Sound Cards

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

a!!! This topic died in May 2006!

Twitter | @Insevin

aHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH

And this post leaves me mystified, since it is the post that dug the topic out...

To add a bit of a substantive response of my own to this thread, I will share the following experience:

Sound made a huge difference to me once in terms of gaming performance. In fact, it made the difference between being able to run KOTOR and not being able to run it. I was below the minimum specifications for the game and the game would freeze and jump between frames even at the minimal graphical options. Turning off the sound, however, enabled the game to run relatively normally. I did not have a soundcard, so apparently sound was siphoning off processing resources.

There is no need for a separate soundcard these days. Even GPU's come with built-in sound processors now (to be able to send both sound and picture through HDMI).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

There is no need for a separate soundcard these days. Even GPU's come with built-in sound processors now (to be able to send both sound and picture through HDMI).

PUHLEEEZA Sound cards are a must have for superior audio quality.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Try it. Why do you think it could be the soundcard?

Anyway, NightandtheShape is right. Huge difference in quality (though newer "codecs" are supposedly not too crappy sounding anymore) and also noticably better performance because load is taken off the processor when using any special features such as decoding of DTS or EAX.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I play AOE III online with vista. It stops unexpectedly all the time. will stopping sound card help??

Why did you not post your question the first time you replied to this thread? I cannot understand why you would spam and than make a legitimate posting in the same topic - for there seems to be no logical reason for doing so in this case. Also, what are your specifications and what are the minimum, or recommended, requirements of the Third Age of Empires? Personally, I have never had any sound-card related problems, but I know certain games seem to have problems with some brands (I cannot think of them off the top of my head, but I might recognize the name of some of the aforementioned problem cards.).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

says Hi-Def audio device?

Says Dell on screen but Gateway on exterior (same i guess)

Pentium dual core intel

windows vista premium (originally basic)

ATI radeon xpress 200M

1.6 GHz

AOE III REQ

Twitter | @Insevin

This is the soundcard i bought a while ago.

Better SNR and general sound quality than the Soundblaster X-Fi. It also supports EAX 5.0 and Dolby Digital 5.1 LIVE (DTS Interactive support will be released later).

Best soundcard on the market.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This is the soundcard i bought a while ago.

Better SNR and general sound quality than the Soundblaster X-Fi. It also supports EAX 5.0 and Dolby Digital 5.1 LIVE (DTS Interactive support will be released later).

Best soundcard on the market.

I know you probably posted in general, but as for me, the thing is that I don't have spare money to buy new equipment, only troubleshoot what I already have.

Twitter | @Insevin

• 3 weeks later...

The only time I felt like getting an actual sound onboard was on the EPoX 8RDA+ with the nVidia nForce2 Soundstorm eons ago. All the latter Realtek and AC97 has been like *Bleeps* compared to the relatively cheap Audigy 4 OEM card I got two years ago, but I don't see that particular Creative soundcard in shops anymore, now it's only Audigy SE, Audigy 2ZS and a ludicrous amount of variants of X-FI, but getting a real soundcard instead of anything onboard is going to make a huge difference.. I guess even the cheapest $40 X-FI card will be better than that Audigy 4 card.. I kinda swore that.. Well, just the X-FI then, but don't tell anyone.

(Signatures: disabled)