New nvidia card yet again!

Bokishi

These card manufactorers suck. What is this release a card every month? No wonder i'm stuck with an ATI 9600 at the moment. I buy something new now and it's been replaced in a few weeks with some new, powerful and uber!

palpatine.jpg

"The PC gaming market is not what it once was - graphic card manufacturers are full of greedy, squabbling executives. There is no interest in the common good. Now, if one were to choose a new console - a strong console, then this tragedy will not be allowed to continue."

manthing2.jpg

These card manufactorers suck. What is this release a card every month? No wonder i'm stuck with an ATI 9600 at the moment. I buy something new now and it's been replaced in a few weeks with some new, powerful and uber!

palpatine.jpg

"The PC gaming market is not what it once was - graphic card manufacturers are full of greedy, squabbling executives. There is no interest in the common good. Now, if one were to choose a new console - a strong console, then this tragedy will not be allowed to continue."

Oh NOES! thats the ultimate darkside. evil evil consoles. :wub:

Bokishi, hold off! I know you have the urge to buy this card, and you probably have the money, but atleast wait until an uber one comes out that is Direct X 10 Compatible. Windows Vistas is coming out this year remember.

Yea, that's what I'm doing. I'm not going to replace my faithful 7800gtx just yet ;)

Wait...I'm going to have to buy a brand new card for DX10 games?

Son of a bitch! ;)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Doesn't matter to me, I am in the market for a new card.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

palpatine.jpg

http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Their website has a countdown to this "new GPU". My first guess is that it's the 7900GX2 card, but that's not a new GPU...

Nah, I would guess that a "new GPU" would be something more revolutionary than that: Shader Model 4 compatible, perhaps? :shifty:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

But that doesnt mean you should wait until your old card is barely useable until you buy a new one :wub: And no, AGP is an obsolete and dead bus, when you upgrade Id suggest replacing your entire core (motherboard, GFX, processor)

9600? Hmm.. that must be around 3-4years old?

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

My 9600 Pro will be three years old this summer. I probably won't be able to upgrade it until next summer though. :wub: In the meantime though it seems to play everything that I want it too without too much of a hitch. Plays most things that I buy on medium settings still.

Also, if youre going for a top-of-the-line GFX then be sure to get one with 512mb like a Gf7900

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

when you upgrade Id suggest replacing your entire core (motherboard, GFX, processor)

Dual processor motherboards = too expensive to upgrade.

My motherboard cost me 1200 bucks. Not likely going to be upgrading that anytime soon. AGP will have to serve me for a little longer.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Their website has a countdown to this "new GPU". My first guess is that it's the 7900GX2 card, but that's not a new GPU...

Nah, I would guess that a "new GPU" would be something more revolutionary than that: Shader Model 4 compatible, perhaps? :)

Whoppee! Now i can buy a graphic with a technology that no game-dev supports(yet).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

But that doesnt mean you should wait until your old card is barely useable until you buy a new one :- And no, AGP is an obsolete and dead bus, when you upgrade Id suggest replacing your entire core (motherboard, GFX, processor)

9600? Hmm.. that must be around 3-4years old?

No I can't replace the motherboard, nothing wrong with it. Too much of a cost issue replacing a bunch of things when all I really need is a up to date graphics card.

You spent $1200 on a MOTHERBOARD, and it isn't PCI-E ? :-

Bought it 4 years ago before PCI-E. It has a PCI-X slot and we were wondering what the hell it was. Then PCI-X came out like a year later, lasted about 2 weeks, then PCI-E came out. I was building a computer to do 3d graphics on. So I needed a motherboard that could take 2 Intel Xeon processors. This was the cheapest one that did what I wanted.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

So it was $1200 FOUR YEARS AGO.

Hate to bring it to your attention, but, the depreciation cycle for IT hardware is three years: a straight 33 and a third percent per year.

Also, it's a sunk cost (and it was sunk a looooooooooong time ago): time to suck it up and bite the bullet!

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So it was $1200 FOUR YEARS AGO.

Hate to bring it to your attention, but, the depreciation cycle for IT hardware is three years: a straight 33 and a third percent per year.

Also, it's a sunk cost (and it was sunk a looooooooooong time ago): time to suck it up and bite the bullet!

My computer is still pretty good for being 4 years old. Dual 2.4 GHz, 2 gigs of ram, 160 GB hard drive space. Haven't even thought about an upgrade until I found out NWN2 will require shader model 2. My wimpy little Ti4600 just doesn't cut it, though it could run most games at full specs up until a few months ago.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a new GPU in the next few weeks: I am on target for about six months (estimate), as I've said before, the dust should be settled by then as to what tech is worth it and what is a white elephant.

On the bright side, you can recycle that machine as a PVR or a Linux firewall-proxy-server for your home network, or both. >_<

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT