Oblivion Thread

Fenghuang

EDIT: ERROR.  While that page is mostly about a patch, it seems as though (upon looking closer) the charge is JUST for the new content.

My bad.

Told ya. :p

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Ok, I have the original Oblivion game.. but would it make me a pirate if a guy in my staff sent me the official expansion files for free? He bought them all and says they're just like player mods once they've been unpacked with the code you get from buying them. I realize it must be illegal, but it would still only make me feel like a mini-pirate.. :)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

EDIT: ERROR.  While that page is mostly about a patch, it seems as though (upon looking closer) the charge is JUST for the new content.

yes

30 lashes with a wet noodle.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I actually didn't get any of them, but I must admit it was tempting. For some reason it didn't feel like pirating to me, but when I thought about it from a legal standpoint (and the fact that I am a public person after all) I realized that I can never have anything even slightly suspicious on my computer. It's not uncommon for Antipiratbyr

Anyway, is anyone else getting really fed up with Oblivion? AFter playing for some 70 hours, Im starting to see through all the gloss that made it fun to play in the beginning.

Yes, the graphics are gorgeous but every friggin' NPC I meet is the same dead face with the same uninvolved voice acting. And naturally, every quest is the same too. Go to cave X, kill stuff, retrieve object/person/thingie

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It took me over 160 hours to get tired of Oblivion, so I'll just say I got my (nonexistant) money's worth.

All in all, a fantastic accomplishment and game.

It took me over 160 hours to get tired of Oblivion, so I'll just say I got my (nonexistant) money's worth.

And that pretty much proves you to be abnormal, just as we thought. :)"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I dunno. I started my third run. It's a great game. This time, my character will fall victim to the dreaded curse of vampirism, only to redeem herself. She'll be working hard to save Tamriel, but it is the fighter's guild that beckons. Still mostly a mage, however. Not any big deal, though. She can fight with firsts or spells.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

One of Oblivions major issues is that you dont really get a feel for your character. Its just a 3D model with some stats attached to it, you dont even see your name pasted into letters, dialogue etc.

In Vampire:bloodlines I felt like my character existed, I amused myself with thinking about what she did before, what her views on things were etc. Theres no doing that in Oblivion... you're just a generic "hero of Kvatch" :ermm:

I decided to play Deus Ex yesterday, instead of Oblivion (had a date with Walter Simons).

Now downloading Space Rangers 2 (demo, until it is released here in a couple of weeks), and I've got Half-Life 2: Episode 1 prepaid and installed, and NwN 2 on the horizon ..!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You know, Kasaroth, I like reading your novels.  I really do.  You're one of the most articulate and eloquent members of the forum.  ....But I just don't understand why it's meta-gaming to choose the skills that lend themselves to the survival of your character.  In real life, you're faced with choices in order to succeed.  Frankly, it's quite in-character to choose a different set of skills in order to further your long term goals.

Maybe it's just angry Eldar speaking, but I can't understand the "in-character" argument at all.  Now, the leveling system sucks, but that's a different story.

The real problem I see, and I'm not convinced it's a problem, is that the game "punishes" some character types.  It's really up to the design team to create a system where the player can't make decisions that result in a character that cannot survive to the end game.  However, decisions that lead to dead ends are part of real life.  So, arguably, all the decisions in Oblivion are quite realistic in that regard.

Hmm, it seems I may have been a bit unclear in my previous post. I have no problem at all with having to choose skills that lend themselves to the survival of your character, that is not meta-gaming at all, just the opposite in fact. My problem is that the choices that are optimal within the Oblivion ruleset are almost completely the opposite of the choices that would be optimal based on common sense.

If the ruleset matched up with common sense, there would be no problem because you could consider your options "in-character" and make a logical decision, and get a reasonably good outcome. As it is now, you have to pretty much disregard common sense and think strictly in terms of the game system to get good results. For example, it's much better to use your seconary skills whenever possible even though you're not as good at them, because you gain levels slower (so monsters progress slower) and you get bigger stat bonuses when you do gain a level, even though it seems more sensible to me to get better at what I'm good at and use it as much as possible.

-Kasoroth

Edited by Kasoroth

Yeah, that is a counter-intuitive model. It's a pain to feel compelled to use secondary skills, although mkreku is right. A character who gets normal stat bumps is certainly viable in the late game.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm holding off for a patch or two.

I really want the game though as I loved Morrowind :devil:

In case you hadn't noticed :

http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patches.htm

"For The Love Of Carnage And Discord, I Bring Annihilation And Cheap Beer!" - Mad Dwarf

"Watch that howling1. His sig used to eat cities." - Synaesthesia

"Beat me with a wet noodle huh? " - Feargus Urquhart

"the term "Board Troll" ain't a thing ta be proud o', lads" - Sargallath Abraxium

"The line between comedy and tragedy is pretty thin in these parts." - Overseer

" Grrr... ...Argh." - Darque

Query: How to actually install the freaking patch? :blink:

I doubleclick, accept it to run, then click ok.

All I get is "UPDATE ABORTED"... that's it :)

What the Hell?

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Huh...

Worked for me...

"For The Love Of Carnage And Discord, I Bring Annihilation And Cheap Beer!" - Mad Dwarf

"Watch that howling1. His sig used to eat cities." - Synaesthesia

"Beat me with a wet noodle huh? " - Feargus Urquhart

"the term "Board Troll" ain't a thing ta be proud o', lads" - Sargallath Abraxium

"The line between comedy and tragedy is pretty thin in these parts." - Overseer

" Grrr... ...Argh." - Darque