BREAKING NEWS: BETHESDA TELLS ESRB TO STICK IT!

No regulation. Use common sense when you think about purchasing a game, or parents should use common sense if they feel the game is too violent or sexual for their children.

Even less feasable for games than for movies.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Why is that?

You can view movies quite quickly. Games on the other hand would take a lot longer to per-view.

Unless your saying that parents simply shouldnt care what their children watch or play ? Becuase they will inevitably be exposed to it anyway.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Because parents, who are older than us, don't play games.

Us? :blink:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Than they need to get their act together and start being a parent. Take an active interest in their child's life.

Like movies, they do reviews of games in game magazines, they do a brief description on what the game is about on the box. They are not totally ignorant to what they can buy.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Than they need to get their act together and start being a parent. Take an active interest in their child's life.

Like movies, they do reviews of games in game magazines, they do a brief description on what the game is about on the box. They are not totally ignorant to what they can buy.

Thats the phillosophy behind Nintendo's Wii. My folks will play a DS game. But show them a PS2 controller and it's just too much to take in.

Reviews are not written to inform parents for the most part. And those that are, are usually bias to the point of idiocy.

478327[/snapback]

DR makes an awesome argument. I see absolutely no reason why the ESRB should exist. It's these kinds of organizations that marginalize the freedom that men fought and died for. Who are they, to provide recommendations to parents about what is included in those games? Are they so daft as to think that parents aren't able to make their own FREE choices without being affected by such subliminal censorship?

What dark age do we live in where our children are prisoners of censorship? What have we fought for?

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Not :p

I get my gameplaying attitude from my mom :)

And she's way more of a video game junkie than me :blink:

Granted it's adventure games like myst and puzzle games like tetris though :p

Not :)

I get my gameplaying attitude from my mom :)

And she's way more of a video game junkie than me :p

Granted it's adventure games like myst and puzzle games like tetris though :p

:blink:

Yes, I'm sure there are some people in the grey electorate, too. I wasn't making an exclusive exhaustive statement.

:Darque:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Err, WTF is the difference? If the reviewer says that a game has excessive violence and shouldn't be played by kids......

You're grasping at straws, and from what I understand don't really understand the ESRB (or the MPAA).

Edited by alanschu

Dumb question.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

C'mon, reading reviews in magazines? That's a bit too much pressure to place on parents. Toys have age ratings, movies, etc. The ESRB system is good, otherwise you'd have a bunch of 10 year-olds ending up with GTA and that's not something small children need to have access to.

Woth point out that before the rating system, politicians and lawyers were going crazy cracking down on games with even a hint of mature content and they're starting to look for more opportunities now.

"There is blood in your wicked mortal combat game!!! YOU DEVIANTS ARE CORRUPTING CHILDREN!"

No ratings system = no mature games.

The ESRB is lame anyway.  We need to get rid of it.

The alternative would be non voluntary regulation. Which would be both stricter and take longer.

Stunts like leaving things on a disk to be found dosnt do the non censorship side any favours.

No regulation. Use common sense when you think about purchasing a game, or parents should use common sense if they feel the game is too violent or sexual for their children.

don't go and get reasonable. if a parent sees her child throw a brick through a window it is easier to blame tv or video games or sun spots than it is to takes responsibility. democratic government can also leads to the tyranny of the masses. Congressmen and Senators, whether you like it or not, is 'posed to represent their constituents, so is no reason to be surprised or offended when they do.

in Gromnir's biz we often refer to certain Supreme Court Decisions as "cute cases." is a stupid label, but what it means is that occasionally the Courts seemingly ignore precedent in favor of protecting some special groups o' people. the amish, the mentally handicapped, children, etc. children, in particular, is a source of much fuzzy law... gotta protect kids from hearing swear words, so even if indecent speech is technically protected...

*shrug*

industry lawyers and ceos is real familiar with irresponsible parents who somehow manage to gets their Congressman to pass all kinds of wacky laws and those lawyers and ceos also know that when it comes to protecting kids the Court can be bit unpredictable... regardless of what past Courts has claimed were the meaning o' the Constitution.

so, games industries and movie industries and record industries figures that it is far better to police themselves than it is to have Government setting the standards and policing. game industry efforts to police self is completely practical

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Err, WTF is the difference? If the reviewer says that a game has excessive violence and shouldn't be played by kids......

You're grasping at straws, and from what I understand don't really understand the ESRB (or the MPAA).

Oh, sure, change the whole post so mine looks stupid. :blink:

- Everlast