I'm Chris Avellone, I used to be a junior/int./senior/lead designer at Black Isle before I came over to Obsidian, where I became a combination Creative Director, Lead Designer, and Senior Designer. I was lead on Knights of the Old Republic II, and then transferred over to Neverwinter Nights 2 when K2 was finished to work mostly on the creative and scripting aspects of the companions and their interactions with the player. We're porting over some of the elements of the influence system from Knights of the Old Republic II, but trying to polish it more in this iteration - we couldn't take it in exactly the same direction as KotorII because of story and genre considerations.
Whatever folks want to ask is fine, fire away.
So here again is the format that we will follow (note there have been some adjustments owing to the learning from the first Top Ten):
1) A thread will be stuck in the Developers' Corner that will encourage the community to post questions/items that you would like Chris to address. As a suggestion, I would offer that the question should be as succinct and pithy as possible - a suggested format would be:
Question: How do you balance the needs of a new designn house and the energy that comes with such a fresh venture with the tension/reality of having to rely on the financial/resources of such influential companies as Lucas & Atari?
2) This thread will remain open for 4-7 days. As this process proceeds, it should be understood that this particular feature will be keenly watched for SPAM and trolling. Though we moderate these fora with a high level of tolerance – to the chagrin of some – this will not occur in this instance. As I am sure you can appreciate, it is important to give this a real chance for the community to interact with the developers/owners. If you do not have something constructive to add, then choose not to post,
3) The thread will then be closed and the ideas will be collated and ranked by the mod squad. Two of the factors that will detemrine longevity of the input phase are the volume of ideas and the constructive nature of them,
4) Once a top ten list has been finalised, the other ideas will not be discarded, but may be kept for possible future use. As well, the chosen items will acknowledge the member with a link to their profile, and;
5) The Top Ten will be stuck and posted again in Developers' Corner in order that the developer/owner will have time to interact with the questions and the community. Again, for the sake of not sounding repetitive, this discussion will be monitored closely for spam/flaming/and general trolling mayhem. It is hoped that each thread will follow a duration of no more than 3 weeks. At a time when the discussions seems to have run its course, the thread will be locked and the process will be begun anew.
So I would invite the community to consider items of interest and to post them here. I would also add that I would rather this thread be only the ideas themselves.