Dreamfall: The Longest Journey review

funcroc

I know hardcore adventure game fans prefer mindbenders, but I personally did not care much for the rubber ducky puzzle, which annoyed me to no end.

"How to design Adventue games 101"

Good puzzles require logic, memory and/or deduction

Bad puzzles are trial-and-error

The rubber duck, although somewhat logical when you had the solution, belongs to the bad category or the "use the bicycle pump on the chewing gum and leave that in the tarpit to get the penguin to drop the frisbee" category

I hate puzzles in games. Just show me the action and get going in the game.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Then an adventure gamer are you not.

Still, most people dont actually like Puzzles in the sense of "heres a random rubics cube" but rather logic storyline-related problems that need to be solved. Things like NPC X being kidnapped on his way to meet you in order to give you some vital information and now you have to gather clues to where he ius and who is kidnappers are, that sort of thing.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Still, most people dont actually like Puzzles in the sense of "heres a random rubics cube" but rather logic storyline-related problems that need to be solved. Things like NPC X being kidnapped on his way to meet you in order to give you some vital information and now you have to gather clues to where he ius and who is kidnappers are, that sort of thing.

I am a questing gamer. Give me a quest and I will seek out and kill the baddies to win the quest.

2010spaceships.jpg

I am a questing gamer. Give me a quest and I will seek out and kill the baddies to win the quest.

Doesn't sound like it, as a "questing gamer" would still enjoy a quest even if it had zero combat.

Doesn't sound like it, as a "questing gamer" would still enjoy a quest even if it had zero combat.

Oh no, I can not do that. It would not be a fun quest without encountering some baddies to slay, gain experiance points and loot. :mellow:

2010spaceships.jpg

Oh no, I can not do that. It would not be a fun quest without encountering some baddies to slay, gain experiance points and loot.  :)

Thats not even a questing player. Just admit it, you're a Hack N Slasher :wub:"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The Gamespot review criticizes Dreamfall for having a story that didn't tie up it's loose ends very well.

Well didn't TLJ? I mean, you were basically spammed with all these cool cultures and characters, and didn't have a clue about what happened to them after the game ended. Did Brian actually survive the Vanguard's attack on that Arcadian City whose name I cannot remember? I mean, TLJ must have had one of the worst endings relative to the rest of the story in the history of games, or even narrative fiction. I know for one thing that the top reason why I want Dreamfall is because TLJ left me hanging so badly.

I'm glad to hear that the puzzles are less complicated/obtuse. I know hardcore adventure game fans prefer mindbenders, but I personally did not care much for the rubber ducky puzzle, which annoyed me to no end.

*sigh* I really can't wait for my copy now...

The Balance was saved and April fullfilled the first part of her quest in TLJ. Dreamfall is a lot worse, Zo

It just ticks me off that I have the game on pre-order but theres atleast two pirate releases(an xbox version and a 6cd PC version) out there already. So no matter where I turn, theres always some bastard with spoilers to share.

I think you can take comfort in the fact that the european version should come on a DVD instead of six CD's..

..unless I am mistaken about that, of course.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes, it comes on a single DVD. I wish theyd send me a complimentary bag of candy to make up for the fact that the Swedish release is on the 28th, whereas the US and UK release is on the 25th :)

edit: Gah! Apparently the US release is today and the UK release is on monday the 24th :ermm:

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

Though I guess "technically" there is combat.

Attack of the furniture, attack by the panther, fighting in midair on the hosptial/asylum thingie, the escape through trafic scene etc. etc. etc.

Nah, there is plenty of "combat" in Fahrenheit (call it by it's name, damnit :) )

Now hopefully Dreamfall has more puzzles and less such things as while fun within Fahrenheit, there doesn't seem such an "8 button pad" sceme in DF, nor does it really looks the type of game where such would be fun...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

If the release is today in the US, 24'th in the UK and 28'th in Sweden.. how the hell does everyone in this thread already seem to have played the damn game?

I know it's been out as a pirated copy for a while.. :angry:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Lucky sons of ...

Dutch release: 12th of may.

Now beat that crap (good thing it is less than 40 bucks for release...but that only covers the waiting by a small bit)

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

You gotta be kidding me :angry:

I went and checked the system reqs one last time before I tried to order this...

This game requires sp2 :thumbsup:

/sigh...

and it looked so good too.

You gotta be kidding me  :angry:

I went and checked the system reqs one last time before I tried to order this...

This game requires sp2 :thumbsup:

/sigh...

and it looked so good too.

Dreamfall runs well without SP2 too.

Whew :o

Ok, I'll put it back on the list :)

I was so irked at the idea I ordered something else instead :lol: