Technology you hate

I despise cell phones. ALL cell phones.

Their existence created the "need" for them, before they were utterly useless. I don't have one and I do very fine thank you very much, even in emergencies.

I despise anything that will allow almost anyone to reach me at any time. Cell phones do that. Plus, they turn decent people into total jerks in theaters, in stores, on the road, at parties, on dates, etc.

And I won't even go in the effects it has on the younger crowd.

Useless pieces of junk.

I also have a big gripe against printers for 2 reasons.

1- Ink cartridges are the same price as a new printer (1xB&W+1xColor=1Printer easy). Seems like a ripoff to me. I just buy a new printer, cartridges are included.

2- Usually there are no cable to connect it to the computer. This is like getting a Console without a controller included. Utterly retarded!

I could also go without all those expensive sensors in cars. Correct me if I'm wrong but when one detects something wrong(that is their function), 8 out of 10 times the sensor is defective and needs to be replaced. So why have them in the first place?

Telephones don't MAKE people into arsehats, anymore than guns kill people. What you object to is not the 'phone, but the fact that it enables said arsehats to irritate you. Technology that empowers of the arsehats: that's what you hate!

Secondly, you are looking at the wrong end of the lens: the reason printers are the cost of the cartridges is because the cartridges sell the printer: the printer is sold at a loss to create the revenue stream. Re-use your old printer cables, I haven't had a problem since about 1980 with cables.

You know, you can turn your cellphone off?

And I agree - they are useful in emergencies.

If you would keep your cell phone off, why would you need one in the first place? One carries a cell phone so that others can reach him/her. It is very rare that when one needs to reach someone it cannot wait until he/she finds a payphone or a store or even getting home.

It is a convenience thing. I choose to turn my telephone on and use it. I don't have to, and I certainly don't answer it if I don't want to. Maybe if you bought your own 'phone, rather than have one given to you for work ...

Cell phones are not that usefull in case of emergencies either. Although it may help in contacting aid faster, there is still the same dependencies on others. And they will take the same time getting to you and help you, wether you contact them via cell phone or pay phone.

Example : Your car breaks down on the highway(which is not a real emergency although some panic is involved). If you have a cell phone, you call a towtruck, your boss, your friend, your familly, whoever you need, right away. If you don't have a cell phone, you either wait or you walk to find a phone. In both cases, you are completely dependant on somemone else, the towtruck driver, who will take as much time to get to you no matter which phone you used.

Of course it makes things easier sometimes but it's more like an insurance policy. You could eventually need it but most of the time you're just throwing your money away because most situations can be dealt with without one.

You obviously aren't a woman and haven't been broken down on a dark laneway. :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

i hate those machines they put jagermeister in to give you on-demand, crisp, cool satisfying jager shots. those damn liquor peddlers! death in a shot glass i tell you. i blame that machine for all my problems since running that bar while working on my degree...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Example : Your car breaks down on the highway(which is not a real emergency although some panic is involved). If you have a cell phone, you call a towtruck, your boss, your friend, your familly, whoever you need, right away. If you don't have a cell phone, you either wait or you walk to find a phone. In both cases, you are completely dependant on somemone else, the towtruck driver, who will take as much time to get to you no matter which phone you used.

Of course it makes things easier sometimes but it's more like an insurance policy. You could eventually need it but most of the time you're just throwing your money away because most situations can be dealt with without one.

If you're trapped inside your car after slamming into a tree or something and are critically wounded...that cell phone in your pocket you save for emergencies doesn't come in handy? :cat:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

If you're trapped inside your car after slamming into a tree or something and are critically wounded...that cell phone in your pocket you save for emergencies doesn't come in handy?  :cat:

Handy in earthquakes too.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I hate microwaves

Yeah, I haven't had one for years (they are really a student ready-meal facilitator). I have been tempted recently because they are necessary to heat this one desert I like (chocolate pudding), and also I can see the benefit in steaming in a microwave oven, too.

PS You did mean the ovens, right? Not just EMR of a wavelength greater than 1mm and less than 30cm ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I hate microwaves

Yeah, I haven't had one for years (they are really a student ready-meal facilitator). I have been tempted recently because they are necessary to heat this one desert I like (chocolate pudding), and also I can see the benefit in steaming in a microwave oven, too.

PS You did mean the ovens, right? Not just EMR of a wavelength greater than 1mm and less than 30cm ...

Yes, i meant the microwave ovens.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I hate cellphones. I don'r lik the idea of wherever I go some jack ass can bother me. Also I hate people who have cellphones who don't turn them off prior going into the movie theatre. Talk about rude. Also I have a dislike of cars. I don't drive. I don't need to drive. I LOVE MASS TRANSIT!

More peeople should use mass transit as much as possible.

I'm a technofreak except when it comes to automated messages. You call your credit card company to ask a question and they give you the bloody run around with all of these stupid automated questions and selections. Damn it, I want to talk to a real live person, one who speaks English at that, instead of being given the run around.