5 new Gothic III screenshots

Getting back to the map, are all those names settlements? That would make a huge game, Morrowind-style. :)

But only 62 characters with voiced dialogue? Is that every character in the game? It'd be a lot smaller if that's the case.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well, 62 voice actors is a huge improvement from the original Gothic and Gothic 2. I particularly remember that in Gothic 2, they had the same voice for one of the main friends, one of the main enemies and the dragons! I'm usually not that bothered with voice recognition in a game, but in that case they went way too far even for me. At least the voice actor in question was rather good.

But yeah, all those names are settlements, villages and towns (and won't show up on the map like that in the game). The game is supposed to be three times bigger than Gothic 2, which was about Oblivion's size I would guess. I bet there are a lot more than 62 characters in the game so 62 voice actors is probably not quite enough. Unfortunately Piranha Bytes is a very small development house, they have only released two games so far (Gothic & Gothic 2), so their budget isn't of Bethesda dimensions.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

But yeah, all those names are settlements, villages and towns (and won't show up on the map like that in the game).

This is good news. :)

I don't object to having some characters unvoiced, or sharing a voice actor with another (ideally minor) character, as you say. It sounds silly, perhaps, but I found Oblivion rather small, for that kind of game and compared with Morrowind. In part that was because it was smaller, but also because you could see Imperial City from everywhere, so it made the world feel smaller, and there were fewer towns to speak of. If they can get the engine stable and running on a less-than-absurdly-powerful system, I'd like to get this game.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Good news and bad news:

Apparently there are only "more than 30" voice actors in the game. The previous preview was wrong. Damn. Oh well.

The good news: The Collector's Edition comes with a cloth map, not a paper one, which was stated earlier! Happy news for me, who have preordered the CE version already :)

Another bit of good news: The reason the game runs slow on even SLI systems (which some game sites have reported) is because the key for the debug function and the inventory is the same, so in most previews, they've been running it in debug mode. Apparently that makes the game run at half speed.

Edit: Another tidbit of good news:

Apparently the controls are now more like Oblivion's than the original Gothic's. I rather liked the controls in Gothic 2, but I can settle for more arcade-like controls too. I'm guessing they want the game to reach a huge audience this time and not be hindered by the controls again.

Edited by mkreku

Another bit of good news: The reason the game runs slow on even SLI systems (which some game sites have reported) is because the key for the debug function and the inventory is the same, so in most previews, they've been running it in debug mode. Apparently that makes the game run at half speed.

Makes sense. An executable compiled in Debug mode can under circumstances make the application running 2-8 times slower. Let's just hope the Piranhas don't forget to switch to "Release" for the final compile. LOL.

I also hope there's a demo before or around the release to check that out myself.

There probably won't be a demo for Gothic 3. I don't think it's very simple to take one chunk of the game world and package it alone in a demo. I think the last game of this sort that had a demo was Daggerfall.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Really? I wasn't aware of that. :">

Nevermind, then.

P.S.: How were those demos limited, by the way?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

There will be a demo for Gothic 3, but it will not be released until after the game has reached store shelves. Piranha Bytes is such a small team (15 people or so!) that they don't have anyone to spare to work on a demo until after the project is completed.

Actually it does matter to me. I don't like premade characters and one of the reasons why I disliked Gothic 2. It was the major drawback in Planescape Torment. When I play a RPG I want to play my character, and not the designers. So, that being said, it is another reason not to bother with Gothic 3.

The way I like o do it is create my character base skills and abilities as I see fit as well as pick my chracter's appearance and gender. That is character creation. What you are describing of "making" your character through actions is character development which happens during play after character creation.

The point is that I want the character I play be my character. If I am going to invest a crap load of time into it I want the character feel like mine and not someone elses. That can only be achieved with full character creation such as seen in Oblivion or NWN.

Well but in Fallout, your char also had a predefined role in the story, despite putting the points yourself into the char creation process. It's not like you could refuse accepting the mission to bring back the water chip, therefor you had a predefined role, that role the writer pretended.

But you could choose gender! :(

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Well but in Fallout, your char also had a predefined role in the story, despite putting the points yourself into the char creation process. It's not like you could refuse accepting the mission to bring back the water chip, therefor you had a predefined role, that role the writer pretended.

But you could choose gender! :(

Normally, a women in the Fallout universe would have been raped by sight. In the Gothic universe maybe as well, therefor only male gender. Makes sense.

Edited by Morgoth