The thread of world events

Hildegard

I keep telling you, WE are the 'ancients' for the rest of the galaxy. We have to get off this rock and get busy.

That reminds me of a short story I once read. There was this fleet of aliens that went from planet to planet conquering and whatnot. The twist was that besides intergalactic transport their technology was roughly equivalent to that of the Conquistadors. The story ends when they invade modern day Earth and get shot to ribbons by soldiers with assault rifles.

Edited by Nartwak

i never really cared about the orion theory, though i did find it intriguing. more compelling to me is the erosion theory in the area around the sphinx. there's real science in that debate.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

ZOD!

:)

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I keep telling you, WE are the 'ancients' for the rest of the galaxy. We have to get off this rock and get busy.

That reminds me of a short story I once read. There was this fleet of aliens that went from planet to planet conquering and whatnot. The twist was that besides intergalactic transport their technology was roughly equivalent to that of the Conquistadors. The story ends when they invade modern day Earth and get shot to ribbons by soldiers with assault rifles.

That sounds like fun. I read those Harry Turtledove books about lizards invading with tech about our level now, attacking us during WW2. They have a stable and slow civilisation, and they really don't know how to cope with either human aggression or our capacity to embrace change. We capture and learn their tech and ...the ending is unexpected.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That sounds like fun. I read those Harry Turtledove books about lizards invading with tech about our level now, attacking us during WW2. They have a stable and slow civilisation, and they really don't know how to cope with either human aggression or our capacity to embrace change. We capture and learn their tech and ...the ending is unexpected.

We mate with them?

Or they show Bioware the secrets of time travel?

We mate with them?

That's unexpected?

Edited by Atreides

Spreading beauty with my katana.

We mate with them?

That's unexpected?

*cue guitar and wowow peddle*

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I never really cared about the orion theory, though i did find it intriguing.  more compelling to me is the erosion theory in the area around the sphinx.  there's real science in that debate.

Wouldn't surprise me ... after all, there seems to be a direct correlation between human civilization and deforestation (look at the Romans and what they did to Italy): so it makes sense to me that there was a civilization around before the Egyptians, busily deforesting North Africa.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

the whole desert thing was due to natural causes, though human influence probably helped, but it couldn't have been much. if there was a society 10-15,000 years ago, they had to be relatively small compared to classical ancient egypt - which was already in a near desert by the time of classical ancient egypt - otherwise we would have found more evidence of their existence. of course, ancient egyptians, the classical ones, could have done a genocide to their predecessors, though i don't think they were really like that...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Plenty of African cultures (in fact plenty of tribal cultures) practice genocide as a matter of course. Maybe the Egyptians were slaves to whoever and rose up and destroyed their masters so utterly no trace was left. Merely the dry and brooding ruins whispering with sand in the depths of the Sahara...

-Elwood Blues