Videogaming may become an Olympic sport!

ramza

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/42321

Where do I sign up to take part in the next Olympics?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

That is patently absurd, since Chess or Poker aren't Olympical sports, and those've been around way longer. Which undoubtedly means we'll see it sooner than later.

I'm not sure I'd like to spend 12-15 hours daily playing UT2K7 for three years in order to prepare for the Olympics, anyway. I reckon it would be the wet dream of lots of folks, though.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

That is patently absurd, since Chess or Poker aren't Olympical sports, and those've been around way longer. Which undoubtedly means we'll see it sooner than later.

I'm not sure I'd like to spend 12-15 hours daily playing UT2K7 for three years in order to prepare for the Olympics, anyway. I reckon it would be the wet dream of lots of folks, though.

not unreal but hey I'd go for it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Why are they're moving baseball/softball from the Olympics? That's just dumb.

As for gaming as a Big O Sport... hmmm... hmmm.. that's all I gotta say.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No, is all I can say really.

The way I see it, anything in the Olympics has to actually involve some form of exercise or pushing oneself to succeed, sure you can do it with gaming, but not using exercise too. It would be ridiculous to put it in the Olympics

Why are they're moving baseball/softball from the Olympics? That's just dumb.

Because the Olympics are too big, and the IOC wants to make them smaller and/or make room for other new sports.

Because professional baseball in the US has had a lot of drugs problems and the IOC is very worried about drugs affecting its image still further.

Because softball, and to a lesser degree baseball, aren't played widely in very many countries.

Because the sports are identified as American, and America isn't very popular at the moment.

There were other reasons mentioned when the decision was made. I was still surprised, as I imagine it will hit the amount of money US television companies are willing to pay for viewing rights and put a dent in the IOC's pocket.

As for whether videogames should be an Olympic sport, it's an interesting question which I will use as a discussion topic with my students next week. Thanks for the link. :blink:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

That is patently absurd, since Chess or Poker aren't Olympical sports,

World Poker Tour proves poker can be a fun visual medium...if they made that an Olympic sport I'd watch....but as anyone who's watched a friend play a game knows, it's never fun to watch someone else play a video game.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts