The good ol' times...

ramza

Good old times are over.

That they are. There will never be a great game Like Fallout or Baldur's Gate.

Yep. And this ^ is why.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

PS:T is a great game and, years later, no other CRPG stacks up to it. Of course, I always have an eye out for one that will. In the meantime, there are some great CRPGs out there.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"PS:T is a great game and, years later, no other CRPG stacks up to it"

Over the eyars, as much as I like PST, there's been about 20+ games that not only stack up to it but also surpass it. These games hail from the 80s to the 90s to the 2000s.

PST is overrated. Good (even great at times); but overrated.

My argument is this: When I can turn on the tv, and watch a daytime drama do an amnesia storyline with superior writing, dialogue, and acting it's hard to take PST as serious as I otherwise could.

PST's greatest strength and where few games (with the possible exceptions of BG2 and BL) are the awesome characters.

Peace, and war. :p;)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

watch a daytime drama do an amnesia storyline with superior writing, dialogue, and acting

I need your cable company.

since there was no actual acting in PS:T, and comparatively little voice acting, nearly all emotion had to be conveyed through text and left to the imagination of the gamer. To say a soap opera has better writing is just wrong, and makes me wonder about your imagination.

EDIT: oops, was replying to Volourn's comment.

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Have you guys actually watched a daytime drama or do you just go by the 'ol 'it's only for stay at home mom types' or 'i once saw 5 minutes of a dramatic scene and it was too overwrought' opinion made by many?

"nearly all emotion had to be conveyed through text and left to the imagination of the gamer."

A gamer shouldn't have to imagine emotion. The writing should convey. That said, I'm not saying PST sucks. There were plenty of emotional/drmaatic moments. I'm referring to the amnesiac story most specifically.

As for my (lack of) imagination, no need for me to defend it. After nearly 2 decades of role-playing/dming , I think my imagination is in a good place.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Regrettably, I have seen daytime dramas.

I was exposed to the horrors that were "Another World" and "General Hospital" while growing up, and have had to sit through that schlock on occassion in recent years as well.

Girl I know made me watch a good 10 minutes of General Hospital.

I woke up screaming for a few nights afterwards...

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

PS:T is a great game and, years later, no other CRPG stacks up to it.  Of course, I always have an eye out for one that will.  In the meantime, there are some great CRPGs out there.

LOLZ

It does not even come close to being in the same league as Baldur's Gate or Fallout. The two games are master pieces that will never be duplicated again. I will spare all, since you all know my opinion on PST. I never liked the PST game world to begin with which was already a strike to that game before I played it.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

PST is overrated. Good (even great at times); but overrated.

My argument is this:  When I can turn on the tv, and watch a daytime drama do an amnesia storyline with superior writing, dialogue, and acting it's hard to take PST as serious as I otherwise could.

PST's greatest strength and where few games (with the possible exceptions of BG2 and BL) are the awesome characters.

Wrong. It's greatest strength was allowing you to define who your character was in meaningful ways. That's why you can't just compare it to a linear work of fiction and leave it at that. Sorry. You lose. :)

I echo LoneWolf's assessment on soap operas too, they are terror incarnate. Please don't abuse PS:T with such an inhumane comparison Volourn.

BTW(not directed at you Volourn), how is being stuck with a bunch of Gauntlet and Final Fantasy clones any better than being stuck with more games that are similar to the classics mentioned in this thread?

Why am I the only one to dislike the Fallout games? They really stink...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Regular like clockwork :)"

Annoying me too, and I'm patient to an unhealthy degree. :geek:

- Everlast