Ways to fight stress

Diogo Ribeiro

Split from Missy's Lair.

I'm curious and I thought it could be a nice topic of discussion; perhaps even a couple of suggestions could spring up on how to handle stress, worries or just letting off steam.

Something I've done for years, then quit for a while then started again, is writing. I don't have any aspirations or delusions I'll ever be a writer; I think what I write is pretty mediocre, even if I post it all on a blog (how hypocritical of me, perhaps). But I just write because it gives me pleasure to do so and also because it helps me handle much of what happens around me. Problems, sorrows, stress - I usually filter most of that trough writing and sometimes find myself in writing frenzies, even, when I want to let many things out and dialogue or relaxation aren't viable alternatives. This weekend alone I went from fifteen small texts to beginning work on a screenplay (something which I've never written before) to advancing with story elements for the NWN2 project I'm working on. It may all be for naught but it helps me greatly.

Another thing I also do is to listen to music which lately has replaced playing videogames. I still play them but not for stress relief; just pure fun. I can end up picking up all the albums around the house and playing them in random order and spend an entire day like that. Strangely I found even some music which could be considered aggressive does sooth me as well.

Of course last but certainly not the least, spending time with my girlfriend is also a great way of doing this. Whenever we're together there's this chemistry where we feel we're almost totally alone and are only there for ourselves; problems temporarily stop existing. We're not only lovers, we're also great friends and this helps us and our relationship tremendously; we're proud of how we communicate all the time and share experiences, worries and perspectives on things and it does help both of us to handle many situation better.

What do you people do?

Isn't that what children sometimes do? I'm not saying you are, but I've dealt with several children in the past who had anger management problems and that seemed to be one of their recurring things, misdirected aggression. Often at themselves.

Do you have anger management problems? Being stress free doesn't exclude it...

I really don't get angry. Annoyed, yes, but real anger not really. Unless you count those stressing out periods. :wub:

The reason why I do that, and it might sound odd, is the pain allows me to refocus my mind and push back the stress away. It allows me to regain control.

The last time it happened was about 2 and a half years ago.

Edited by Judge Hades

Bit extreme, no? Your aggression under the context of stress relief doesn't have to be aimed at others as a single alternative to aggression to yourself. It's not an 'this or that' issue. I'm sure you could find other ways of putting it to some other use, like various kinds of sports or activities; specially competitive ones.

Thing is I don't feel stress until that point. My emotional behavior is is like a calm summer day with bright sunshine and a slight cooling breeze ninety-nine point nine percent of the time but then that .1% shows up without any warning you have 4 F5 tornadoes with a severe thunderstorm that is raining 10 feet of water a minute.

Its not a gradual build up. It hits all of a sudden with no triggers.

Edited by Judge Hades

I see. Well, I'd suggest trying to channel your energy in those moments into other things, if possible. If you can't control that sudden anger and block it, then best thing would be to guide it somewhere else or harness it for other things.

If you're going to punch someone in the face, though, at least make sure they deserve it.

I make jokes.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

No, I make jokes all the time, but when I get stressed, I make jokes about the situation I'm in. It rarely happens though, as I usually don't get stressed out.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Do you live in a hospital?

Yes.  Why?

Well, I was just curious because you had mentioned video games (you always see kids on T.V. playing video games in the hospital), lifting (When the elevators break down and you help carry the people with broken legs up the stairs), and morphine.

I use to stress alot, i was a chronic stresser. I took a class on philosophy and my whole mind set started to change over time. Philosophy helped me alot just to simply recognize situations and how i can deal with them in positive ways. It has showed me to realize i don't have to be upset, sad, mad, or stressed about something. It has showed me different perspectives to look through, ways to deal with situations, and methods to solving them.

Also to not take myself too seriously, to be able to laugh at myself is hugely important to me. And to have the mind frame that, all i can do is all i can do.

There are still many things I need to learn. I would really like to read more books on the topic belief in self.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I make crappy webpages/internet things in the middle of the night.

I play games/watch tv/take pictures/read in bed.

I pet & collect cats/small pets.

You try to let things, both negative or positive, flow in then flow out again, don't dwell. When I dwell, bad things happen.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Something I've done for years, then quit for a while then started again, is writing. I don't have any aspirations or delusions I'll ever be a writer; I think what I write is pretty mediocre, even if I post it all on a blog (how hypocritical of me, perhaps). But I just write because it gives me pleasure to do so and also because it helps me handle much of what happens around me. Problems, sorrows, stress - I usually filter most of that trough writing and sometimes find myself in writing frenzies, even, when I want to let many things out and dialogue or relaxation aren't viable alternatives. This weekend alone I went from fifteen small texts to beginning work on a screenplay (something which I've never written before) to advancing with story elements for the NWN2 project I'm working on. It may all be for naught but it helps me greatly.

Get in line, loser.

I like to put on my Chosen One cape and save the world <_<

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Discipline ;) .

I had a bleeding ulcer when I was 12 years old. How freeking stupid is that?!?

Seperate emotion from intellect. Tough to do I know but sometimes the situation can demand that. Baring that, find out what alleviates your stress level. With some, physical activity works. To those...try curls with 1 gallon milk containers ( no joke, it works ). To others, determine what 'intellectual' activity works. Gaming for example. I wouldn't recommend argueing on the fora ;) . That sort of thing usually gets my blood pressure up.

To those of you that have martial arts backgound...go snap a few boards. I've always found this to be satisfying. Visualize the source of your irritation on the wood and 'bust it up'! Pine is cheaper than a jail sentence! ( trust me in this ;) . Know your limits though. Don't go pounding on a 2x4 unless you know that you can break it! A busted hand will only increase your frustrations!

Sometimes reading some 'escapist' literature can do what nothing else will.

Something a little more esoteric...pick up a rock that looks like it will work. Focus the cause of your stress into it. Place the image of your frustrations into it and place the problem there. Throw the son of a bitch into a lake or pit or somewhere where it will no longer cause a problem to you or anyone else. Say goodbye to it and all the problems it caused. This is a simple 'spell' call the 'anger spell' by Starhawk. I would imagine that a Christian could modify it so as to not come into conflict with their faith.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Hardly get stressed. I'm just too plain apathetic and lazy to go around getting stressed all the time.

When I do feel the tendrils of stress curling around me, I just physically work myself to exhaustion, mostly through exercise, sweat buckets, take a hot shower, eat a nice dinner and sleep 10-14 hours. I'm ok after that.

Running is probably my stress-management tool of choice: I fit the demographic perfectly. I like to run for hours through the country, during which time the rythmic breathing causes a medatative result.

Also enjoy boxing; physically expressing any emotion expells it forcefully from the body: keeping emotions repressed will only cause long-term problems.

Games can be fun, although the life-limited ones in the arcade have been known to have the reverse effect ... ;)"

Writing and arguing, in the socratic sense, are good for me, too. But physical expression is important, even if it's just screaming into a pillow.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT