Favorite Metal Bands

Plano Skywalker

Since a number of us have shown interest in Metal bands, I thought it

might be fun to have thread just on Metal.

I am looking to expand my horizons on the genre. I have some early Metallica

and I just picked up an Anthrax compilation.

I will probably be picking up some Iced Earth, Sepultura and Nightwish pretty soon

(yes, I know, much different kind of metal for all three), based on what I've read.

I like riffs and melodies....can't really get into Groove Metal that much.

It depends a lot, but since you seem to be going for the core bands, Plano, I'd recommend At the Gates, Death, Morbid Angel and Bathory. If one of'em tickles your fancy, so to say, there's good change you might like the other bands in that genre.

If you really want to get to Nightwish, try Wishmaster, Oceanborn and Century Child. Their earlier albums are less bombastic, but Wishmaster and Century Child at least have some consistency, Once is just Holopainen's lovechild-brainfart.

I'm not going to even try listing my fave bands. I don't think I even have any I could call favorite. Anyways, Baley will around here shortly. I'm sure you'll find his views interesting.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

What's fun:

Finntroll

Impaled Northern Moonforest

Darkthrone

Anal ****

Napalm Death

Dark Funeral

Impaled Nazarene

Dragonforce

Agreed.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I haven't listened to much metal in a while, but I've always tended to like the more melodic stuff. I don't dig the grindcore so much. Some of my favorites are Iron Maiden, Killswitch Engage, Unearth, Pantera, Shadows Fall, Megadeth and Metallica.

Pretty mainstream, I know, but there's a young, unsigned metal band outta Ohio that everyone should give a listen. Skeletonwitch is their name, and they play some seriously fast thrash metal. They probably have some mp3s on a site somewhere. I had a few classes in college with their lead guitarist, who plays a left-handed Gibson SG! OW! Rock and roll!

Edit: Oh, and In Flames. The Jester Race is a great album.

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Burzum has only one good song and that is "War".

Rammstein is a good band. Kinda simple at times but really knows how make catchy riffs and stuff. Specially "Engel" is quite the awesomness.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

A Life Once Lost

Animosity

Between the Buried and Me

Botch

Crowpath

Curl Up And Die

Daughters

Dead Blue Sky

Dead to Fall

God Forbid

Horse the Band

In Flames

Intr0naut

IVEBEENSHOT

Jesu

Kaospilot

Nile

Pelican

Quell

Radiation 4

Sincebyman

The Dillenger Escape Plan

The Red Chord

Through the Eyes of the Dead

Welcome to the Plague Year

With Dead Hands Rising

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

Is it a bad thing when I can only recognize six or seven of those bands Bulock listed?

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Does Def Leapord count? Anywho them and Black Sabbath.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Is it a bad thing when I can only recognize six or seven of those bands Bulock listed?

I wouldn't worry about it. I had a metal radio show for a while, and found a lot of smaller, indie metal bands. Also, a few of those are local bands that only recently put out a nationally distributed release.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

I wouldn't worry about it. I had a metal radio show for a while, and found a lot of smaller, indie metal bands. Also, a few of those are local bands that only recently put out a nationally distributed release.

Heh, same here. Although that's why I didn't list any besides the few genre representatives, e.g Death.

Nile is awesome. :p

kirottu said:

I'm probably more into the "heavy rockers" than the metal bands.

Old favourites includes old Iron Maiden stuff, Accept (old german band), old Kiss stuff, WASP, old Black Sabbath stuff, old Scorpions stuff (another old german band), and the odd old Metallica track :">

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Does Def Leapord count? Anywho them and Black Sabbath.

Def Leapord? hard rock, not metal, IMO....metal has a pounding pulse with rhythm guitar being very much a part of time-keeping.

UK bands like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden are thought of as the predecessors of Bay Area Thrash Metal, the first proper Heavy Metal genre. Whether Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden are properly thought of as metal bands is a debateable point, but they are certainly the predecessors of it.

Trivium, God Forbid, Atreyu, Fozzy and Still Remains.

Edited by sucky

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

I will only list a few, since my list would be very long.

Slayer

Testament

Morbid Angel

Dark Funeral

Mercyful Fate

Opeth

Theatre of Tragedy

Death Angel

Fear Factory

My Dying Bride :wub:

Sepultura

Bathory

Anthrax (Belladonna years)

Megadeth (Older)

Metallica (Albums before the Black Album)

At the Gates

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I will only list a few, since my list would be very long.

Britney Spears

Christina Aguilera

Pink

Atomic Kitten

All Saints

Spice Girls

Jessica Simpson

Kelly Clarkson

Avril Lavigne

Celine Dion

Shania Twain

TLC

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!