Was United 93 an inspirational movie?

Eddo36

Is United 93 an inspirational movie?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is United 93 an inspirational movie?

• Yes
    • No

So why not film a test?

And I know it must have seemed like a quick, easy solution...but...damn it, why couldn't they have been patient a few weeks longer, then there's a huge chance it would have ended peacefully?

A better question would be why not surrender after the first bomb ?

Yeah, that is a much better question. No arguments here.

Because LoneWolf's a goddamn hippy?

I look the part, shaggy hair and all...and the desire to see things end without unnecessary death.

Those people didn't deserve it. If it's a group, or person who does, on the other hand...let the annihilation begin! :)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Sh!t happens. Those people were collateral damage and averted potentially much worse and extensive pain and suffering over a longer period of time.

Have to think tactically when it comes to war, because if you aren't willing to make sacrifices to win your enemy sure will be.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

No ****. In a time of war, were I in charge, if it came down to it, I'd have made the call too. But only if there were no other alternative.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

A better question would be why not surrender after the first bomb ?

Because they dropped the second bomb within three days? The Japanese government was scrambling to keep its citizens calm as well as assessing the damage and weighing the little options they have left. Even with today's high-speed communications, when 9/11 happened, Bush kept reading his children's book for another 20 minutes and then disappeared into Air Force 1 and flied blindly in the sky for another two hours while Chaney went hiding in a bunker. President Bush did not address the nation until half a day later. How can you expect the Japanese to respond with a non-conditional surrender within 72 hours?

Because they dropped the second bomb within three days? The Japanese government was scrambling to keep its citizens calm as well as assessing the damage and weighing the little options they have left.

In other words they were weighing up whether or not to surrender.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Kirottu, without the USA in WW2 a lot of allied soldiers would be dead: my father included.

I have nothing against USA joining/making the allied forces in WW2. In light of history you can clearly point finger at nazi Germany and Japan and say "Evil".

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

@Paladin - Right. US should have given Japan more time. If Bush was running the Japanese government, they probably needed weeks to respond, once they got him out of the bombshelter first.

Edited by julianw

What am I missing then? 72 hours are hardly enough time to make a decision this important. It's as if someone was just slapped hard in the face and as he was standing there dumbfounded, the guy slapped him again.

Edited by julianw

What am I missing then? 72 hours are hardly enough time to make a decision this important. It's as if someone was just slapped hard in the face and as he was standing there dumbfounded, the guy slapped him again.

There is nothing to decide. You either quit or you carry on fighting. If you don't quit , then the other side has every right to hit you again before you hit them.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Actually, a better analogy would be to lose a major city within a single night, then be given three days to assess the damage, try to figure out what the hell happened, and bring all your people to the conclusion that surrender is inevitable...then lose another city after that third day.

Wait...

Edited by LoneWolf16

- Everlast

There is nothing to decide. You either quit or you carry on fighting. If you don't quit , then the other side has every right to hit you again before you hit them.

'Either quit or carry on fighting': that is a very big decision to make and it's not one man's decision either. People held meetings about this stuff. People who didn't really care that much for inncoent lives.

Are the Japanese at that point any threat to the US? No. They have no oil to run their tanks and ships and all their trained soldiers are killed already. The only incentives for US to drop the bomb are: 1) show strength to the Russians who has become a threat and 2) avoid a land invasion of Japan, which they had no plan to start in three days after Hiroshima. The US had all the time in the world to wait for an response. Instead, they decided to drop another atomic bomb on another city heavily populated with civilians after merely three days.

'Either quit or carry on fighting': that is a very big decision to make and it's not one man's decision either. People held meetings about this stuff. People who didn't really care that much for inncoent lives.

Are the Japanese at that point any threat to the US? No. They have no oil to run their tanks and ships and all their trained soldiers are killed already. The only incentives for US to drop the bomb are: 1) show strength to the Russians who has become a threat and 2) avoid a land invasion of Japan, which they had no plan to start in three days after Hiroshima. The US had all the time in the world to wait for an response. Instead, they decided to drop another atomic bomb on another city heavily populated with civilians after merely three days.

At that stage I would have thought it was pretty straightforward. You cant blame the Americans for the Japanese disregard of their people anymore than you can blame the allies for having to fight to the gates of Berlin because Adolf wouldnt throw in the towel.

You can be a threat without having the power to threaten the country directly.

478327[/snapback]

So why not film a test?

And I know it must have seemed like a quick, easy solution...but...damn it, why couldn't they have been patient a few weeks longer, then there's a huge chance it would have ended peacefully?

Film it?

And show it how? This was 1945: no satellite, no tv, and even in Wesern countries news was delivered weekly, via cinema ... oh, I know they could use their broadband! :shifty:

Your grip on geopolitics and historical perpective is very tenuous.

Answer me this: what good would a delay do?

It's not like the Japanese Imperial government held a referendum! It was still the decision of one man (Emperor Hirohito), possibly after convincing his war cabinet (<10 men), to surrender. That takes three minutes, not three days.

Wait for the farmers to attempt a coup? Because that would result in less civilian casualties? :rolleyes:

Stop being an apologist for the militaristic Japanese fascists.

Iwo Jima

You seem to be very keen to give value to the civilians of Japan ... what about the Allied conscripts who were trying to end the war, that was started by the Axis, as quickly as possible for both sides? Their lives are forfeit because they have a gun? :rolleyes:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think using 3 'roll eyes' emotes in one post goes against some sort of forum rule.

Edit: As does spam... soo... :ph34r:

Edited by Lucius

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

They were the aggressors, they were being asked to capitulate to surrender (n.b. NOT ANNIHILATION, merely a ceasation of hostilities).

And it wasn't like Japan was winning, either: they had been steadily losing since the Battle of Midway, and all that was up for debate was whether the Allies would have to invade the Japanese mainland.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So why not film a test?

Film it?

And show it how? This was 1945: no satellite, no tv, and even in Wesern countries news was delivered weekly, via cinema ... oh, I know they could use their broadband! :wub:

Your grip on geopolitics and historical perpective is very tenuous.

Answer me this: what good would a delay do?

It's not like the Japanese Imperial government held a referendum! It was still the decision of one man (Emperor Hirohito), possibly after convincing his war cabinet (<10 men), to surrender. That takes three minutes, not three days.

Wait for the farmers to attempt a coup? Because that would result in less civilian casualties? :)

All righty. You could film it, then send it to the Emperor, along with the necessary equipment, with one of the diplomats.

I knew that. All of that, in fact. Thank you for telling me something I already know, then being mean about it. :)

Look at Kirottu's post. That sizes it up pretty nicely. As was said earlier, it took our country most of the day to get their act together after the WTC incident in 2001. There's a big time difference there...but a same guiding principle. It takes a while to make important decisions regarding one's country.

- Everlast

'Cause that would make sense...

- Everlast

Would it necessarily have?

Would the Emperor have surrended if two bases/armies/fleets were wiped out? Or would the Japanese be more convinced of the evils of the American swines and strengthen their resolve? Losing two cities is kinda demoralizing. It's easy to see 'right' and 'wrong' in hindsight, isn't it?

Was it the right decision? Heh.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)