NHL

Darque

Decent price to take a chance on Belfour.

Good of the Oilers to lock up a young star like Hemsky for that long. Hopefully he keeps improving.

He's just got to get more consistent and bring it every game.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm pretty sure that Buffalo no longer has the option of negotiating a different deal for Briere.  IIRC you cannot modify an arbitrator's ruling.

Yep, they are stuck with it, otherwise he becomes a free agent. Gomez got 5 million as well, which I think he deserves, but I'm not sure if NJ will sign him. Should be interesting to see what happens.

"If the player is willing, why not?"

Why would a player (or team) renogiate after an arbitrator's ruling if they 'won' it and they ahd agreed to such a ruling? That's silly. Then again, I think the whole idea of an arbitrator ruling on contracts is dumb in ofitself.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wow, I just came home to see Hemsky singed. All I can say is I hope he shoots more. And it's great that they didn't break the bank on his contract. 24.6 million over 6 years is actuually not a bad deal for both sides.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I'm 99.9999999% sure you cannot renegotiate a deal once an arbitrator has made a ruling. You don't have to accept it until after 48 hours from the last arbitration that a team has, but they cannot change it.

It's part of the cost of filing for arbitration and going for it. Just like how a player can no longer accept RFA offer sheets when filed for arbitration.

Players going to arbitration could easily be an annoyance, but luckily they only get one arbitration per career.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The need for arbitration is a little more moot now that the UFA age is dropping.

The big thing about it is it can be used by the team or the player to ensure that they are signed on time.

I remember Shawn Horcoff last season commented that he filed for arbitration just to make sure that his contract was taken care of before training camp. In the end he settled before the hearing and got a $1 million deal.

Hahahahaha!!!  Good luck Detroit.  You'll be praying for Manny Legace when Hasek goes down again with another groin injury.

I actually burst out laughing when I heard that. My uncle is a huge Red Wings fan and for some reason thought that they were going to do something stupid like sign Belfour. Instead they pick up Hasek. :(

Yeah. 'Cause signing one of the best goalies ever who had a great season last year where he wa slikely to win ANOTHER Vezina if he didn't get injured because of the EVIL Olympics is a HORRIBLE decision.

Uhuh.

Sure, there's a chance he'll get injured again; but quite frankly; it's a chance worth taking.

Yeah. 'Cause signing one of the best goalies ever who had a great season last year where he wa slikely to win ANOTHER Vezina if he didn't get injured because of the EVIL Olympics is a HORRIBLE decision.

Uhuh.

Sure, there's a chance he'll get injured again; but quite frankly; it's a chance worth taking.

Ottawa took that chance last year and lost big time. Not only did he not play, but he was a major distraction for the rest of the season. He's good, but with the exception of last year, he hasn't played a full season since '02. He's had two groin injuries in the past three years and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up injured again this year.

At least the Red Wings aren't losing too much on him as he's only going for 750k with playoff based performance bonuses apparently.

EDIT: At least they didn't sign Belfour though. :devil:

Edited by Deraldin

Even an injured Hasek would be an upgrade over nerves-of-juice Manny Legace.

Regarding the Oilers I'm very curious about the current talk of Mikhnov/Sykora. There's been a lot of Sykora talk lately, but I figure they don't really want to pick up both of them (unless someone else is being shipped off in a D-man deal) and that's why it's taking so long. Tractor Boy should be top priority, and I assume that Sykora only comes to Edmonton if a Mikhnov deal doesn't happen this year or if someone like Torres is about to be used as trade bait.

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

It sounds a bit odd, but since the transfer agreement fell through I guess it's the only way for him to come over. If he truly was released we should hear news fairly shortly.

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

Eric Desjardins is retiring. What do you think his odds are for the Hall of Fame? He played over 1100 games, put up about 550 points, and won a Stanley Cup. That seems pretty impressive for a defenseman, .5 point average per game.

He's good; but to me he's not HOF worthy.

Agreed.

IMO, to make the HoF a player has to demonstrate he was one of, if not the best, at his position during his career.

Guys like Coffey, Bourque, Orr, Stevens, etc. were all arguably the best, or in the top 5 defensemen during their playing career for a decent amount of time, whereas Desjardins was NEVER a contender for a Norris, or a top 5 defenseman during any season he played.

He was a *good* defenseman. HoFers need to be *great* defensemen.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Don't forget Brian Leetch!!!

Untilr ecently when he has been only a 'good' defenseman; he has been one of the best in the league every year for a decade +!