DVD vs CD

And some info for the people here who seem to throw around and jump on their DVD's...

DVD en dan?

Een DVD is een mooi medium, maar er zijn geen ervaringscijfers over de houdbaarheid ervan. Een paar regels:

- pak het plaatje altijd aan de buitenste rand vast

- ga niet krassen in het plaatje

- buig het plaatje NOOIT

- stel het plaatje niet bloot aal extreme licht bronnen zoals zon

- stel het plaatje niet bloot aan extreme temperaturen

- een beschadigd plaats kan als verloren worden beschouwd

- bewaar het plaatje in het daartoe bestemde doosje

DVD and then?

The DVD is a beautifull medium, but there are no numbers available about the longitivity of a disk. A frw rules:

- Always pick up the disk on the outer ring

- Do not scratch the disk

- Never bend the disk

- Never expose the disk to extreme lightsources like the sun

- Never expose the disk to extreme tempratures

- A damaged (location on the) disk can be considered lost

- Keep the disk in the box

Sounds all pretty d

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Good game > trivial issue of swapping a disc

:p

I don't care which media the game is on. Sure, I'll cuss a little bit when I have to restore back to a save that requires the previous CD, but 5 minutes later I've forgotten all about it. 'Most' publishers minimized disc-swapping in multi-CD sets--although I do seem to remember one that was divided into 'areas' of the continent. And yes, that was a major pain. But it didn't keep me from playing.

Edited by kalimeeri

Doesn't change that they exist.  One of the reasons why I stopped playing Planescape Torment is because of the lame arse disk swaping.

Good game > trivial issue of swapping a disc

Besides, it's perfectly possible to just copy the cds to the HD and edit the .ini so that the game loads the file needed from there instead. That way you only need to keep one CD (any CD) in the drive for the copy-protection. It does take up a lot of room on the HD though.

And that is the reason why DVD's own...

No need for it on the Harddisk, since it is all on the disk...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

stupid question from the back: why don't game dvds do the whole flippy over thingy that movie dvds do?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That is cause the disk is only that big. And so far as I know there haven't been multi-DVD games yet. A second DVD has so far always been used for additional extra fluff...

^

This is a bit off-topic, but has anyone else had problems with their DVD-rom RW drive not even noticing that some game CD-roms are inserted? ie, the drive spins the disc a while then falls silent, no error message, no nothing...just doesn't see the disc. If I re-insert it several times it'll eventually notice.

It's not the disc itself, cause I can put in the plain vanilla CD-rom drive in the older PC and it runs just fine. Sometimes I think DVD drives are a bit more...picky.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Cheap rickety parts in expensive yet disposable hardware, perhaps?

Maybe we're unlucky, but I've also noticed it in DVD-theater players lately.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts