway) to know what's going on in tactical combat. The tutorial wasn't very helpful. The kerberos forums have more info: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/