An unliving entity would be fine too

Atreides

Would you be perfectly happy with an artificial lover?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be perfectly happy with an artificial lover?

• Yes romantically, yes sexually
    • Yes romantically, not sexually
    • Not romantically, yes sexually
    • Not romantically, not sexually

PS Searle's thought experiment suffers from the reductio ad absurdum: specifically a computer is just "a CPU and a look-up table": this is only true of computers and not the later neural networks, which are more closely aligned with the parallel processing model of the human mind. :thumbsup:

What I got out of the whole debate with Searle's model is, in fact, that look-up tables, if large enough, can't be distinguished from actual intelligence. Imagine a look-up table with an entry for each unit of time in a person's life crossed with each possible stimulus during that life: the resulting look-up table would be the equivalent of the person, even if it's not doing any real "thinking." :)

There are doors

So how do you know that people are not just "computers with look-up tables"? The problem with this analysis is that it ain't science (in the strict logical positivism sense).

It makes a good point, initially, but it is, ultimately, an anachronism. Artificial Intelligence has made a lot of advances in recent decades. Back when I was at university, scientists had created a theta wave from a small series of artificial neurons. They weren't sure how they had, at the time (maybe now they do: I haven't kept up to date): it had spontaneously occurred when they switched the "mind" on. ... :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's not exactly an anachronism, because it begs the question of what constitutes as intelligence, which in turn determines our moral disposition towards using machines as "tools." (You're right in that it's not a scientific analysis - it remains a controversial question even to this day, I think) True, AI is unlikely to move in the direction of larger look-up tables, but even the most compliated of neural networks can still be reduced to a set of Turing complete logic gates, which are just 1's and 0's. From that perspective, intelligence (even human intelligence) may simply be the offspring of complexity, with little to do with the soul or lack thereof within its component parts - yet we are unwilling to make that distinction because to do so would mean that a giant look-up table, if it's ever made, is capable of intelligence and should be treated like a person.

I think this is of great relevance to the topic, actually. To use, morally, an "unliving entity" as a sex toy on the basis of its behavior being "only programming" might be considered a horrendous act of dehumanization (and very likely will eventually happen) if it cannot be established what intelligence and self-awareness truly entails.

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

Animals have souls, humans have them, well most humans at least. Machines do not nor would they ever.

Oh, so that's a fact now? Have we actually found an actual, tangible soul? Or are you just saying that because mom and dad indoctrinated it in you from youth?

Bah. Electrons and chemicals.

I think computers should be allowed to vote.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Haha, yeah.

But seriously, they should be allowed to own property.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

That kind of discriminatory thinking will only perpetuate this anti-computer rights problem!

Enslaved by the User, don't you mean?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds