Jacob's bad luck: Is it . . . Satan?

Baley

Bedeviled: His business deals have been delayed, keeping him from fully funding his campaign

By Robert Gehrke

The Salt Lake Tribune

utah-congressman.jpg

As if beating a five-term congressman wasn't hard enough, John Jacob said he has another foe working against him: the devil.

"There's another force that wants to keep us from going to Washington, D.C.," Jacob said. "It's the devil is what it is. I don't want you to print that, but it feels like that's what it is."

Jacob said Thursday that since he decided to run for Congress against Rep. Chris Cannon, Satan has bollixed his business deals, preventing him from putting as much money into the race as he had hoped.

Numerous business deals he had lined up have been delayed, freezing money he was counting on to finance his race.

"You know, you plan, you organize, you put your budget together and when you have 10 things fall through, not just one, there's some other, something else that is happening," Jacob said.

Asked if he actually believed that "something else" was indeed Satan, Jacob said: "I don't know who else it would be if it wasn't him. Now when that gets out in the paper, I'm going to be one of the screw-loose people."

Jacob initially said the devil was working against him during a Wednesday immigration event, then reiterated his belief Thursday in a meeting with The Salt Lake Tribune editorial board.

I think it's always funny when someone blames Satan for something. Because lets pretend there is a Devil and a God. If Satan is trying to screw something up, than why doesn't God step in and do something about it? He's the almighty anyway. So it doesn't seem like God wants him to win if he isn't doing anything about it.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Why would God step in?

"Jacob initially said the devil was working against him during a Wednesday immigration event"

He's probably anti-immigration. Maybe he's doing the Devil's work. Maybe God is the one working against him.

Also, you don't have to be religious to believe in Karma.

I think it's always funny when someone blames Satan for something. Because lets pretend there is a Devil and a God. If Satan is trying to screw something up, than why doesn't God step in and do something about it? He's the almighty anyway. So it doesn't seem like God wants him to win if he isn't doing anything about it.

Ooh! Ooh! I know the answer!

It's because God is good and gave us free will. Interfering would break his own laws.

But the Devil is evul!! And so he can do what he wants.

Now, remember children, say your prayers everynight before you go to bed, or you'll be sent to burn in the fiery torments of Hell!!!!

:rolleyes:

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I'd appreciate it if you damn heretics would shut the heck up. It honestly pains me to see my religion bashed, especially since you bashers probably know less than a scintilla about it.

Please.

Edited by metadigital
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

You're sounding like that fanatic that had a brief run a while ago.

What's his name...GrayJedi or something.

Except with less craziness and more civilised conversation.

Edited by Draken

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

Frie! Brimstoen!!!111 Dye stanists ****s!

Better now?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Gee, thanks.

kirottu said:

:Eldar's considering drawing down and shooting up the thread but reconsiders and eats some breakfast instead icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hmmm. Some christians take the bible as somewhat figurative, for instance the existance of the devil would be just the "flaw" human kind inherited from the original sin. The more literal you take the bible the more extreme one has to be. This atleast looks like he walks the line of literal interpretation of the bible. That combined with political power is disturbing at best.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Gee, thanks.

I guess if you share the view that this guy is a dangerous crackpot, probably using religion for his own selfish reasons, then the fight can be targeted on those of evil disposition (whatever religious persuasion) rather than one particular (poorly targeted) faith.

:lol:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Gee, thanks.

I guess if you share the view that this guy is a dangerous crackpot, probably using religion for his own selfish reasons, then the fight can be targeted on those of evil disposition (whatever religious persuasion) rather than one particular (poorly targeted) faith.

;)

Actually, I think I misread Hurlshot's post. I thought he wrote "he is comparable to a retard". Ahem, errare humanum, etc. :lol:

See, the way I see my religion is that I honestly belief that there's something good and benevolent smiling over us, Jahve elohim, Baldr, Kybele, whatever name you prefer, and that if you if believe in good and show it, try make the world a bit better with your actions, then that smile is ever brighter. Call me a blasphemer, but the stories of bible and whatnot are just that...stories. One can interpret them as one wants. Me? I choose faith.

That crackpot in the starting post has probably misunderstood something vital. :ph34r:

kirottu said:

Not that you care or anything, Mus, but I can actually respect all of that quite a bit. And not just 'cause they mirror my own views to a certain extent...

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Huh...I find it odd that people bash religion broadly, and then when someone who is religious speaks their mind, they are compared to a retard.  Very open minded.

I could tear this argument to pieces Hurlshot.

It's not an argument, it's an observation. And I'm making it strictly about our little forum family. I've seen numerous posts on how religion is stupid and belief in God is moronic. It just seems very intolerant to me. I don't go around insulting non-believers on these boards, but it seems to be open season against spirituality.

Huh...I find it odd that people bash religion broadly, and then when someone who is religious speaks their mind, they are compared to a retard.  Very open minded.

I could tear this argument to pieces Hurlshot.

It's not an argument, it's an observation. And I'm making it strictly about our little forum family. I've seen numerous posts on how religion is stupid and belief in God is moronic. It just seems very intolerant to me. I don't go around insulting non-believers on these boards, but it seems to be open season against spirituality.

In the United States religion is trying to pry its way into the constitution, classrooms, and foreign affairs, so the reality community has an axe to grind i suppose.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Hmmm... a man blames satan when things go wrong.

Man suffers setbacks in planning and business.

I'm seeing a connnection sure enough. :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's not an argument, it's an observation.  And I'm making it strictly about our little forum family.  I've seen numerous posts on how religion is stupid and belief in God is moronic.  It just seems very intolerant to me.  I don't go around insulting non-believers on these boards, but it seems to be open season against spirituality.

In the United States religion is trying to pry its way into the constitution, classrooms, and foreign affairs, so the reality community has an axe to grind i suppose.

"reality community" lol So are you trying to say that justifies behavior on this forum?

Edited by Mothman

The US has always had religion, or specifically christianity, deeply rooted within government and education. This is a very puritanical country. Everything is cyclical. Right now, the religious right is on an upswing. The fear of terrorism is being used by many to support a return of "moral values" which basically means everyone needs to be a God fearing Christian.

But this won't last forever. Each generation of children swings a different way, and eventually conservative America will lose it's iron grip. You can look at the Cold War as a perfect example. In the 50's, American society was afraid of the A-bomb and anything different than the norm. The 60's brought about social change and protests over the war on communism. By the 70's, society looked completely different than the 50's.

Anyways, considering all this stuff is cyclical, I just figure we should be as tolerant as we can. That way, in 20 years, you can look back and say "I wasn't a **** to people."

My only point is that you can't fight hatred with hatred or counter a jackass by being one yourself. Of course there's a strong anti-religion/anti-right wing sentiment on this board, so of course there's going to be a double standard when it comes to these things. I was just calling WITHTEETH on his claim that he could tear that argument to pieces. He can't, because it's not true. Unless he thought you were referring to the whole world in general and not our friendly little forum.

Edited by Mothman