Good Thrash Metal Bands

Killdozer, while not metal in any conventional sense, they had one of the most trashiest sounds ever.

Same goes for stuff by Black Flag, Disaffect, Tad, The Jesus Lizard, etc.

Anyway, if you're on a metal binge I can always list some of the most worthwile albums, 20:

Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten (Death Metal)

Agalloch - Pale Folklor (Folk\Doom Metal)

Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symphonia (Avant-garde Black Metal)

Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality

Atheist - Elements (Progressive Death Metal)

Brujeria - Raza Odiada (Death\Grind)

Brutal Truth - Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses (Grindcore)

Cynic - Focus (Remastered) (Progressive Death Metal)

Cryptopsy - None So Vile (Death Metal)

Fantomas - Suspended Animation (Avant-garde Metal)

Fantomas - Delirium Cordia (Avant-garde Metal)

The Melvins - Houdini

The Melvins - Stag

Fantomas Melvins Big Band - Millennium Monsterworks

Sleep - Dopesmoker (Stoner Metal)

Sleep - Jerusalem (Stoner Metal)

Coroner - Mental Vortex (Trash Metal)

Ulver - Nattens madrigal (Black Metal)

Pig Destroyer - Prowler In The Yard (Grindcore)

Ephel Duath - Pain Necessary To Know (Avant-garde Metal)

Edited by Baley

Agalloch - Pale Folklore (Folk\Doom Metal)

I've heard lots of bad stuff from this. Listen before buying. Otherwise Baley's list is kinda awesome, at least for the parts I've listened to.

You could also try these, since were not exactly thrash anymore:

Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness/Spirit the Earth Aflame(folk/doom/black)

T

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Don't listen to that slavic apespawn, Plano! Soothsayer of lies and deceit!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Because it's only thing you are superior at, Mister Dragos.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

You pretty much have all the trash metal you need in pre-Black Album Metallica and Testament.

If you need some more good Power Metal, Kamelot is the best Power Metal band I have ever heard.

what are your favorite albums of theirs?

Kamelot? Epica is their best, but Karma and the recent The Black Halo.

I don't dig much of their earlier stuff, because they had a different singer and guitarist who both weren't that good.

• 2 weeks later...

i think everybody forgot 'panthera' one of teh great thrash bands ever w such an album called 'reinventing teh steel'.maybe cuz not so popular.or maybe cuz teh complexity of this songs and being hard to play w teh guitar.i enjoy listening to pantera since my high school days

The Illuminator

Democracy starts with allowing different political opinions to express themselves.

Fascism starts with killling all, who has different political opinions than yours.

It's a pity for earth as it is full of fascists claiming to be democratic.

THRASH, as in beating the dingo out of stuff. Not trash as in garbage.

kirottu said:

Enescu's obscure? That's a shame. I believe he even conducted the New York Philharmonic before the war. He was one of the most famous Romanians to have fled to France. Cioran and Ionesco being the other two greats. There were some festivals in his honour last year, both in Bucharest and NY, 50 years since his death.

Completely unrelated, have you heard any Glenn Branca?

Enescu's obscure? That's a shame. I believe he even conducted the New York Philharmonic before the war. He was one of the most famous Romanians to have fled to France. Cioran and Ionesco being the other two greats. There were some festivals in his honour last year, both in Bucharest and NY, 50 years since his death.

Enescu was actually well known as a conductor (in the US) and as one of the greatest violinist of his day (in Europe), though his recording legacy is scant thus few people still remember him even in those capacities.

However, it's has a composer that he's really obscure. He was the most talented musician since Mozart and an individual of great passion and integrity, a shame.

Completely unrelated, have you heard any Glenn Branca?

I heard of him, though i have yet to try some of his music.

All i know is that he is an avant-garde composer who plays and writes for electric guitar. He's supposed to be one of totalists, a style which mixes the energy and some of the appeal of popular music with minimalism and the complexity of contemporary classical music.

I never liked minimalism so i've always been slow in exploring composers associated with it, but the post-minimalim composers seem much more interesting. Besides, a symphony with electric guitar is too good to pass up...

Wonder if we couldn't find a better classification for his music. Something like Noise Classical. Yeah, there's a strong no-wave influence in there.

Here's a review for his Symphony 13, Mike Watt was present. It's always great seeing the man and his work. I'd much prefer hearing it though.

There are some samples on Branca's website but not enough to form an opinion.

Edited by Baley

Noise classical? Interesting. Anyone listen of Penderecki? Now that is some odd sounding classical music.

Penderecki is very good, propably one of the best composers alive today, but he's not as odd sounding as you think once you learn the landscape of modern classical music, he's actually quite conservative.

If you want some really odd classical music try some spectralist or new complexity music. I doubt even the composers themselves know just what the hell it's going on there... :D

Wonder if we couldn't find a better classification for his music. Something like Noise Classical. Yeah, there's a strong no-wave influence in there.

Well, like most modern composers i think Branca kinda dodges any type of definition you can throw at him. Microtonalism (which is what his music uses for the most part) can sound quite cacophonic, but i would think there must be a point in there somewhere. Avant-garde has been known to produce a lot of crap since it's conception but as in all things creative minds can make something great out of everything.

Then again, SOME composers are actually known to be quite noisy (*cought* Xenakis *cought* Babitt *cought*), and proud of it. :cool:

Edited by Lyric Suite