SUPERMAN RETURNS!

Calax

you'd like it meta... you could pick it apart for chrisitan imagry.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Pffft....2.5 hours is nothing.

That depends highly on the movie.

Fair enough.

EDIT: Outside of Pearl Harbour, I can't think of many long movies that have sucked ass to the point where I stop watching though.

Two words: Peter Jackson.

*runs out of the thread before seeing any spoilers*

A good idea you got there old timer. Run, run as fast as you can.

Any ways is the new Superman better thatn the old ones?

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

visually of course... but in terms of story? it's more like superman one with a few extras.

I haven't seen Roger Ebert write a negative review quite like he did for Superman Returns in a long time. He's often accused lately for being too soft but not here. He did give it a C, but...heh..

I liked this quote - which is one of my issues with Superman as a character even tho I love the early movies & some of the comics:

Superman is vulnerable to one, and only one, substance: kryptonite. He knows this. We know this. Lex Luthor knows this. Yet he has been disabled by kryptonite in every one of the movies. Does he think Lex Luthor would pull another stunt without a supply on hand? Why doesn't he take the most elementary precautions?

Perhaps they need a new weakness for Superman. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

in the comics magic is a major one.

since crisis on infinate earths it seems like he can still be taken down by sheer phyical damage, but the amount of fighting he'd have to go through to reach that point would be nuts.

Biologically speaking Superman is a solar battery. He absorbs sunlight from a G class main sequence star and it strengthens him. Without that constant influx of solar energy he would be as physically weak and vulnerable as any human being.

Which is why I liked his comic book battles with that giant green guy w/the bone spikes, both on Earth and on whatever red planet that was. It's always much more interesting when the Hero isn't invulnerable.

...I'm bad with names...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Doomsday! And yeah, he was. Although so altered by then I think he's his own species. :D

I buy the all-in-one compilation books. I think I have all the ones mainly pertinent to the Doomsday plotline, and I re-read them fairly often. I'd like to see him in future Superman movie...if they did him right anyway.

the TPB for that story arc is Superman/Doomsday: hunter/prey

its interesting how they manipulate the evolution of a creature to turn into this killing machine that will evolve a defense against any attack should it be killed.

for example.. superman would often stay out of his reach by flying in the death of superman. So doomsday promptly made the knuckle bones jet out and embedd themselves in supermans sholder.

I just got in from my second viewing. I hate to say it, but it's far too long. Plus, I ran out of popcorn halfway through.

And forget Bizarro, Hades, next up I wanna see Brainiac or Metallo.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Biazzaro isn't he the one that looks like a Neanderthal Superman?

yep... but before they have bizzaro they need to have Darksied.

also superman is a solar powered jesus.

I didn't like Superman Returns.

It was too long and boring and we spent half the movie listening to Lois Lane bitch about her job.

3 action sequences, including the "climax" which is little more than "Lift the big bad thing Superman, nevermind the villain, ooooh special effects!"

In between we get the blah, blah, blah, Supes flies romantically with Lois, Clark eats a sandwich, the kid is cute and opens the door for one very crappy sequel, Lex is devious but not smart enough to actually change is plan from the previous films(he wants new land), Cyclops saves the day cuz he can fly too...

Everything falls completely flat.

Good things? The plane rescue scene was amazing and the very best part of the movie. Too bad this happens during the first 15 minutes of a 2h45 movie and nothing else is better afterwards.

Lex Luthor is very evil in that one. His insanity makes him a bit comical but most of the character is just pure evil. I liked that.

It makes Superman The Movie and Superman 2 even better movies, despite their age.

I would've prefered a completely "new" take on Superman, similar to what was done in Batman Begins. A larger connection to the the comics instead of the movies, a more complex Superman than the simple "I am good, I do only good deeds". I mean, if Supes helps some officers arrest a speeding criminal but in fact, that speeder was not the criminal but running from dirty cops?

Anyway, it sucked. Go rent Incedibles instead.

PS: No, I'm not feeling better. :-

I find it funny that you mock the special effects scene, and then state that your favourite part of the movie was the biggest special effect scene.

I said: "3 action sequences, including the "climax" which is little more than "Lift the big bad thing Superman, nevermind the villain, ooooh special effects!"

It looks good but what happens? He lifts an island into space.

The plane scene was much more intense, fast and the effects were better. A climax should always be the top scene in any movie and in a film that is built on special effects, we want to see Superman fly around at blinding speeds and kicking butt. Not slowly pushing a rock into space.

The movie was slow enough.

astro's right in that the movie after about 20 or 30 minutes slowed to a glacial pace. Also they needed to find sombody for lois that acutally had Chemistry with Routhe. the way it is right now you could NEVER see them as partners in life.

The kid probably shouldn't exsist as supermans. It completly kills supermans character as a loner (he's always had that side to him of "I'm the last of my race...") and having superbabies powers manifest for the first time by tossing a piano into a guy killing him is not a good thing.

All in all if the movie had kept to the pace set in the first 1/2 hour it would have been nice.

astro's right in that the movie after about 20 or 30 minutes slowed to a glacial pace.

If that's true then it's opposite of the '78 film, which would be bad, imo. I don't mind a slow beginning to help set the backstory or characters etc. but having it be the other way around is no good...well, I'll try to see this film during the day next week.