When is enough enough?

Atreides

How much cash or assets (convertible to cash) do you need/want before you call it quits on your job/investments and sit back to enjoy it?

Rich investors probably got there because they didn't sit back but continued to keep working, investing what they had till they are where they are now.

But eventually numbers in your bank account start to mean less if you've spent your youth number crunching and you're unable/too late to spend those numbers. Whether it's that romantic trip to the Caribbean or devoting your time to customizing bikes, why wait till you're 70?

Anyway what's that magic number that you guys would say "I've enough cash, I'm going to stop doing any work and just enjoy myself"? I guess that figure's adjusted for cash for the kids or whatever.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Since enjoying the cash involves spending it on goods and services (unless one intends to make it into a vast bed and sleep on it), then the question really depends on where you spend it. For example, 500k will not take you all that far in the United States, but in Thailand you'll live like a king.

I would be inclined to enjoy my money as I go along. You never know when you will pop your clogs.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's probably not that simple but:

If I would win or be given or work enough to have 1 000 000$CAN I would put everything in a savings account and live off the interest, which would be around 5% so 50 000$CAN a year, which is quite reasonable to live on. And I would find a relax part time job like in a Blockbuster Video or something.

However, from what I've noticed about the Rich is that the more money you have, the more you think you need.

It probably has something to do with the lifestyles of the Rich. For example, not many millionnaires will keep driving a Ford Festiva while still living in a 3 1/2 apartment downtown, even if it is very well furnished and the car is in perfect condition...

This question has a ton of variables in it. Both me and my wife are teachers. We'd like to have kids soon. That is a pretty serious crimp on the cash flow, but it's also extremely important to us. If we didn't, I'm guessing we could live much larger and retire earlier, but again, priorities.

I'd like to retire at 57. That will give me 30 years as a teacher and hopefully a very solid retirement fund to pull from. I also imagine that I can sell my house in the Bay Area (I haven't bought it yet, but that's beside the point) and use the money to buy a much cheaper house elsewhere in the country. Even with that in mind, there are just too many variables to know how much money I'll need. The government takes some, health issues seriously drain money, and I don't want to leave nothing to my children. My wife probably won't let me move out of the Bay Area either :lol:

Anyways, if I hit it big in the lottery, I'd still teach, since I love the job. I would probably invest in some real estate and use the interest like Astro. I'd teach 60% and travel extensively.

How much cash or assets (convertible to cash) do you need/want before you call it quits on your job/investments and sit back to enjoy it?

Rich investors probably got there because they didn't sit back but continued to keep working, investing what they had till they are where they are now.

But eventually numbers in your bank account start to mean less if you've spent your youth number crunching and you're unable/too late to spend those numbers.  Whether it's that romantic trip to the Caribbean or devoting your time to customizing bikes, why wait till you're 70?

Anyway what's that magic number that you guys would say "I've enough cash, I'm going to stop doing any work and just enjoy myself"?  I guess that figure's adjusted for cash for the kids or whatever.

Well if you ask a crack head that question. He'd shout back "When I'm dead!".

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

If I would win or be given or work enough to have 1 000 000$CAN I would put everything in a savings account and live off the interest, which would be around 5%

...which would be lost to inflation every year?

Sometimes there's inflation, sometimes there's depression.

Although your point is a good one nowadays. But I wouldn't stop working because for one thing, one million is not a lot anymore and also, I would go nuts.

My family arrange things like investment portfolios, and as a consequence I do not trust the industry whatsoever. IMO you are better off putting your money into things like compromising photographs of politicians, and real estate.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Was the idea of credit a benefit in the first place, has it made life easier in the long run? Sure anyone can buy a house just aout with fair credit but now we have people who are slaves to their own material goods. This is a serious question, if someone could answer it please, I've been thinking about it for awhile.

The united states seems like the donald trump of the world.

Is it fair for others to buy up all the housing property and rent it to us for a higher price then they are buying? It seems to bring up housing, and make it next to impossible to get a cheap home that is decent.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Was the idea of credit a benefit in the first place, has it made life easier in the long run? Sure anyone can buy a house just aout with fair credit but now we have people who are slaves to their own material goods.  This is a serious question, if someone could answer it please, I've been thinking about it for awhile.

The united states seems like the donald trump of the world.

Is it fair for others to buy up all the housing property and rent it to us for a higher price then they are buying? It seems to bring up housing, and make it next to impossible to get a cheap home that is decent.

You can still get a "cheap", decent home or appartment if you get out of the big cities.

Living in Montreal, I pay 650$CAN/Month for a crappy(infested with ants, falling apart, nothing includied) 4 1/2. For the same monthly payment I could have a nice house 15 minutes north of the city, all taxes included with a 10-15 years mortgage. 5 1/2 with basement and parking space(I have glorious street parking now...)

Ditto for the UK. All my coworkers and acquaintances are complaining about high house prices in the SouthEast. I say 'serves you right for being insufferable snobs and refusing to live in the North'.

-Elwood Blues